C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

AXIS wheels--- good or bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NSX
Guys FYI, these "regulations" you are all talking about are pretty lax... they are OK for a Corolla... not for a CLS. Almost any crappy wheel can pass these regulations.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NSX
Originally Posted by Ken Uyeda
Definately designed for everyday use on public roads versus the super light wheels that will give you killer performance on the track but will not hold up too well for everyday use due to pot holes, railroad tracks, etc etc...
Ken actually forged wheels are not only lighter but also stronger, so they generally hold up better for the most part in potholes, etc. Most of these cast wheels are aluminum, so they are not any better than a forged aluminum wheel in potholes, all else being equal. Steel wheels are more resistant, but no one like Antera is going to use heavy steel. Also the weight of the entire tire/wheel assembly does determine the severity of the impact. Going with a 19" or God forbid a 20" wheel cast... well... I just hope you drive on smooth roads. Because it will bend.

Besides all this, I do have to question the logic of paying extra money for wheels that are not as good as your stock wheels in terms of performance. I like that Antera a lot, I just think its better for a lesser car.