C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Any spyshots for new CLS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the XF definitely does not do it for me so it's a no brainer. At the time I was making my purchasing decision, the three cars I was looking at were the a8 w12, QP, and the cls55. it didn't take much deciding though b/c the a8w12 was too big for us (more of a older refined gentleman's car and we're in our early thirties), the QP had a **** poor transmission that made me want to throw up after each time we drove it unless you were flooring it constantly, and the cls55 was a great mix between power, sportiness, and comfort. the dynamic seats are icing on the cake.

it's a great car to have between our Samsung SM7 (we live in Korea) and our porsche.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 PM

05 E500
Everyone is trying to make a 4 door coupe now. Mercedes hit a home run and stepped into something bold.
They sure did. I recall when they were first sampling whether to go this route, many critiqued them and thought they might be stuck with an embarrassing flop. Instead, the CLS totally revolutionized a new market segment of the automobile. Amazing and impressive. Now, everyone wants in.

One knock on CLS is the reduced rear headroom and tight rear seat area. Taller adults protest it mightily. However, if one is mostly a sportscar person (like me) that would like to have "just in case" room in the back seat, especially for children, its actually perfect. Like Mb touted... a four-door coupe. The rear spacing is a compromise to retain the sporty slopped roofline. The S, by contrast, has plenty of rear space and is still quite sharp (especially the AMG's), but like the E, no one mistakes this as looking coupe-like. Its a sporty sedan, but very much a sedan.

I wonder if Raptide and Panamera will find any better rear spacing (especially head spacing) design than has CLS. CLS might have the best compromise possible. The former two had better; their pricing will force them to get it right, if not perfect to cut into the CLS market with any measured success.

If CL offered a convertible, as it should to compete with GTC, this could gather some CLS market buyers, but CLS would still lead the segment handily. Initially, while some loved the CLS, others felt it looked peculiar and took some getting used to. Now, it seems that they got an advanced look into the future with the shape of things to come (an old Triumph slogan).
Old 05-14-2008, 10:36 PM

05 E500
it's a great car to have between our Samsung SM7 (we live in Korea) and our Porsche.
Living in Korea, if Hyundai made their new Genesis sporty enough (given it will have many luxury amenities - Lexicon audio - Rolls-Royce only other automaker using Lexicon stereos - 8-inch display nav system controlled via Audi-like multi-media controller - LED's - AFLS - many styling cues copied from others), would this be a consideration? (Value - You could get two for the price of one CLS.) www.hyundaigenesis.com

As a Porsche owner, perhaps the Panamera will be worth a look when it arrives. CLS will be tough to best.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:19 PM
DNJ

CLS 63 AMG (previously) looking for another AMG
Cool

Originally Posted by c2jones
Yikes, I was afraid of this. You actually having a CLS, you would surely know, especially of you're transporting children at any point. I do not have kids, but have friends (women) that do and wanted to be able to service them (or occasional adults) from time to time in the same vehicle I drove everyday. Sort of like having a roomy sport coupe/sedan with more rear seating. (Might end up with CL or Bentley GTC.)

Yes, precisely.

The E is a tad dated and a new model is overdue. I would not want to get into one with a whole new model looming just over the horizon. The S is too big, although the AMG model (or 550 with larger wheels) seems to make the car look more sleek and trim, and not so "Limo" looking. The M Series from Infinity are sharp, especially inside. I think Infinity has the best dashboard visuals, and the rear ammenities rival S and Lexus. But as MB is improving with the electrical/mechanical gremlins, I'm really looking to add another to my garage.
I have no problem transporting kids or adults around (unless they are over 6.2 tall).
Old 05-15-2008, 07:24 PM
DNJ

CLS 63 AMG (previously) looking for another AMG
Smile

Originally Posted by C6Jeff

Three years ago I was in love with both the CLS and the Quattroporte. I ended up getting the QP with the balky transmission and this was very annoying though the car was stunning and very comfortable. I never lost my appreciation for the CLS, though, and when I went to my local dealer to see the new SL63 yesterday, was blown away by the CLS63 they had in the showroom (an '08). I decided then and there that I want the CLS63 and not the SL63 and am now about to order mine. I'll keep you guys posted if it comes to pass.
Great choice. You will love it! It is certainly the best car I have ever had. It does every thing I need and looks beautiful too!