C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

ran w/ my freinds M5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 e55
Originally Posted by E55_POWER
rbc55, have you dyno'ed your car? Your car seems aweful strong based on your experience. On the contrary my experience has been totally opposite but with more than 3 cars by 147ish from about 80MPH.

Yes, don't ask me why, but there is something funky done to the M5 after 1200 mile service...car is just different.

I've had my M6 for month and a half and feels the same as the M5 actually. Can't wait for the DC area MB guys to hit the track again...Derek, anyone?
no i never have had my car dynoed.if i do the renntech ecu/pulley which i am contemplating then i will do so.my car only trapped 113 mph @12.6 when it had only 400 miles on it so i don't think it's even a strong car but haven't been back to the track nor am i interested since those numbers don't really matter to me as my few encounters w other cars are on the street and few and far between .from an 8o mph roll i could see the race being different but i have been racing on the street for 20 years and never have i started a race at that speed,it' just not realistic .but i will race any M5 AGAIN FROM ANY SPEED THEY WANT,YOU JUST DON'T RUN ACROSS THEM OFTEN ESPECIALLY WHEN I DRIVE MY CAR 200 -300 MILES PER MONTH
Old 07-18-2006, 07:44 AM

CLS55 AMG
E55 POWER,

Let me know when you guys get together. I'm only about 50 miles away.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:27 PM

2005 Brilliant Silver E55
Originally Posted by BlackCard
E55 POWER,

Let me know when you guys get together. I'm only about 50 miles away.

The weather sux right now, but I will try to get in touch with the other AMG guys to see if we can rent the track. Spero should have his Z06 by now I think.

rbc55, I hope you didn't take anything I said the wrong way...you won the race and that's that, not contesting it at all, nor am I going to make excuses for the M5 that you beat. You beat him and that's that.

As for never racing from 80, well I ran my M5 against my buddy's E55 (bone stock - honestly I don't think he's a good driver) from 20, 30, 60 and 80. While the outcome was always different, off the line the M just didn't have a chance. I won't go into the outcome from a 30MPH roll because I don't want you to get the impression that I'm challinging your outcome.

Too bad you're in FL, otherwise we can all meet up at Capitol Raceway and all have a great time, bunch of great folks come out.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:12 PM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by E55_POWER
The weather sux right now, but I will try to get in touch with the other AMG guys to see if we can rent the track. Spero should have his Z06 by now I think.

rbc55, I hope you didn't take anything I said the wrong way...you won the race and that's that, not contesting it at all, nor am I going to make excuses for the M5 that you beat. You beat him and that's that.

As for never racing from 80, well I ran my M5 against my buddy's E55 (bone stock - honestly I don't think he's a good driver) from 20, 30, 60 and 80. While the outcome was always different, off the line the M just didn't have a chance. I won't go into the outcome from a 30MPH roll because I don't want you to get the impression that I'm challinging your outcome.

Too bad you're in FL, otherwise we can all meet up at Capitol Raceway and all have a great time, bunch of great folks come out.
i don't think the M5 driver really knew what gear he should be in when we raced as i heard him downshifting,seemed to be at the wrong speed except one time from a first gear roll.he was at the optimum speed and in first gear and i was in first gear but at the wrong speed,he jumped me half car or so but i reeled him back in the minute i shifted into second then we had both run up on cars in front of us and had to step out of it.even with automatics and smg transmissions there are still some who know nothing about powerbands and shift points and thats what seperates the men from the boys.and no i didn't take it the wrong way,but some others who post make idiotic statements and i am more than happy to put them in their place. there seems to be a lot of people who have the $$$ to spend on these cars but lack the experience and knowledge on how to drive them.for me it's almost second nature as i've been at it for decades.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:59 AM

Lexlyf is RIGHT and ANDREWAZ is WRONG!!

