C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

need urgent help: CLS55 Tranny problems???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
need urgent help: CLS55 Tranny problems???

Hey guys, i need your help urgently as i dont know what to do and my SA is on vacation so theres no one to take care of the car.

Basically on sunday, there were some races and i entertained the crowd... did 2 burnouts (for about 20 seconds each) in dyno mode and also did some donuts (again twice for about half a minute each)... then raced 6-7 times from standstill (dyno mode disabled)... ESP off and mashed the accelerator in sport mode (D selected)....

This is when things started happening. First off all if i drove in sport or comfort then everything was ok, but if i put the CAR in Manual and then pressed the kickdown, the car would pop out of gear... it would just rev to the redline and not do anything. If i stopped the car i could drive off, but as soon as i hit kickdown in manual the same thing would happen again.

I let the car cool off for about 10 minutes, then did an ECU reset and left it overnight. This morning everything was pretty good, tried it countelss times with no problems.

BUT tonight, i did some spirited driving, on at 220km/h the car POPPED OUT of gear AGAIN !!! it was in Sports this time and set to D. I had to completely stop and it took me around 10 seconds to be able to drive off again... Still i thought no problems, so i drove again, and within 5 minutes the same thing happened.

So i let the car cool out, and took off, and now it ONLY stays in 2ND GEAR. I cant change gears whatsoever, i can select 1/2/3/4/D but nothing happens, it is always in the same gear????????????

Whats happening

Advice please

p.s. I always let the car warm up and cool down appropriately, but in the rest of the time i drive like a maniac. Ive done about 10 burnouts with it and at 19400km the car has had 5 sets of rear tyres
Old 03-25-2008, 09:41 PM

06 CLS55
Something is definitley wrong. Im not familiar with the transmission in your car, but staying in 2nd gear is definitley your tranny going into "limp mode". It is designed to let you get your car to the shop and have them look at it, rather then having to tow it or allowing the car to operate normally and have u damage it further.

There is definitley something wrong with it, as you were definitley pushing the envlope with all those burnouts and doughnuts. Per-say, If you did not reset the ECU, it might just be a code that was generated during your burnouts and nothing is actually wrong. But, because you reset the computer, the car is activley finding some fault with the transmission after doing the burnouts/doughnuts. Is there a check engine light on?

I dont know what is wrong, other then it is probably something. I would not drive the car untill you can get it looked at at by your dealer. Hopfully you have another vehicle to use untill your SA gets back, or take it to another dealer.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 CLS63
First things first! Do not mention these burnouts, donuts, etc. when you talk to anyone at the dealership because they will either void your warranty or refuse to repair the car. Second, do not drive the car. If the gears are reacting the way you explain then there is no doubt there is something wrong and you need to take it in ASAP even if your SA is not around. Just be careful what you say to them about what happened!
Old 03-27-2008, 04:58 AM

07 SLK55 AMG
wow same thing happened to me with my slk55, it wouldnt go into any gear other thn reverse and 2nd. my service advisor was pretty cool about it when i told him i drove the car hard. he said he wont mention it so it will still be fix under warranty. i forgot what exactly he said was broken, but it had to something to do with a part that tells the computer what gear youre in. took five days to get it fix cuz the part had to be order from germany.