Modifications and factory warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modifications and factory warranty

Hello chaps,

Seriously, is anyone in the forum well versed legally regarding aftermarket modifications, like the ones offered by MBzNL - folding mirrors, etc?

How would that affect a new car's warranty?

Kind regards,

Orazio
Old 03-12-2006, 11:14 AM

2012 CLS63
Someone offers power folding mirrors for the CLS Class? I really miss that feature from my former 2003 S 430. If this is availabe I would like to know who to contact.

MB has always told me that if a problem can be traced to a mod, your warranty will not cover the cost of repair. However that will not void your warranty for non related problems.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:44 PM

cls
The 2007 S550 (w221) is the same exact mirrors as the CLS (w219), but the W221 has the power folding feature in it.

You can go to your local dealer and just buy the "mirror support base" for each side of the vehicle (which includes the motor). Don't order the complete outside mirrors unit because you can re-use your W219 mirrors and cover on this new support base. I know this will work because I added them to my CLS.

I don't know the exact price for the support base, because the I got mine for free (it's nice to know someone who owns a body shop). He had a S 550 with damaged mirrors. Since they had to install new complete mirrors he gave me the old support base. He said the support base would be about $210 for each side (but I would double-check witht the part dept.)

Two wires will then have to be added to your door control unit/module. Pin 4 and 5 on the white connector (not the black connector).

Finally the door control unit/module will need to be programed by the dealer. It took them 1 minuted to do. On the Star Diag. program, the sevice tech just clicked on "Present" instead of "Not present" on the mirror settings.

The power fold-in button is not needed for them to work, so it not necessary to buy it.

If you need more info or ?'s on the install let me know.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Banned

Please post pics of them on your CLS folded up and down. Thank you
Old 03-14-2006, 01:05 PM

cls
Sorry, but my digital camera is broken. Trust me they are the same exact mirror, just manually fold-in your mirrors if you want to know how they look like.