There is DEFINITELY a mandatory service for the E60 M5. They change the differential oil (from a transitional fluid to the permanent oil). They also unlock the S6 dynamic of the SMG which shifts at the fastest sequence available (neck-snapping gear changes). At some point AFTER the mandatory 1200 mile service the Launch Control (albeit a crippled one for the US market) will become available and unlocked. The unlocking procedure is done by the Service crew but the LC unlocks on its own a few hundred miles later according to a set algorithm which takes into account the driving style of the driver
Old 07-20-2006, 02:22 AM

SL55 AMG Black on Berry Red
ditto
Old 07-20-2006, 04:13 AM

The M cars have a mandatory service after break in. The original oil put in the car for break in, is thicker just to break it in. M cars generally run much better with some miles put on it. Also the E60 M5 should be in P500S mode for it run its fastest, some guys still dont know this. Another thing is although BMW puts speed limiters, they only put it on the top gear, whatever speed you can hit on the lower gears is not limited. The speedometer should be off by alittle but not anyhing like 20mph.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by RezF
Lexlyf is RIGHT and ANDREWAZ is WRONG!!

There is DEFINITELY a mandatory service for the E60 M5. They change the differential oil (from a transitional fluid to the permanent oil). They also unlock the S6 dynamic of the SMG which shifts at the fastest sequence available (neck-snapping gear changes). At some point AFTER the mandatory 1200 mile service the Launch Control (albeit a crippled one for the US market) will become available and unlocked. The unlocking procedure is done by the Service crew but the LC unlocks on its own a few hundred miles later according to a set algorithm which takes into account the driving style of the driver
What they do at a M5 break in service....

They replace the oil, they check all the electrical systems, they reset the CBS ( The CBS is a monitor that makes sure everything is running good, when they replace the break in oil with the normal oil they must reset this because the new oil is different and will trip up the CBS sensor. So when people talk about resetting things they might we talking about the CBS sensor)

On my M3 I used S5 mode from day 1 and put it into S6 mode way before my 1,200 mile service....
Old 07-20-2006, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by SCM3
The M cars have a mandatory service after break in. The original oil put in the car for break in, is thicker just to break it in. M cars generally run much better with some miles put on it. Also the E60 M5 should be in P500S mode for it run its fastest, some guys still dont know this. Another thing is although BMW puts speed limiters, they only put it on the top gear, whatever speed you can hit on the lower gears is not limited. The speedometer should be off by alittle but not anyhing like 20mph.
Finally another BMW M/// owner that can help put to rest SMG myths lol.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:34 AM

2005 Brilliant Silver E55
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
What they do at a M5 break in service....

They replace the oil, they check all the electrical systems, they reset the CBS ( The CBS is a monitor that makes sure everything is running good, when they replace the break in oil with the normal oil they must reset this because the new oil is different and will trip up the CBS sensor. So when people talk about resetting things they might we talking about the CBS sensor)

On my M3 I used S5 mode from day 1 and put it into S6 mode way before my 1,200 mile service....

I believe they also changed the Diff oil on my M5 and M6 along with some programming.

I was not able to use S6 on my car...I'll admit that I didn't really look for it though.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:45 AM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by SCM3
are you running a turbo set-up on your m3,just curious because i know the supercharged e46 m3 with stock compression don't generate anything close to those numbers,but i have a couple of friends w/e36 m3 with single turbo set-ups generating some real strong numbers.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:45 PM

2006 cls55 amg 2008 GL550 2011 audi R8 V10
On a interesting note I took my car in to have the windshield replaced and asked the service manager if my car had the "dreaded o2 pump recall/TSB (see e55 threads) and sure enough it did 1 month proir to me purchasing it.
Now.... i wonder if my car is "slower" than before the TSB????? I think I will have it dynoed. What should I be putting out RWHP on my car???
thanks,
-Moldy
Old 07-21-2006, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
The problem with the new M5 is that even the techs at the stealership have no idea how to drive them. Took me a few weeks before I even figured out S6 existed, and now I only ever use it to show off (it sounds like the SMG is going to shatter, but chirping the tires in every gear is just obscene).

A5 is much better for highway battles because you'll never over-rev or short shift, and the M5 is horrible to 60 and through the quarter, as previously discussed.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Maybe the engine might be broken in, but what about the rest of the components?

That is exactly what my service tech told me about the break in period. The engine already comes broken in from AMG, it's all the other parts (eg- tranny, gearbox, etc...) that needs to broken in.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Regarding the speedometer accuracy issue - this has been covered in more detail by Car and Driver. I dug up the results:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...r-scandal.html

Full article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...r-scandal.html

Bottom line is that they are not perfect, but they are also not off as much as people like to claim.