Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 03:39 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
Thumbs up The Spare Tire

Greetings Gents

Had a tire go flat today on the highway: I ran over something and heard it toppling under my car, then felt the car pulling right......TPM came on reading 21psi. The tire usually hold about 46psi when hot so I knew something was wrong. I pulled off at the next exit and at the stop sign the number hit ZERO! I drove about 1 1/2 or 2 miles more to pull over at a safe place. I figured I could use my collapsible spare. I took it out, plugged in the pump device to my cigarette lighter and it worked flawlessly. not bad for just sitting for 11 years huh? Then I realized the lug nuts are aftermarket and I don't have the correct adapter...so I called AAA.
Got the car home safe and I hope the wheel isn't bent BUT I was totally impressed with the spare tire and the pump! The tire had no dry rot at all and looks to be in perfect shape! Kudos to MB
I'm hoping tomorrow at Discount Tire the guys can deflate the thing back to it's original size. Not a big deal though if not as it sits underneath the floor of the trunk as you other CLS drivers know. (If you have one).

End of story
The following users liked this post:
Robjr (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 10:47 PM

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts
CLS 63 and M4
My spare tire makes a really loud thumping sound. Rattles the whole car
Old 02-01-2023, 02:27 PM

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
GLK350
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Greetings Gents

Had a tire go flat today on the highway: I ran over something and heard it toppling under my car, then felt the car pulling right......TPM came on reading 21psi. The tire usually hold about 46psi when hot so I knew something was wrong. I pulled off at the next exit and at the stop sign the number hit ZERO! I drove about 1 1/2 or 2 miles more to pull over at a safe place. I figured I could use my collapsible spare. I took it out, plugged in the pump device to my cigarette lighter and it worked flawlessly. not bad for just sitting for 11 years huh? Then I realized the lug nuts are aftermarket and I don't have the correct adapter...so I called AAA.
Got the car home safe and I hope the wheel isn't bent BUT I was totally impressed with the spare tire and the pump! The tire had no dry rot at all and looks to be in perfect shape! Kudos to MB
I'm hoping tomorrow at Discount Tire the guys can deflate the thing back to it's original size. Not a big deal though if not as it sits underneath the floor of the trunk as you other CLS drivers know. (If you have one).

End of story
If you pull the valve core from the stem it will deflate back to the original(small) diameter in a few seconds. I have done this on my spare.
hyperion667 (02-01-2023)
Old 01-19-2024, 02:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 CLS63 S AMG
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Greetings Gents

End of story
Great story. Because of your story, I'm going to add an air compressor to my trunk. My 2014 CLS63 has the spare, collapsed in all its glory, but no air compressor that I can find. I know there's one in the car becuase the rear airbags inflate after deflating... maybe I'm missing something. Good story.
hyperion667 (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 06:48 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by TomGlander
Great story. Because of your story, I'm going to add an air compressor to my trunk. My 2014 CLS63 has the spare, collapsed in all its glory, but no air compressor that I can find. I know there's one in the car becuase the rear airbags inflate after deflating... maybe I'm missing something. Good story.
Thanx for your comment. It's worth having one for sure
If you bought the car used it's very possible the previous owner kept the A.C. for themselves.