C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Any spyshots for new CLS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500
Any spyshots for new CLS?

As the E-Class is undergoing its change, the CLS (which shares the platform) surely is as well. What are the latest renditions of the visual cues with this; any spyshots or drawings going around?

I've been Googling this and looking around in some of the forums, but I have not seen much unless somehow I'm overlooking them.

Would love a link or so with updated illustrations.

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in your Mom's car
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/12...-facelift.html

straight from google
Old 04-15-2008, 04:44 PM

'04 SL55,'07 S550,'06 E55

i dont see why the cls needs a change, its beautiful as it is and it came out in 06 as opposed to 03 like the E. The only problem I saw the time I drove it was the blind spot but other than that its a gorgeous auto.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Don't expect to see the new CLS design (a FMC) until 2011 or so.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:54 AM

05 E500
straight from google
Thank you. I think I had seen these. I was kind of hoping for a sneak peek on the new styling (or at least a dramatically redesigned fascia as the S, CL, C, SL all have). But these do seem to show the latest updates on the CLS to be had now. Again, thanks.

i dont see why the cls needs a change, its beautiful as it is and it came out in 06 as opposed to 03 like the E...its a gorgeous auto.
They don't necessarily change cars because they feel it "needs" a change, as in it is not "gorgeous" to begin with. This is done when the time is right due to the marketing component of refreshing a design to stay with a competitive consumer appetite for styling.

Also, as the CLS is designed upon the E platform, when the E updates itself entirely, one might expect the same from the CLS. Eventually, the new frontal fascia styling will cover the entire lineup. In the case of the E-Class, a whole new body style is felt overdue. (Not that its unsightly whatsoever now.)
Old 04-18-2008, 10:57 AM

05 E500
Don't expect to see the new CLS design (a FMC) until 2011 or so.
Meaning, even the frontal fascia updates to the lineup (the latest example is SL) won't be observed upon CLS until the entire body style change hits?

Help me with "FMC."
Old 04-18-2008, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by DannyM383
i dont see why the cls needs a change, its beautiful as it is and it came out in 06 as opposed to 03 like the E. The only problem I saw the time I drove it was the blind spot but other than that its a gorgeous auto.
+1 the CLS seems fairly new compared to the E-Class. Mercedes usually likes to wait 6 to 7 years before a complete re-design of a specific model/class. They will sometimes create a face lift or "minor" updates half the way through (3 years), but usually they'll wait at least 6 years for the complete re-design.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:04 AM

in your Mom's car
http://www.wheels.ca/newsFeatures/article/225305
Old 04-19-2008, 07:13 PM

05 E500
This article labels the BMW 6 Series as competition for the CLS. How do they figure? They're not even in the same class. Perhaps it was an oversight in which they meant the 5 Series.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:23 PM

CLS550
Probably because the CLS is considered a bit of a hybrid coupe by some. I wouldn't say that the 5 Series and the CLS match up very well... I'd think that the E Class is the better match up vs. the 5 Series. The CLS is probably the closest competitor to the 6 Series - I think that the two seater config of the SL is too different from the 6 and that the CL is way out of the 6's league.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:34 AM

05 E500
the CLS is considered a bit of a hybrid coupe by some.
Well, sure, MB coined the "four-door coupe" category as they define it, yet, while this is a very (innovative) sloped sedan with coupe styling, this is still a reshaped E-Class (which critics claim simply shaved leg and head room from an E-Class as they rounded the rear roofline). But this still in no way can be mistaken for a door-two, almost cosmetic only rear seat, that offers a convertible power top, like the 6 Series.

I'd think that the E Class is the perfect matchup vs. the 5 Series.
I would agree. But the CLS is a whole lot closer to the 5 Series than to the 6.

The CLS is probably the closest competitor to the 6 Series
I don't see them as close at all, respectfully. BMW does not have a true competitor to CLS (very few do). However, as BMW has seen the CLS market succeed, they have some ideas as to how to match this. (I have seen several sketches and read narratives on BMW's direction for a competitive remedy here.)

