C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

CLS550 Exhaust and Tuning Questions: Looking for Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 03:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
CLS550, SLK350
CLS550 Exhaust and Tuning Questions: Looking for Advice

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I've owned a CLS550 for about 2 years now and I've been enjoying it without any issues. I have a few questions and would appreciate your insights.

Firstly, I'm considering a muffler delete since the car is very quiet, but I don't want to cause noise disturbances for my neighbors. I'm thinking of deleting only the primary resonator and muffler while keeping the x-pipe style secondary resonator. I understand that installing a new x-pipe would make the sound louder and better, but I don't want to bother my neighbors. Would this setup cause any issues for the mid resonator? Has anyone here tried a similar setup, or what are your thoughts on this?

Secondly, I'm considering OE tuning, specifically stage 1, and I'm thinking about doing it during a sale at the end of the year. I'm also considering a bubble tune. I'm curious about how the sound would be if I don't delete the muffler or resonator but go for the bubble tune instead. If the sound is decent, I might skip the muffler delete and just go with the bubble tune. I'm hopeful that OE tuning will have a Black Friday sale this year.

Wishing everyone safe driving and a great day!
The following users liked this post:
SALES@OETUNING (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 07:39 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2012 CLS550
I can't comment on the exact setup you're considering because I deleted both mufflers and resonators. I will say that it is very loud on a cold start, but when you're just driving it's not loud. No drone inside or out. Now if I get on it and the RPM jumps to 4000+, it's going to be loud. Maybe start with just the mufflers and leave the 2 resonators in place. I did that for about 3 days and brought it back for them to finish taking the resonators off. I knew I didn't want them in the first place, but due to a misunderstanding, they left them on at first. It actually sounds similar to how it does now, just more subdued. If you are going to do more than stage 1, then you are going to want to do the full exhaust. The sound difference between having a tune and running without one is also a noticeable difference. I got my exhaust done first and had it tuned a couple of weeks later. Keep us posted, good luck, and enjoy the ride!
skyline005 (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 02:48 AM

CLS550, SLK350
Originally Posted by RavenCLS
I can't comment on the exact setup you're considering because I deleted both mufflers and resonators. I will say that it is very loud on a cold start, but when you're just driving it's not loud. No drone inside or out. Now if I get on it and the RPM jumps to 4000+, it's going to be loud. Maybe start with just the mufflers and leave the 2 resonators in place. I did that for about 3 days and brought it back for them to finish taking the resonators off. I knew I didn't want them in the first place, but due to a misunderstanding, they left them on at first. It actually sounds similar to how it does now, just more subdued. If you are going to do more than stage 1, then you are going to want to do the full exhaust. The sound difference between having a tune and running without one is also a noticeable difference. I got my exhaust done first and had it tuned a couple of weeks later. Keep us posted, good luck, and enjoy the ride!

Thank you for the advice and sharing your experiences. Assuming I go ahead with stage 1 at the end of the year, I'll try deleting the muffler and primary resonator first as I initially planned. I don't have any plans for stage 2 at the moment. I'm hoping that the sound difference with stage 1 combined with muffler and primary resornator delete will be just what I'm looking for. I'll share my experience once I delete the muffler and primary resonator.

By the way, did you delete the secondary resonator and use an x-pipe or h-pipe, or did you connect it directly? I'm also curious about the sound difference with and without muffler tips. I'm planning to replace the diffuser to install AMG tips in the future. I'm taking my time and handling things step by step. Thanks again for your input!
Old 07-02-2024, 05:24 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2012 CLS550
I deleted the x pipe and ran a true dual exhaust. The x or H pipe is where the exhaust flows mix and since mine doesn't do that, it creates a unique sound. The tips have no effect on the sound, just the look. The sound is going to be affected by which resonators and mufflers you delete, how you run the exhaust, and the tune.
skyline005 (07-03-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 10:23 PM

CLS550, SLK350
Originally Posted by skyline005
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I've owned a CLS550 for about 2 years now and I've been enjoying it without any issues. I have a few questions and would appreciate your insights.

Firstly, I'm considering a muffler delete since the car is very quiet, but I don't want to cause noise disturbances for my neighbors. I'm thinking of deleting only the primary resonator and muffler while keeping the x-pipe style secondary resonator. I understand that installing a new x-pipe would make the sound louder and better, but I don't want to bother my neighbors. Would this setup cause any issues for the mid resonator? Has anyone here tried a similar setup, or what are your thoughts on this?

Secondly, I'm considering OE tuning, specifically stage 1, and I'm thinking about doing it during a sale at the end of the year. I'm also considering a bubble tune. I'm curious about how the sound would be if I don't delete the muffler or resonator but go for the bubble tune instead. If the sound is decent, I might skip the muffler delete and just go with the bubble tune. I'm hopeful that OE tuning will have a Black Friday sale this year.

Wishing everyone safe driving and a great day!
Sharing my stock exaust sound before I delete resornators to compare. Will update the sound soon with resornators delete

RavenCLS (07-18-2024)