63 proves track worth.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
63 proves track worth.

Thanks to a fellow member on this MB I had my first experience on a track (Spring Mountain) just west of Las Vegas(40 minutes). Boy what a incredible sport, so many revalations. Most importantly was how the skilled drivers could take the weakest cars and make quick work of GT3, Z06's, a GT 40, and other exotics. The skilled drivers for example including some of the membership here took a C32 and dusted the above mentioned cars. This was CanyonCarvin's car. What was interesting is HP really mattered not on this track. The C32 was like riding in a rollercoaster , it stuck to the road like glue and really was able to pass most exotics and some very track worthy vehicles. The cars were impressive but the skill of the drivers outweighed everything on this track. After a full day of doing Novice laps in my 63, I decided to allow a "Pro" Take my car out on the track. The driver was incredible and in the A group he really shined so I wanted to see what he could do in my car. I was nervous because most of the cars doing well on this course were smaller and lighter, hp mattered not. When the drivers returned with my car I witnessed it pass at 115 or so, it sounded INCREDIBLE. IMO the 63 was the best sounding vehicle . Anyway the report on the CLS was Impressive. The performance package certainly helped, and the driver was very enthusiastic about the car. Paddles worked to perfection and allowed max use of the powerband, steering was responsive and braking excellent. They maxed out at 120 which was 10 mph faster than I could do. They loved the 7 speed and only difficulty reported was "play" in the wheel. They said it was less than prior years but still would take real skill to get the car to go where you want on the track. On the Novice level with me driving, I managed to pass very few cars but some E55 mbworld. org members took me down taking advantage of my rookie track status. LOL. Even on a straight a 55 managed to catch me, I was using the paddles and still am learning . The 55 is very quick straight away and from what I experienced it is faster going 40-100. I do think however the 63 will outduel the 55 on a technical track. Course once again I learned today the cars matter not, I could have driven a bugatti and lost to the dudes 325I. Point is the cls 63 in skilled hands is a very capable TRACK car. It looked Incredible as it is so distinct from the other cars. At one point the owner of the track nearly clipped the 63 in a Radical. He later apologized and said , "I did not expect it would move that fast" . He was shocked at the agility of the 4 door coupe. He was attempting to pass on a turn and had not been given any signs to pass. The driver of my car could only hear the little Radical, these cars(not street legal) were the track killers of the day. The other standout for me was a racing modified GT3 it was amazing and certainly put in some of the smoothest and quickest laps. I do not think many drivers could get around the GT3. I was in a C32 chasing him(as a passenger) for several laps and I was lucky the triple cheese burger did not endup inside my helmet. I had an incredible time and Thanks to all here that attended, THANKS CYRUS, THANKS ERIC for the driving lessons. I found myself looking for the apex on my freeway offramp LOL:zoom

Last edited by juicee63; 02-18-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
There you go. That's what these cars were made for. Nice writeup, and nice going
Old 02-18-2007, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 cls55 amg 2008 GL550 2011 audi R8 V10
triple cheeseburger????? holy heart attack batman!
Old 02-18-2007, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Nice man,
sounds like a lot of fun. Saw some of your other pix in photobucket. Is that your lady? Lucky man. Lucky lucky man. Let me know next time you guys head out there, I'd love to kill these tires .
Old 02-18-2007, 08:21 PM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
There you go, Juice. I've been telling you to go to a track. sounds like you had a good time. Congrats. Now go back and look for that Jeep SRT-8 :-))
Old 02-18-2007, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by trezaei
Nice man,
sounds like a lot of fun. Saw some of your other pix in photobucket. Is that your lady? Lucky man. Lucky lucky man. Let me know next time you guys head out there, I'd love to kill these tires .

