POWER STEERING MALFUNCTION W218 COMES ON AND OFF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes benz cls w218
POWER STEERING MALFUNCTION W218 COMES ON AND OFF

Hi guys,

I've replaced on my CLS 350 W218 both sides left/right control arms, joint ***** , track rod ends &
got the front wheel alignment done.

After I've done all this work on my car, the POWER STEERING MALFUNCTION light came on, on the Dashboard, but after turning the car off for
10 minutes and start it again the fault will disappear and the car drives fine... for days sometimes.... Then it appears again all of a sudden & the steering wheel will be very stiff and hard to turn.
I've tried to reset the angel sensor by turning the steering wheel full lock to right then to left and then straight but unfortunately it didn't work the fault came back on the next day. I've checked the wiring to the steering rack and looks fine as well.

I'm really desperate from what this issue is caused.
Did this happen to anyone else?
Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP OR ADVICE!
Old 09-02-2021, 05:21 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
CLS400-3"downpipes cls63 exhaust and bbk BMS intake AMR rv3.1, 12.1@119mph 1.9 60'
Originally Posted by Ben.mrad_MB
Hi guys,

I've replaced on my CLS 350 W218 both sides left/right control arms, joint ***** , track rod ends &
got the front wheel alignment done.

After I've done all this work on my car, the POWER STEERING MALFUNCTION light came on, on the Dashboard, but after turning the car off for
10 minutes and start it again the fault will disappear and the car drives fine... for days sometimes.... Then it appears again all of a sudden & the steering wheel will be very stiff and hard to turn.
I've tried to reset the angel sensor by turning the steering wheel full lock to right then to left and then straight but unfortunately it didn't work the fault came back on the next day. I've checked the wiring to the steering rack and looks fine as well.

I'm really desperate from what this issue is caused.
Did this happen to anyone else?
Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP OR ADVICE!
Same thing happened to me. There is a sensor in the steering rack if you bang on the rack while changing front end components it will damage the sensor. i ended up buying a new rack for around $4k and had mercedes install it. It needs to be coded to the car.