Test drive day final results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Test drive day final results

Okay so I test drove a BUNCH of cars today.
First I went over to Lexus Newport Beach, I thought I might settle for a cheaper car, but one look at the nicest car there and I left. Didn't even test drive.

Then it was off to Fletcher Jones where we got into a BEAUTIFUL CLS63 P2 package. The revvvv of the engine was intoxicating. The interior was amazing and the speed was plenty to make you want to slow down. I have to say though that there was still some lag in the throttle response which I didn't really dig.

Then we stopped by land rover dealer just for kicks and did the EXTREMELY fun off-road deal. Those cars are amazing, but not for me.

Then it was off to Porsche where I drove the new cayman S. The deal here would be I would buy that AND a truck to compensate for the lack of practicality. I have to say that I actually don't like Porsche cause I don't feel that they are very refined cars in general. I really liked driving this thing and it was faster that I would ever have imagined. VERY fast. And extremely responsive. Love it, but my golf clubs would never ever fit anywhere in there. At the $60K price tag there is no better bargain.

Then we were off to Crevier BMW to test drive the M5 against my wishes. I hate the styling of the M5 and as Borat would say, there is definitely no ***** magnet anywhere to be found. The ride was more comfortable than I would have guessed but still pretty stiff. The Acceleration sucked and the transmission was garbage. Shifting was SUUUUPER slow in automatic mode and in SMG mode you'd have to have pretty good timing to match the speed of the CLS. Interior styling sucked as well and the Heads up display was more annoying than useful. Oh and the exhaust sound was very lack luster. My buddies (both BMW-philes) loved it for no explainable reason even though they overall agreed that the CLS looked better, sounded better and was faster (Though to the BMW's credit it was running on only 400HP until it hits 1200 miles).

So the day was a really good one overall. I am still waiting to test drive the Audi and possibly an E63 but overall I think the CLS was definitely the winner of the bunch. I do think it needs to come down in price ($88K would be perfect).
I still can't convince my jackass friends that the CLS is better than the M5 but they also can't convince me the other way. Oh and if you haven't driven a Caymen I would recommend it, LOT of fun to drive.

On another note, I didn't even get to drive the CL550 cause they were already sold out. Which is amazing cause they just got their inventory.

Anyway, thought I'd get your opinions ..

T
Old 12-03-2006, 12:23 AM

06 CLS55 AMG & 08 CL65 Mystic White
Talking

Have you driven the 55 engine yet? Try the CLS55 and see if that fits you. You could find one 88k for sure! That's loaded with a possible 030 option if you can find one. Best of luck and I enjoyed your write up!
Old 12-03-2006, 01:11 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
On another note, I didn't even get to drive the CL550 cause they were already sold out
Sorry to hear that. We do have over 15 CLS550s in stock. So if you still want to drive one, send me a PM or give me a call, I am just 10 miles South from FJ, at Mercedes-Benz of Laguna Niguel.

Thanks,
Old 12-03-2006, 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Hi Vadim, Thanks for the offer, I might stop by in a week , but I meant CL-550 not CLS-550.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by trezaei
Hi Vadim, Thanks for the offer, I might stop by in a week , but I meant CL-550 not CLS-550.
You should avoid FJ, they have problems negotiating deals. Do yourself a favor and drive the 55. I think Vadim has a silver black w/030. That is awesome and likely would jump off more than the 63. The CLS is by far and away thje best looking car on the road. The trunk is HUGE and could accomodate 4 sets of Golf clubs. Hopefully you can put the ladies in the back. This is a INCREDIBLE VEHICLE
Old 12-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
My mistake.

I do have three CL550s. As a matter of fact I took one Saturday morning to PAG (former Crystal Cove) meet in Irvine.

Just call me when you have some time and I will setup an appointment.

Thanks,