C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Help! Air Ride system "Malfunction"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 10:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Ferrrari Challenge Stradale, Radical SR3, BMW M3, CLS 63, Fleetwood Revolution LE
Help! Air Ride system "Malfunction"

Well, not a good day. I haven't driven my car in two weeks and when I got back from a trip I started the car and after a few seconds the main dash screen shows a picture of the car similar to the one when you press the button to raise the car and says "malfunction". I get out of the car and notice the car is slammed to the ground so now I am pissed. I press the buttom to raise the car and nothing - no noise and no movement. The drive home sucks because the car is so dam low I feel like I am riding on the chassis but about half way home the car seems to have come up a bit and is riding better. Get home and turn on and off the car but it still reads "malfunction" Just so you know I have a Renntech lowering module so I am thinking that it may have taken a dump which caused the error message. I have had my CLS 63 since Nov of 2006. Here is my concern, if I take it into the dealer and they find the module I bet I am SOL on them footing the bill.

Anyone with any experience what to give this a stab? Thanks
Old 07-20-2007, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
you should turn off the renntech, Then higher the car then push the button agian to drop it. No matter what its an easy fix. The renntech is only a few wires.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:21 PM

magLipVE
havent ran across this problem, but try disabling the module, drive it for half block and check to see if the car get raise to stock height.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:48 PM

2007 cls 550
How many miles do you have on the car? how many miles do you have with the elm in?
Old 07-22-2007, 01:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Ferrrari Challenge Stradale, Radical SR3, BMW M3, CLS 63, Fleetwood Revolution LE
The car has about 4800 miles on it and of that all but 200 have been with the ELM. I disabled the unit and the car went up and down, I reset it and it worked for a few hours then when I got back into the car today the malfunction light was back on.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:11 PM

magLipVE
oh that sucks. might be a bad elm or maybe even the install. by the way, what do you have it set as? renntech recommends a setting of 5 for rear and 4 in the fronts. lower settings can damage the suspension and is only use for display in car shows.

1. get whoever did the install to check.
2. disable elm, hide it if not already hidden, and have the dealer check it out.