In need of a little help and understanding of my K4 Dyno

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
In reality, these cars are putting out closer to 500 HP, and you're underestimating the power-increase potential of the mods. Just the basic pulley, headers, and proper ECU tune can result in about a 60-75 HP increase - and you will feel that. With a little practice and some aid from ESP, a 1/4-mile time improvement of 0.5 seconds and a trap speed increase of 5 mph are not unusual. Those numbers are significant. All this and daily driveability doesn't diminish. Warranty, on the other hand . . .
60 to 75 isn't bad and yes you will feel that, but I'd rather drop some weight on the car with lighter wheels and more time on the drag strip
Old 06-11-2006, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.....I don't thik you hijacked the thread at all. Your concerns are quite valid given that the thread starter is not able to get the HP increases he desires with his mods. I definitely agree wth you that tuners are exergerating their promises and this does lead some of the dissatisfaction. However you can get significant increase in power that you can feel, not just 20-30HP. My G55 K4 dynoed at 389HP stock and after the mods, it dynoed at 491HP at the whee. This is a increase in wheel HP of 102 or an increase of 140HP to the crank. This takes the HP from 469 to 654 and torque went from 420 to over 700. You should see the 4wheel drive spin all 4 tires at take off. So it is not just an excercise in futility.

Ted
Ted, now thats a great increase on HP, what exactly was done to achieve that increase, and can you give us a idea as to what kind of $$ and overall time spent on achieving this. I think people should be aware of the positives as well as the negatives to these modifications. We all hear about how much HP increase we have, but many fail to mention what they had to go through in order to achieve this. Of course this post is a perfect example of the pain in the *** we have to go through to get what we paid for. I get so discouraged at times because the automotive industry fails to live up to what they sell. It's as if we have to pay them to learn how to work on our cars. A good shop should acknowledge this and charge us accordingly. When you spend good money to have your car modified, you shouldn't have to return it several times to get what you paid for the first time. The tuner should start refunding your hard earned $$ each time, because time is money and I know my time is better spent working rather then dropping a car off, getting it dyno'd and spending additional $$
Old 06-11-2006, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin M.
60 to 75 isn't bad and yes you will feel that, but I'd rather drop some weight on the car with lighter wheels and more time on the drag strip
Yes, I agree with the lighter-is-better philosophy. But, you need to lose about 100 pounds for every 10 HP equivalent gain. That severely restricts the amount of available gain in these cars - maybe 20 HP with wheels, rotors, exhaust, and random items. Even if you also remove the passenger seat, rear seat, and spare tire, you're still only looking at about 35-40 HP total improvement. Not much bang for the buck compared to just a pulley & ECU tune, which is good for about 50-60 HP.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:21 PM

Kleeman should have some way to datalog the dyno runs, if they don't, then they are nothing more than backyard hacks.

Minimum would be to fit a boost gauge while dyno tuning to see what boost you are getting if thats OK and the AFR's are ok.

Then hit the track and see if it's not just the dyno reading low.

Could be convertor issues?
Old 06-12-2006, 04:40 PM

MB 2006 CLS55 K4/LSD, 2006 VY C6Z06, 2005 X5 4.4
STIFF1

I have an appointment tom. at 10:00 am with a dynojet for my CLS55 K4, we will see what the numbers say?

MG
Old 06-13-2006, 02:44 PM

Ok have good news and bad news, the bad new is it dyno'e at 417whp, and 477 Tor. The good news is we know why. My CLS was at MB for a fuel pump replacement, while it was there they reflashed the ECU, I called Cory and I sent him the ECU today. He said once it's done I should be at 500whp, which is what expect I should have back by Thursday and I will redyno it. and let everyone know the final outcome. I hope.

So will still awaiting to see if the mods are really worth it!

MG
Old 06-13-2006, 04:19 PM

I don't know . . . . . you might have good news and not so good news - the bad news might still be coming. Unless I'm missing something here, I don't see how they're going to get 83 HP from an EC tune. Did Cory say anything to you about what's causing the large discrepency? If not, it might be worth another phone call. I don't think the cams are aggressive enough to need an ECU re-write. If he can't explain it to your (our) satisfaction, maybe he should personally deliver it to you. Just a thought.

Last edited by Grumpy666; 06-13-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:54 PM

2006 CLS55 K4
I'm with Grumpy on this one. I really hope that I'm wrong and the car makes a lot more power then your current 417. This would give me a little more hope that I may actually get my problem fixed. Right now the car is going in for a compression tesst tomorrow to check if there is anything wrong with the valves. After that it seems like nobody has any idea what to do next, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:21 PM

I alittle worried too, but I hoping for 480 at the least, so 63 different. Anything under would be very bad, maybe their a hidden limit, or the cams and tb are a waste of money. I know all tuner give bigger number, so I lowered my expecations. Assumming my car base was, let say 400 then 480 wouldn't be horrible and I think realistic. Kleemann claims 171 hp at the crank increase for K4 with exhaust, I don't have their exhaust. So let say 156 without exhaust, so now lets take 20 percent off for a more realistic number, so 126 about at the crank, now 19% off for drivetrain loss, so 100 at the RW. So and 80RWHP increase is realistic. 100 is wishful. But we will see. Cory seemed pretty confident that 490-500 can be achieved. The independant tuner dynoing the car said that with the proper tune, it should reach 480. If I had to bet money I would go against it, which is going to get me mad. I am trying not to think about it, lets see the facts first. As soon as I get more results good or bad I will let you guy know. Thanks

