C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Supercar russian roullette - S6 vs CLS55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercar russian roullette - S6 vs CLS55

So I was really torn between an 06 CLS55 and a new Audi S6. Both have an appeal that is unique.

I couldn't decide so I let fate decide for me.

The CLS was local whereas the S6 would have to be imported from the US (only way I could justify the price).

So I lowballed the Mercedes Dealer with what I knew to be the wholesale price (I've been speaking to a wholesaler who buys and sells them to and from dealers).

If they said no I'd buy the S6.

Well, THEY SAID YES!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy!!!!

Only thing I'm going to add are ipod integration and extended warranty.

Maybe doorsills from formymercedes.com

I guess I also need to get some winter tires on 18 inch replicas.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 G550. 2018 AMG GT roadster
formymercedes.com

Nice site. Cannot find the sills.....
Old 12-09-2006, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
Congrats on your new purchase!! You made the right choice

Here you go Doc..

http://www.formymercedes.com/mb_resu...l+Replacements

Same sills on my car, the first pic is actually mine
Old 12-09-2006, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks

The dealer was supposed to install these but dropped the ball.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Kevin....

You're the guy with the cutie pie wife... I forgot.

I am but a support system for a princess.......
Attached Thumbnails Supercar russian roullette - S6 vs CLS55-dsc01586a.jpg  
Old 12-09-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55 AMG & 08 CL65 Mystic White
Talking

Congrats on the CLS. I know you will love it and also, thanks for the link for the sills. I'm ordering them today for that price!
Old 12-09-2006, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sills

Are they lighted?
Old 12-10-2006, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Yeah they are lit.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
Originally Posted by traumadoc
You're the guy with the cutie pie wife... I forgot.

I am but a support system for a princess.......
Great pic!! yea I have to admit, I have a cutie for a wife, of course I'm partial

Good luck with the lights guys.. here is some info on how I installed mine...

First of all, these are instructions that I came up with, not supplied by Jerry or anyone else. I installed a set on my Cayenne using this same method, and they have worked fine for the last 2 years.

The simple method is to tap into your existing footwell lights under the dash. Since these light go on and off when you open and close the doors, this is the perfect power supply for the door sills.

First you must remove the stock sills, they look metal but there plastic, you must pry up on them, they are held in by double sided tape and 3 plastic plugs, when you pull up from one edge, the plastic plugs will break off.

Once they are off remove the tape attached to the car. Also you will need the clear rubber plugs that the plastic plugs from the sill attached to. Some break away others stay attached, cut off the edges so you can use the clear plastic plug. Beware these fly when cutting off

OK so now you need to tap into the footwell light. Remove the panel under the passenger side, two T-20 hex screws, and it drops down. Each sill comes with a resistor that changes the 12 volt power to the appropiate power needed to light the sill. There is a left and right sill so be sure you notice that, you can tell cause the wire aims closet to the front of the car.

Lift up the black felt sill that goes along sill, plug in the diode to the sill and run it and the wire over to the footwell light. Pink and yellow is positive and brown is negative.

You have a option here, the problem is the wire from the sill has to go under that felt rubber sill, you can either drill a hole large enough to fit the plug and wire, or run the wire under the rubber/metal sill and have a small bump. I chose to have a small bump because I didn't want to drill a hole, the metal is pretty thick, two layers, and the hole has to be a good size to fit the small connector through. The rubber sill has metal pieces in it, I just bent this back a bit, and ran the wire under the bent area. As seen here.

So now you should have the wires connected, by now the lights went off from having the door open for a while, so open another door and the lights and that door sill should light up. One down 3 to go

Night Shot..

Repeat the same step for the drivers side.

Now for the back sills. Drivers side, remove the stock sills as you did above. Also lift up on the black plastic panel with chrome strip, just pull straight up and it will pop out. There are footwell lights on the back of the front seats. Unplug these, you will need the longer supplied extension wire for the rears. Feed the wire through the back of the seat and over the left wall, tuck it under the paneling, and over to the door sill area.

Remove that rubber sill as well. You will notice under the carpet on the edge of the door is a plastic cover, with two hinges. Open these up, this is where you can store the little tranistor box from the door sill.

Cut off your extra wire now, but be sure to leave a little slack on the wire that plugs in under the seat into the light. Reason for this is so in case you move the seat all the way forward or back, you won't pull the wire. I used a black zip tie to attach the wire around the bottom of the seat. After its all hidden, this is the only wire you can faintly see, from the seat to the left wall.

Repeat same steps for passenger rear side.