C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

2006 M5 or CLS 55 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Lexus LS 460L,2009 Jaguar XF SC
2006 M5 or CLS 55 AMG?

Just looking for some advice...which is the better car and why?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Depends on your driving style and roads.

If you have open roads where speed (100+) is not a big issue, or tight twisty roads, go for the M5.

If you've got a lot of straight roads where you can go 0 to 100 but have to keep your speed reasonable, the MB will give more pleasure.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:08 AM

06 CLS55 AMG-all options sans Distronic; Carrera4S; 07 M5;Lexus GS300
Originally Posted by Manny735
Just looking for some advice...which is the better car and why?
I own both cars currently, and you might find my comments on my driving experience re these 2 cars by doing a search in this blog.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Based on looks...CLS55. It's a GT that has cojones in the low end. You will need a bit more road to max out (higher revs) the M5 on normal street traffic. The CLS55 is simple stupid to drive in normal traffic and the low end torque will always put a smile on your face.

I've owned an M3 and driven my buddies M5, the M guys know how to build a car and you should be proud to have either one. It really comes down to lifestyle and your driving focus.

Good luck...
Old 04-23-2008, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
I love the CLS55 look so that'd make it easy decision for me...M5 in comparison doesnt look as appealing, just my opinion
Old 04-23-2008, 11:45 AM

MTA
never driven either but sat in both. if you sit in a cls55 and then an m5 the superior quality of the cls55 is very obvious. the ride in the m5 will break your back. on the other hand the cls isn't what I'd call smooth but it's bearable for everyday driving.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by hong1dan
never driven either but sat in both. if you sit in a cls55 and then an m5 the superior quality of the cls55 is very obvious. the ride in the m5 will break your back. on the other hand the cls isn't what I'd call smooth but it's bearable for everyday driving.
If ride comfort were the most important thing is this category then the OP would get himself a CLS500 on 17s.

Now the M5 is comfort setting is a magic carpet compared to my M3. JARRING. Also, you must have sat in a poorly specced one.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:10 PM

2007 Lexus LS 460L,2009 Jaguar XF SC
thanks everyone...i think CLS 55 its gone be,
Old 04-23-2008, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by hong1dan
Nobody in Queens should be talking about ride quality, they should be talking about road quality.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:00 PM

07 CLS 63
You should test drive both to see which one fits your lifestyle. I picked CLS over M5 because I like the look (both inside and outside) of the CLS. Plus, I have to commute in the crappy silicon valley traffic, so an auto box is another plus for me. Both are awesome cars. Post pics when you finally pick one up. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 X5 4.4i
I am currently in the market for a CLS55 or 63. I have driven both CLS's and 2 M5's. The M5 is a fantastic car, but I have crossed it off the list, as I found the CLS to be a much more adaptable car, more comfortable, and better looking.

The CLS is always instantly ready to go should the opportunity to jump through a hole in traffic, etc. present itself--just dump your right foot and you get instant gratification; whereas the M5 requires you to be paying attention--when the revs are down it does not make much power. Further, the SMG in the M5 is just plain horrid. I really wanted to like that transmission, but it just sucks in any situation that does not involve hauling *** (where it works great).

Lastly, BMW will not CPO an M5. That is NOT a car you want to own without a warranty. (For proof of that, look no further than the fact that BMW is unwilling to be obligated to provide one).

To be clear, this is NOT a slight on the M5. When driven hard, it is a phenomenal car, and the transmission is excellent as well in hard driving. The problem is that the other 95% of the time (assuming it is your daily driver) the car is tough to live with.

Last edited by kglesq; 04-23-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by kglesq
I am currently in the market for a CLS55 or 63. I have driven both CLS's and 2 M5's. The M5 is a fantastic car, but I have crossed it off the list, as I found the CLS to be a much more adaptable car, more comfortable, and better looking.

The CLS is always instantly ready to go should the opportunity to jump through a hole in traffic, etc. present itself--just dump your right foot and you get instant gratification; whereas the M5 requires you to be paying attention--when the revs are down it does not make much power. Further, the SMG in the M5 is just plain horrid. I really wanted to like that transmission, but it just sucks in any situation that does not involve hauling *** (where it works great).