I think that the two seater config of the SL is too different from the 6 and that the CL is way out of the 6's league.
Agree with the former (SL), but not so much on the latter (CL). The CL is probably the best design configuration match for the 6 Series (when you say that CL is "out of the 6's league," I'm unsure exactly what you infer), yet as CL has no convertible power top (like SL and the 6), some distinction has to be drawn there, as well as the much larger rear seating area of CL. And, if you find that the SL is "too different" than the 6 Series with SL's two seat configuration, then as to how you would see the CLS (with four doors and a full rear seat design and no convertible) as any closer, escapes me. But like you said, you did not say it was close, only that it was closer (to the 6) than the E-Class. I'm not so sure.

Again, I don't feel that BMW offers a match for the CLS yet.

Last edited by c2jones; 04-21-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Its a dream looking car so I can see the fae lift but not a commplete redesign...
Old 04-21-2008, 11:12 AM

CLS550
c2jones -

The CL seems out of the 6's league because 1) It's about 30% more expensive, and 2) Is just so much nicer on the inside. But it wouldn't surprise me to find that consumers do in fact consider the 6 Series before purchasing a CL - or vice versa. Hell, my own decision was between a Range Rover, CLS, XF, 6 Series, 5 Series, 3 Series, G35 (!)... and I even drove the little baby 1 Series ;-)

As to the whole "four door coupe" thing, you won't see me calling my CLS a coupe until I wake up in the morning to find my rear doors welded shut by some prankster. But I can see the reasoning behind it: The rear seat leg room, headroom and ingress and egress are as bad as a coupes' - therefore it's a coupe! Ha-Ha. But seriously, insofar as actually functionality is concerned, someone who frequently needs to drive kids and guests around will be poorly served by the CLS. I'd think that such a person would look at the E class, S Class, 5 Series, Infiniti M, and so on. So when it comes to functionality, I'd expect the typical sedan buyer to be turned off by the CLS. And yet it sells pretty well... and I'd have to assume that the people buying it are using it as a coupe buyer would: Only occasional guests or children in the rear seats, and then for shorter trips. Or at least I hope that is the case, for the sake of those who must sit back there!

It wouldn't surprise me to find that many 6 Series buyers considered the CLS, nor that many CLS buyers considered the 6 Series. But yes, you're correct in that these two vehicles are not direct competitors in the sense of C vs. 3, E vs. 5, S vs. 7. I would agree that there is no true BMW competitor to the CLS yet. You hinted that BMW may have something on the way?*

*Edit: I saw the photos of the BMW 8. I guess that will be the direct competitor.

Last edited by Mercutio.Mont; 04-21-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Originally Posted by c2jones
This article labels the BMW 6 Series as competition for the CLS. How do they figure? They're not even in the same class. Perhaps it was an oversight in which they meant the 5 Series.
Because if they had to compare the 6 series to the SL or CL it would lose very badly.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:56 PM

05 E500
someone who frequently needs to drive kids and guests around will be poorly served by the CLS.
Yikes, I was afraid of this. You actually having a CLS, you would surely know, especially of you're transporting children at any point. I do not have kids, but have friends (women) that do and wanted to be able to service them (or occasional adults) from time to time in the same vehicle I drove everyday. Sort of like having a roomy sport coupe/sedan with more rear seating. (Might end up with CL or Bentley GTC.)

people buying it are using it as a coupe buyer would: Only occasional guests or children in the rear seats
Yes, precisely.

I'd think that such a person would look at the E class, S Class, 5 Series, Infiniti M, and so on.
The E is a tad dated and a new model is overdue. I would not want to get into one with a whole new model looming just over the horizon. The S is too big, although the AMG model (or 550 with larger wheels) seems to make the car look more sleek and trim, and not so "Limo" looking. The M Series from Infinity are sharp, especially inside. I think Infinity has the best dashboard visuals, and the rear ammenities rival S and Lexus. But as MB is improving with the electrical/mechanical gremlins, I'm really looking to add another to my garage.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:22 AM

05 E500
I saw the photos of the BMW 8. I guess that will be the direct competitor.
Yes, indeed it was the 8 Series which I refer to.