Yep. Funny I did not realize you could see the other pics on photobucket. That is the wife, thanks for the kind words. You would love that track as I think most of the cls folks would. Out of several hundred cars there was only ONE CLS, wooohoo and it was amazing how many people gawked at it. A lambo owner was telling me, yeah it was eithjer this or the murciallago(sp), I said you picked a lamb over the benz, just another Audi. We should try and make the track day at Willow in March and get a few CLS's out. I think with your dyno, and some real track time you could put to bed the bashing of the sixty three performance. I am still very sore from driving. I will never again not think of race car drivers as non-athletes. What endurance, concentration and planning this "racing" takes. I really have a whole new respect for guys that "drive". My apologies to all in this forum if I ever showed a lack of respect for the sport. It was truly mind blowing for me to see a Nissan Maxima pulling on a GT40. Lets see if we can get a Cali group going to Willow on the 14th? I think the thread is here somewhere...
Old 02-18-2007, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
I am in for sure. I have to check my calendar but I am almost 100%. Please send me the details.

T
Old 02-18-2007, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by juicee55
Yep. Funny I did not realize you could see the other pics on photobucket. That is the wife, thanks for the kind words. You would love that track as I think most of the cls folks would. Out of several hundred cars there was only ONE CLS, wooohoo and it was amazing how many people gawked at it. A lambo owner was telling me, yeah it was eithjer this or the murciallago(sp), I said you picked a lamb over the benz, just another Audi. We should try and make the track day at Willow in March and get a few CLS's out. I think with your dyno, and some real track time you could put to bed the bashing of the sixty three performance. I am still very sore from driving. I will never again not think of race car drivers as non-athletes. What endurance, concentration and planning this "racing" takes. I really have a whole new respect for guys that "drive". My apologies to all in this forum if I ever showed a lack of respect for the sport. It was truly mind blowing for me to see a Nissan Maxima pulling on a GT40. Lets see if we can get a Cali group going to Willow on the 14th? I think the thread is here somewhere...
Great writeup- sounds like you had a lot of fun and it's good to have an AMG put through its paces.

*Off topic but +1 on your wife- she is extremely attractive.*

By the way, out of curiosity how did the brakes hold up? I know you said they were excellent but i'm uncertain as to whether you were just referring to their power. Was there any fade towards the end of the lapping?
Old 02-19-2007, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
Wow you were in good ol Pahrump Nevada!! Thats a fun track, we raced there last year before they made it longer. Great write up and thanks for sharing. If you liked that track look for a open day at Fontana California Speedway!! I'll be there March 9-11 racing come on out and watch the show
Old 02-19-2007, 02:55 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Bit off topic but could you tell me what you use to get ur black cls so shiny plz
Old 02-19-2007, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Great writeup- sounds like you had a lot of fun and it's good to have an AMG put through its paces.

*Off topic but +1 on your wife- she is extremely attractive.*

By the way, out of curiosity how did the brakes hold up? I know you said they were excellent but i'm uncertain as to whether you were just referring to their power. Was there any fade towards the end of the lapping?

The Driver that pushed the car to 80% said he could of really pressed it as the brakes were up to par with the racing set up of the track cars. He was really impressed with the braking and shifting, and as a driver of BMW, was thirilled with what he experienced in the CLS. The play in the steering wheel still was bothersome but it was managable and could be mitigated by experience in the car. Everyone was concerned about the brakes but the 030 package made the car much more versatile on this course. We did manage to melt a bit of rubber but it was "nothing" compared to some of the 55 ps2's course I was driving less aggressively most of the day, the more aggressive I got the worse my driving. Thanks for your comments on the wife.

