C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

2014 CLS 63S 4matic Front Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 CLS63S AMG
2014 CLS 63S 4matic Front Tire Wear

Hey - just wondering what kind of mileage most of you are getting on your fronts - and if the factory alignment specs causes inside fronts to wear faster than the rest of the tire.

I put new Michelin a/s 3+ on at 18,000 miles - had local benz dealer do an alignment at the time - and most recently another alignment at 38,000 when they did the factory recall for replacement of steering gear bolts (though the repair sheet only says "toe alignment" instead of "front alignment" same thing??).

Anyway - I'm now 2,000 miles after the last alignment - only 20,000 on the tires from new and both front inside edges are completely shot.

Ignoring the split in the attached picture, to me it looks like they put too much toe or camber - and since nothing was noted on the last repair sheet I'm thinking they screwed up the alignment - because I don't see how there could be this much wear on the inside shoulder (note how high the wear is) in only the last 2K miles without the dealer having noted "uneven wear" or "will need tires soon" on the last repair order 2,000 miles ago--since dealers love to sell tires whenever they can.

I'm obviously going to immediately replace the fronts--but before I go back to them and complain about what I think was a crappy alignment and try to get them to cover the cost of a new alignment and at least 1/2 the cost of new tires, I'm wondering what most people get out of their fronts or if you typically see inside wear.

Tires are always evenly/properly inflated - and almost all highway driving. Though driven fast - this isn't my track toy and I'm not scrubbing these tires anywhere.

Thanks

Old 12-11-2020, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Did you seriously just say "only 20,000 miles"?
You can expect tires to last about 10,000 miles.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:19 PM

2014 CLS63S AMG
Yes - cause still well below wear bars all the way around - only wear is high-up on inside edge of fronts. No other uneven wear--I run open wheel F1600s so am familiar with how tires wear - and this looks to me like wear from either excessive toe out and/or camber - so just wondering what other people have seen in wear-wise with regular street use.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:24 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Welcome!

Did you buy these at a dealer? Did you ask about them being pro rated? MB's are heavy **** cars that eat rubber, but that wear does seen strange. Also seems like the dealer may be taking you for a ride in regards to alignment......they should hold alignment pretty well, IME anyway
This may not be a very helpful post! GL to ya!
Old 12-11-2020, 05:42 PM

2014 CLS63S AMG
Yes - thanks. Bought them at the dealer - just discovered this today when I had a friend put it on a lift because it started slowly losing pressure this week. Found a small nail and thought that was it until we looked closer---will be calling the dealer on Monday.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:58 AM
SPONSOR

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Do point out the often quoted reassuring “FULL FRONT & REAR WHEEL ALIGNMENT” is only TOE (directional) adjustment!

OEM there is no Camber or Caster to resolve costly, premature edge tire wear by allowing to adjust tire contact angles, spread load more evenly. Excess edge load can also lead to higher impact, ruptured side walls.

IT IS NEW CAR INDUSTRIES BEST KEPT SECRET! IT IS ALL TO DO WITH COST CUTTING AND EVER INCREASING SPEED OF AUTO ASSEMBLY LINES.

KMAC took on the role and has the experience of “resolving OEM suspension short comings since 1964”. World’s Largest Range adjustable bushings, Arms and Strut Tops, AUDI to VOLVO.

FOR THE W218 CLS 63S 4 matic “A TOTAL SYSTEM”:

INCLUDING '3' ALTERNATE CAMBER (AND CASTER) ADJUSTER KITS FOR FRONT:

1. #503116 K $480. “LOWER ARM” kit up to 1.5 degrees (+ -) degrees Camber (and Caster). Replacing also the ‘4’ front highest wearing bushings at the same time.
Adjusting lower arms, retains clearance top of tire to outer fender when wanting to reduce inner edge wear (or when adjusting for “extra negative Camber” also increases track width!).

Other advantage of this lower arm kit is the forward facing thrust arm (Caster bushings) are Mono ball / 2 Axis. Deleting the OEM soft rubber, oil and air voided bushings, yet still allowing arms to travel through their required arc without binding, locking up.

The result is significant improvement to brake and steering response. There are available 2 Axis / spherical bearing bushings but in all out competition soon pound out. KMAC saw the need for a design breakthrough, a new generation and developed the above a design having “two and a half times” the load bearing, impact area.
​​​​​​
2. #502916-2 L $545 (Stage 2 - STREET / RACE). 502916-3 L $545 (Stage 3 - FULL RACE).
Front replacement top strut mounts Camber and Caster adjustable. Up to 3 degrees. Adjust from engine bay.

NOTE: Combination of #1 and #2 provides “TRACK DAYS” – the adjustability to hit those corner apexes every time and go deeper into the corners with improved traction and brake response. In the pursuit of “front row of the grid lap times.

FOR THE REAR SUSPENSION:

3. #502226 K $480
Lower Arm Up to 1.5 degrees (+ -) Camber (and extra Toe) adjustable bushings. Like front, precise single wrench adjustment accurate under load, direct on alignment rack. Retaining top of tire to outer fender clearance when adjusting to reduce inner edge wear.

4. #502226 - 1 M $595 Upper Camber turnbuckle adjustable arms (including extra Toe adjustment to compensate).
Unlike other brands not soft extruded aluminum but OEM design high strength forged alloy.

5. #502628 K $480 UPRATED REAR MULTI LINK ARMS (6) – Bushing kit
Less twitch, flex, loss of traction – Especially when applying power to lane change / overtake.

OUR LONG TERM EXPERIENCE IN THE INDUSTRY SHOWS WITH KMAC BEING THE ACTUAL “INVENTORS / PATENTEE’S” OF ALL THE IMPORTANT DESIGN BREAKTHROUGHS:

· Single wrench adjustment system (Precise adjustment without the need for time consuming bush removal).

· Sliding ball joint adjustment system (now the industry standard).

· Ability to adjust Mercedes (Strut models) Upper adjustable mounts from engine bay (without time consuming need for strut removal)

Last edited by K-Mac; 12-14-2020 at 01:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mjcw77 (05-28-2021)