http://videos.streetfire.net/categor...DBA96AB2C0.htm
Old 04-26-2006, 05:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
boy they really dumped on the jag and its engineers
Old 04-30-2006, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 E550C
In all fairness to the shootout, it was a 06 CLS55 vs a very old-design, whale of a Jag. the XJR has been around for eons. A fairer comparo would have been with the SType-R. Same engine as the XJR, a little heavier, but much tighter chassis and far more rigid.
I own one and have driven the XJR as well, and the difference is remarkable. The XJR felt very much like it showed in the video: loose, lots of body lean, coming off line at the slightest road bump, little traction, questionable balance.

The SType-R is a different animal. It's very much fun to drive in the twisties and switchbacks (White Mountains). Tight, predictable lean, consistent smooth line and solid, confident exits from the turn. The Jgate automatic and all the nanny-tronics, that can't be switched off, hold it back. Hopefully Jag will up the engine, lighten the car by 200lbs and give an option to disable the nanny stuff in the 2008 model.

The CLS55 seems like a superior ride and obviously more powerfull, but at least they should match it with the best Jag coupe, not the whale.

The SType-R is also less expensive than the CLS55 by at least 20K. I haven't driven the CLS55, but I am definetely thinking about grabbing one or the CLS63, depending on price or performance. Anyone know the price for the CLS63 yet?
Old 04-30-2006, 03:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by atgd
In all fairness to the shootout, it was a 06 CLS55 vs a very old-design, whale of a Jag. the XJR has been around for eons. A fairer comparo would have been with the SType-R. Same engine as the XJR, a little heavier, but much tighter chassis and far more rigid.
I own one and have driven the XJR as well, and the difference is remarkable. The XJR felt very much like it showed in the video: loose, lots of body lean, coming off line at the slightest road bump, little traction, questionable balance.

The SType-R is a different animal. It's very much fun to drive in the twisties and switchbacks (White Mountains). Tight, predictable lean, consistent smooth line and solid, confident exits from the turn. The Jgate automatic and all the nanny-tronics, that can't be switched off, hold it back. Hopefully Jag will up the engine, lighten the car by 200lbs and give an option to disable the nanny stuff in the 2008 model.

The CLS55 seems like a superior ride and obviously more powerfull, but at least they should match it with the best Jag coupe, not the whale.

The SType-R is also less expensive than the CLS55 by at least 20K. I haven't driven the CLS55, but I am definetely thinking about grabbing one or the CLS63, depending on price or performance. Anyone know the price for the CLS63 yet?
The XJR as of the first year of the updated bodystyle (2003 or 4, i think?) is a new chassis, etc.; loads of aluminum for lighter weight, etc. It's a newer design than the S Type R; they kept the legacy appearance of the older XJ's with minor updating, but it's a much updated car and really not much like the older ones according to Jaguar. In fact, due to the aluminum, the current XJR is quicker/faster than the S Type R.