Last edited by juicee63; 02-19-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Kevin M.
Wow you were in good ol Pahrump Nevada!! Thats a fun track, we raced there last year before they made it longer. Great write up and thanks for sharing. If you liked that track look for a open day at Fontana California Speedway!! I'll be there March 9-11 racing come on out and watch the show

Kevin, I would love to see that, I am sure if I am not ****ing working,lol
Old 02-19-2007, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Zod
Bit off topic but could you tell me what you use to get ur black cls so shiny plz

Hey Zod,

I use a kit that the dealership gave me. It came with a paint protection package. The paint on the cars is very very nice. I was told by a body shop[ to not do any touchups or have any minor things fixed unless I was gonna paint an entire side or quarter. The quality from the manufacturer is incredible. So hand wash, hand dry , then spot remover.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
The Driver that pushed the car to 80% said he could of really pressed it as the brakes were up to par with the racing set up of the track cars. He was really impressed with the braking and shifting, and as a driver of BMW, was thirilled with what he experienced in the CLS. The play in the steering wheel still was bothersome but it was managable and could be mitigated by experience in the car. Everyone was concerned about the brakes but the 030 package made the car much more versatile on this course. We did manage to melt a bit of rubber but it was "nothing" compared to some of the 55 ps2's course I was driving less aggressively most of the day, the more aggressive I got the worse my driving. Thanks for your comments on the wife.
You're welcome.

You could probably have someone look at the steering to take the 'play' out of it. May be worth looking into

Glad you've caught the track bug
Old 02-19-2007, 08:26 PM

‘11 SLS, ‘19 GT63 s Edition One
Thanks to a fellow member on this MB I had my first experience on a track (Spring Mountain) just west of Las Vegas(40 minutes). Boy what a incredible sport, so many revalations. Most importantly was how the skilled drivers could take the weakest cars and make quick work of GT3, Z06's, a GT 40, and other exotics. The skilled drivers for example including some of the membership here took a C32 and dusted the above mentioned cars. This was CanyonCarvin's car. What was interesting is HP really mattered not on this track. The C32 was like riding in a rollercoaster , it stuck to the road like glue and really was able to pass most exotics and some very track worthy vehicles. The cars were impressive but the skill of the drivers outweighed everything on this track. After a full day of doing Novice laps in my 63, I decided to allow a "Pro" Take my car out on the track. The driver was incredible and in the A group he really shined so I wanted to see what he could do in my car. I was nervous because most of the cars doing well on this course were smaller and lighter, hp mattered not. When the drivers returned with my car I witnessed it pass at 115 or so, it sounded INCREDIBLE. IMO the 63 was the best sounding vehicle . Anyway the report on the CLS was Impressive. The performance package certainly helped, and the driver was very enthusiastic about the car. Paddles worked to perfection and allowed max use of the powerband, steering was responsive and braking excellent. They maxed out at 120 which was 10 mph faster than I could do. They loved the 7 speed and only difficulty reported was "play" in the wheel. They said it was less than prior years but still would take real skill to get the car to go where you want on the track. On the Novice level with me driving, I managed to pass very few cars but some E55 mbworld. org members took me down taking advantage of my rookie track status. LOL. Even on a straight a 55 managed to catch me, I was using the paddles and still am learning . The 55 is very quick straight away and from what I experienced it is faster going 40-100. I do think however the 63 will outduel the 55 on a technical track. Course once again I learned today the cars matter not, I could have driven a bugatti and lost to the dudes 325I. Point is the cls 63 in skilled hands is a very capable TRACK car. It looked Incredible as it is so distinct from the other cars. At one point the owner of the track nearly clipped the 63 in a Radical. He later apologized and said , "I did not expect it would move that fast" . He was shocked at the agility of the 4 door coupe. He was attempting to pass on a turn and had not been given any signs to pass. The driver of my car could only hear the little Radical, these cars(not street legal) were the track killers of the day. The other standout for me was a racing modified GT3 it was amazing and certainly put in some of the smoothest and quickest laps. I do not think many drivers could get around the GT3. I was in a C32 chasing him(as a passenger) for several laps and I was lucky the triple cheese burger did not endup inside my helmet. I had an incredible time and Thanks to all here that attended, THANKS CYRUS, THANKS ERIC for the driving lessons. I found myself looking for the apex on my freeway offramp LOL:zoom

See you next time !

Cyrus