Clunking Sound from Front Right When Turning Wheel Slow Speed / Reverse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 CLS63s AMG
Question 2018 CLS63s CLUNK Sound

Good Day Everyone,
Purchased a 2018 CLS63s from Carmax few months ago (9/23). Car has 55k miles on it, approaching B2 service.

Prior to my purchase, they replaced the front control arms on both sides due to "steering makes knocking sound" and "steering wheel stick". As additional color, the hood was repainted and a piece of the undercarriage (felt fabric) had damage. So I presumed the previous owner had a curb strike worthy of remembrance (and perhaps sale) but after a PPI by local Euro-Auto shop (honest folks evidenced by being in business for decades) everything mechanical came back clean, no issues.

Since purchase I have had no issues (absent an oxygen sensor) until about 3 weeks ago when, typically upon a cold start, while backing out of my parking spot, turning the wheel to left and applying light braking, there is a loud CLUNK when the wheel is turned call it three fourths of maximum coming from the front right wheel/suspension/area. It can be felt in the steering wheel and certainly doesn't sound great,. However, it doesn't recur while driving and there are no performance issues (brakes fine, turns fine, responsive etc.) Only other breadcrumb is that the car has developed a general creaking / squeaking when navigating the roadways but this has become more pronounced after a couple weeks of THE CLUNK sound.

I suspect it is the same issue that Carmax attempted to negate in replacing the control arms prior to purchase that has re-emerged - but their internal notes on the subject are "steering makes knocking sound" and "steering wheel stick" so not much on narrative.

Any thoughts from the community? I am worried that the CLUNK is going to cause more material damage to the vehicle as again, sounds like metal on metal and its strong enough to be felt in the steering wheel, but ultimately disappears once warm (although the squeak remains). Taking it into the shop mid next week and will revert back with their findings but curious if anyone else has experienced this and if so, how costly a fix I am staring down. Thanks in advance everyone!

Last edited by HRH665; 01-19-2024 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-22-2024, 08:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 CLS63 AMG S 4Matic
The lower control arms appear to be a recurring issue due to poor bushing fit. Most repeat failures are driver's side. You'll find a few threads if you search.

Control Arm