MG
Old 06-13-2006, 07:53 PM

Can you post today's dyno pull?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:15 PM

i left in my office, I'll try and scan it tom. thanks

mg
Old 06-13-2006, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
Milton,

How did it go? Did it beat your expectations?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:34 AM

SL65 AMG
I can relate to what is going on here. Cory emailed me my baseline and it was down from the "factory" claims. The k2 upgrade they added did what they said it would within 5-10hp. My next amg or sports car will be dynoed before I buy. My engine was built by Guido Nordheim and he left out about 35hp and 20lbft but the k2 added 94hp and 110lbft. The only problem I have had with the car is the cel due to the down pipes. I am a little upset about that but its the price you pay. I have sent my ecu to kleemann twice but the ecu will not let us get rid of the cel. They did send me the parts needed to relocate my o2 sensor to fool the ecu, we will see if this helps. Good luck to you and maybe you just have a weaker car as I did.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by 06E55
I can relate to what is going on here. Cory emailed me my baseline and it was down from the "factory" claims. The k2 upgrade they added did what they said it would within 5-10hp. My next amg or sports car will be dynoed before I buy. My engine was built by Guido Nordheim and he left out about 35hp and 20lbft but the k2 added 94hp and 110lbft. The only problem I have had with the car is the cel due to the down pipes. I am a little upset about that but its the price you pay. I have sent my ecu to kleemann twice but the ecu will not let us get rid of the cel. They did send me the parts needed to relocate my o2 sensor to fool the ecu, we will see if this helps. Good luck to you and maybe you just have a weaker car as I did.
...........i have the O2 sensor error code and the check engine light. I did the ECU re-call work thinking it will fix the problem and it didn't. I have placed a spacer before the o2 sensor to fool the car and it worked for a week and check engine light came back on. I do not know if this is the same thing you are about to do. Let me know if it works, I am interested in a solution

Ted
Old 06-14-2006, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Well that settles it then....Guido F'In SUCKS!!!!! I have a Guido motor and she pulled 496 on Cory's dyno....WITH ECU mod and K n N's. That means I was pumping wellll below factory specs to start. Again, while Gid-e-up pulled 517 bonnnne stock.
Never thought I would say this but next AMG I get......I am checking the faceplace first. If Guido signed it....walk away. How the hell can these guys make one engine with 40-50 LESS hp with all the same parts in the shop.

DEATH to Guido!!!!welll ya know maybe not death, but I'm still pis sed!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:16 PM

At least my Z06 dyno'd at 444 rwhp, now let the mods begin. We will redyno'd today after the headers, Ported TB, and Tune is done.

MG
Old 06-14-2006, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55

Thats BS guys, these engines are tested before they go into the cars, if they don't meet the spec's they give us by 1 to 2% they don't pass inspection. I was just at the factory 3 weeks ago. Also who are you going to believe a Billion dollar company or a small little tuner that can't live up to what he's selling you?
Old 06-14-2006, 02:50 PM

SL65 AMG
[QUOTE=Ted Baldwin]...........i have the O2 sensor error code and the check engine light. I did the ECU re-call work thinking it will fix the problem and it didn't. I have placed a spacer before the o2 sensor to fool the car and it worked for a week and check engine light came back on. I do not know if this is the same thing you are about to do. Let me know if it works, I am interested in a solution

Ted[/QUO

This cel was one of the things I asked kleemann about before the mods, but like anything if you monkey with one thing it will affect another. I dont know what they sent me in the mail. They could be spacers they are threaded round bolt types with some wire as well. I have not had the time to do anything with it. I know kleemann was working on some new program to try and get rid of the cel so I may just wait it out or live with the light? I was wondering if I added the kleemann cats if it would go away? Just a thought. I will keep you posted of any progress. Thanks for letting me kow your issue too. What year is your car?
Old 06-14-2006, 04:32 PM

This cel was one of the things I asked kleemann about before the mods, but like anything if you monkey with one thing it will affect another. I dont know what they sent me in the mail. They could be spacers they are threaded round bolt types with some wire as well. I have not had the time to do anything with it. I know kleemann was working on some new program to try and get rid of the cel so I may just wait it out or live with the light? I was wondering if I added the kleemann cats if it would go away? Just a thought. I will keep you posted of any progress. Thanks for letting me kow your issue too. What year is your car?
It sounds like they sent you an O2 simulator. When you remove the primary cat, the secondary O2 sensor is exposed to the rapid rich/lean cycling caused by the primary sensor when it's adjusting the A/F ratio. When the ECU detects that the secondary sensor is cycling rapidly, it assumes that the cat has failed and sets a code. The simulator plugs into the secondary O2 connector and fools the ECU by sending the appropriate signal.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:12 PM

06 CLS55
Headache

Yo guys, I have a headache just reading this. I can't imagine having to live through this with my car, I wouldn't be pissed I would be livid.

I think the mistake here was not getting the car dynoed before all the mods. It's hard to tell now with out a baseline if the mods worked or didn't.

I don't know much about these mods but there is always a starting point with any modification and since the car was never dynoed I think you'll keep going in circles.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck hopefully you can get some of your money back.

Clos
Old 06-15-2006, 04:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by clos
Yo guys, I have a headache just reading this. I can't imagine having to live through this with my car, I wouldn't be pissed I would be livid.

I think the mistake here was not getting the car dynoed before all the mods. It's hard to tell now with out a baseline if the mods worked or didn't.

I don't know much about these mods but there is always a starting point with any modification and since the car was never dynoed I think you'll keep going in circles.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck hopefully you can get some of your money back.

Clos
..........werd!!!

Ted