C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

030 Package On Cls. Is It Worth It?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vic55
I have not heard of the body changing on an 030 package??? The CLS is a 219 body whether it be a 550, 55k, or 63 IMO. The parts may be different but the body should be the same.
Its not a noticeable difference to the naked eye. But , it is there.
It is an internal modification, they basically rolled the fenders a little more than normal. Im sure it doesnt make a huge difference, but you pretty much get your fenders rolled for free(part of the package).
Old 02-14-2007, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S55, ML350
Originally Posted by Zod
Any one know what the LSD does exactly ? I know it helps with take off from what I have red but how?
Also any one got any picks of the (rims, steering wheel) of the 030 package?
Final question, can the LSD be installed on a CLS 55 AMG? Does it have any side effects?
The cls 55/63, without the 030, has an open differential. This means that the tire with the least amount of traction will get all the power. An effective lsd will do just the opposite and give the power to the wheel with traction or both wheels evenly. The reason the car feels more confident around corners is because when you put your foot in it, it has less tendency to want to light up the back end and shoot out sideways. I have over 600 pounds of torque in my cls55k and the quaife lsd is the only way to go. I don't remember the exact cost but I do remember when parts and labor were factored in, the quaife & and kleeman were virtually the same price. With kleeman you are replacing a few parts in your differential. Whith quaife you are actually getting a new differential and its much stronger. Don't get me wrong, I love kleeman (I have their pully, ecu, headers and lowering module), but quaife is the king of the lsd.

JMHO
Old 02-14-2007, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by Blue_Monster
Its not a noticeable difference to the naked eye. But , it is there.
It is an internal modification, they basically rolled the fenders a little more than normal. Im sure it doesnt make a huge difference, but you pretty much get your fenders rolled for free(part of the package).
No... not really.

They said that the additional modification was actually on the inner fender well. Part of the black plastic was changed to increase clearance during high speed suspension compression related to the 186 VMAX upgrade.

They made no changes to the sheet-metal of the Performance Package on the CLS.

The inner fender lip is already rolled on the CLS55.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Schiznick
No... not really.

They said that the additional modification was actually on the inner fender well. Part of the black plastic was changed to increase clearance during high speed suspension compression related to the 186 VMAX upgrade.

They made no changes to the sheet-metal of the Performance Package on the CLS.

The inner fender lip is already rolled on the CLS55.
yes, I know its already rolled, my quote was that they rolled them a little bit more than normal, which makes the fender come out a little bit more. But, it sounds like your the expert, your highness. Ill let this go, I know what I know, and you know what you know. lets leave it at that
Old 02-14-2007, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Originally Posted by mrademacher
The cls 55/63, without the 030, has an open differential. This means that the tire with the least amount of traction will get all the power. An effective lsd will do just the opposite and give the power to the wheel with traction or both wheels evenly. The reason the car feels more confident around corners is because when you put your foot in it, it has less tendency to want to light up the back end and shoot out sideways. I have over 600 pounds of torque in my cls55k and the quaife lsd is the only way to go. I don't remember the exact cost but I do remember when parts and labor were factored in, the quaife & and kleeman were virtually the same price. With kleeman you are replacing a few parts in your differential. Whith quaife you are actually getting a new differential and its much stronger. Don't get me wrong, I love kleeman (I have their pully, ecu, headers and lowering module), but quaife is the king of the lsd.

JMHO

I just don't have this problem with the 63. Maybe it's the lesser torque. I didn noticed a lot of tail play on the 55 when I test drove it but the 63 was solid around corners. the 55 with 030 I tested actullay almost spun out on a moderate turn . This is really why I didn't get the 030 option with the 63, I didn't feel it really needed it.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by Blue_Monster
yes, I know its already rolled, my quote was that they rolled them a little bit more than normal, which makes the fender come out a little bit more. But, it sounds like your the expert, your highness. Ill let this go, I know what I know, and you know what you know. lets leave it at that
We can certainly let it go... but

The fender rolling does not cause the fender to come out a bit more. The fender rolling that is done on AMG cars is done on the inner lip of the fender so that the tire has more room to enter the fender well on the outside edge. This also prevents a sharp edge from coming in contact with the tire.

In this age of high tech mfg, fenders are pre-rolled during the mgf process not the assembly process on the line. CLS63 and a CLS63 Performance Package cars have the same fender. They do not have a person on the line that has the job of rolling one a little bit and one a little more with a bat like we used to do on old muscle cars.

Not an expert, just highly informed on this topic. Happy to bet a good case of Vodka on the issue.....

Enjoy!
Old 02-14-2007, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
My car is wider in the rear LOL.......
Old 02-14-2007, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by trezaei
I just don't have this problem with the 63. Maybe it's the lesser torque. I didn noticed a lot of tail play on the 55 when I test drove it but the 63 was solid around corners. the 55 with 030 I tested actullay almost spun out on a moderate turn . This is really why I didn't get the 030 option with the 63, I didn't feel it really needed it.

Tre, No wonder man you drove the 55 030 huge difference between the 63 and 55, all that torque you can easily lose the tail on a 55 vs the 63.. I have the LSD on one of my ATV's, it makes a heck of a difference in power delivery to the wheels, when initiated it sends power to all 4 wheels (on the atv) so they all spin at once allowing me to get out of 6-8ft drifts.(Colorado home). I always wondered about your initial comments on the 030 and now I understand. That 55 is a super powerful engine in 1st and 2nd, the torque will cause serious wheel spin whether you have LSD or not. Both wheels simply spin at the same rate LOL. Sixty three is much more controllable IMO
Old 02-14-2007, 06:03 PM

2007 cls 63 030
I was told by Adam at Euroelites that the 55's that had the 030 package on them came with the Quafe LSD's while the 63's now come with an inhouse AMG LSD. Does anyone know if this is correct?
Old 02-15-2007, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
While we can't be sure who builds the LSD for AMG.... All of the Performance Packages have AMG LSD's.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:11 PM

S55, ML350
Originally Posted by trezaei
didn't really "need" it... we are talking about 90k+ four door vehicles with 3 times as much power as they "need" i thought we were all rational enough to know that need's went out the window and wants took over long before we made the decision to purchase an AMG!

all joking aside, if you don't modify your car or drive hard through low speed sharp corners, you probaly don't need or want an lsd
Old 02-17-2007, 09:11 AM

2012 CLS63
I have heard that when it comes time to get new rotors and pads on the 030 brakes, the price is outrageous.