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/BMW-8...oor-coupe.html

http://www.autospies.com/news/2009-B...-Fighter-9866/

As I had mentioned, the success of the CLS has sparked this market... Porsche Panamera, Aston Martin Raptide and others are in the works to rival CLS, but most priced well above CLS. This new Jaguar XF looks intriguing as well, and is priced very sensibly.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:29 AM

CLS550
I test drove the XF. Unimpressed to the max: Rattles, wind noise, gimicky and plastic interior.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:32 PM

05 E500
I test drove the XF. Unimpressed to the max: Rattles, wind noise, gimicky and plastic interior.
The rattles and wind noise are particular issues. Will keep this in mind. Audi is also set to offer a CLS oriented model. I'll keep tabs on this too. Perhaps Quattroporte is a possible option towards a roomier CLS, but priced in a different class.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:20 PM

LED's!! i was wondering what the hold-up was!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:24 PM

05 E500
LED's!!
Yeah, sweet isn't this? Was really happy to see this too.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:11 AM

I had a choice b/w the m5, cls55, and quattroporte and got the cls55. the quattro has horrible transmission (I hear the new one's much better), the m5 was too bland looking and the cls55 was easy to drive for my wife (wife's car). doubt the jag x5 will be much competition.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:09 AM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 C63SA Cabriolet
Originally Posted by auclutch
I had a choice b/w the m5, cls55, and quattroporte and got the cls55. the quattro has horrible transmission (I hear the new one's much better), the m5 was too bland looking and the cls55 was easy to drive for my wife (wife's car). doubt the jag x5 will be much competition.

Three years ago I was in love with both the CLS and the Quattroporte. I ended up getting the QP with the balky transmission and this was very annoying though the car was stunning and very comfortable. I never lost my appreciation for the CLS, though, and when I went to my local dealer to see the new SL63 yesterday, was blown away by the CLS63 they had in the showroom (an '08). I decided then and there that I want the CLS63 and not the SL63 and am now about to order mine. I'll keep you guys posted if it comes to pass.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:04 PM

05 E500
Three years ago I was in love with both the CLS and the Quattroporte. I ended up getting the QP with the balky transmission and this was very annoying though the car was stunning and very comfortable. I never lost my appreciation for the CLS, though, and when I went to my local dealer to see the new SL63 yesterday, was blown away by the CLS63 they had in the showroom (an '08). I decided then and there that I want the CLS63 and not the SL63 and am now about to order mine. I'll keep you guys posted if it comes to pass.
I am also considering both CLS and QP. (Wife is getting new SL.) The interior roominess, especially in rear seats (and amenities) of the QP offers more, I feel. But I prefer the CLS for external ascetics and overall buy. CLS is also more practical. For a mixture of all these three... I'm also considering the 2008 Ferrari 612 Carrozzeria Scaglietti One to One Program.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:21 PM

I can't afford
clk is competition for the 6 i thought. or someone just me
Old 05-14-2008, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by c2jones
Yes, indeed it was the 8 Series which I refer to.

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/BMW-8...oor-coupe.html

http://www.autospies.com/news/2009-B...-Fighter-9866/

As I had mentioned, the success of the CLS has sparked this market... Porsche Panamera, Aston Martin Raptide and others are in the works to rival CLS, but most priced well above CLS. This new Jaguar XF looks intriguing as well, and is priced very sensibly.
+1

Everyone is trying to make a 4 door coupe now. Mercedes hit a home run and stepped into something bold. I love the CLS, (not more than my wife LOL.) but as you mentioned, the competitors are pricing their versions way over the CLS. The Panamera, Rapide, and the others are well over $100K. The XF, in my opinion sucks. That rotary dial for the shifter killed it for me along with the cheap plastics that seems to plague Ford, but amazingly they won't produce better quality interiors.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any spyshots for new CLS?