Lastly, BMW will not CPO an M5. That is NOT a car you want to own without a warranty. (For proof of that, look no further than the fact that BMW is unwilling to be obligated to provide one).

To be clear, this is NOT a slight on the M5. When driven hard, it is a phenomenal car, and the transmission is excellent as well in hard driving. The problem is that the other 95% of the time (assuming it is your daily driver) the car is tough to live with.
A good assessment, although I still think the M5 makes a great DD. I find SMGIII intuitive, though it can sometimes get confused in 1st gear so I take your point.

Spot on about not owning one (or an AMG) without warranty- don't do it.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:17 PM

07 CLS 63

So BMW does not CPO any M car or just M5s?
Old 04-24-2008, 05:09 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 X5 4.4i
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
A good assessment, although I still think the M5 makes a great DD. I find SMGIII intuitive, though it can sometimes get confused in 1st gear so I take your point.

Thanks. Given you own one, I defer to your expertise regarding its livability as a DD. My perception in the time I spent in the M5 was that the SMG was a huge asset when driving the car at 6/10th's and above, and a liability below that. Indeed, the whole package was magic when pushed, but felt to me like it was out of its element when driven in traffic or in a casual manner. I take it your experience is different?

Oh, and I would be remiss if I failed to mention the noise the M5 makes at full whack--just gorgeous; the rev-matched downshifts are more of the same.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:17 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 X5 4.4i
Originally Posted by Ak63
So BMW does not CPO any M car or just M5s?
I'm told by two separate dealers that BMW no longer CPO's any M-car. Apparently this is a pretty recent development. You can, of course, get an aftermarket warranty, but I hear horror stories about those not covering some VERY expensive components due to the relatively 'exotic' nature of the modern German high-line cars.

This categorically excluded the M5 from my list of candidates, as there is no way in hell I would own any modern Kraut-can without a warranty.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter

i agree with you on the 1st gear. It gets confused at times, especially coming to a stop.
But overall, Both cars are nice in their own way, depending on what the driver's preference.
Hope you enjoy your CLS and Good luck!
Old 05-08-2008, 02:03 AM

I bought the CLS55 over the M5 for most of the same reasons as everyone above... i.e. looks, ride comfort, etc. . .

I drove the M5 for about a week (my cousin lent me his while he was out of town), and no doubt it is a fabulous car. problem is it looks too similar to almost every other 5 series bimmer.

The MAIN reason for me though, was that the M5 couldn't be driven by my wife. you have to use the e-brake when it's in park so the car doesn't roll down the hill, it's hard to find first sometimes, and its more geared towards aggressive driving than pleasure cruising.

in case you haven't seen it already, there's an M5 vs. cls55 Topgear program that you can see on youtube. although the m5 outperformed the cls55 in terms of handling and acceleration, the cls55 still won the competition based on ride quality etc... hope this helps`
Old 05-08-2008, 04:04 AM

2009 CL63 AMG,2006 CLS55 AMG, 2007 Denali
Originally Posted by auclutch
I bought the CLS55 over the M5 for most of the same reasons as everyone above... i.e. looks, ride comfort, etc. . .

I drove the M5 for about a week (my cousin lent me his while he was out of town), and no doubt it is a fabulous car. problem is it looks too similar to almost every other 5 series bimmer.

The MAIN reason for me though, was that the M5 couldn't be driven by my wife. you have to use the e-brake when it's in park so the car doesn't roll down the hill, it's hard to find first sometimes, and its more geared towards aggressive driving than pleasure cruising.

in case you haven't seen it already, there's an M5 vs. cls55 Topgear program that you can see on youtube. although the m5 outperformed the cls55 in terms of handling and acceleration, the cls55 still won the competition based on ride quality etc... hope this helps`
+1
wish I can have both, but when I had to choose, I went ahead with my CLS55 & loving every moment I drive the thing! + it looks 10 times better than an M5.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:45 PM

Absolutely 100% agree w/ your comments (own both a 55 and M5).
Old 05-10-2008, 09:12 AM
kip

E55
These are totally different cars. The choice should be easy.

M5: Twisties winner, the car to take to the track. Looks plain. 5 passangers. F1 sounding v10, not practical. Launch control, available as manual. Very connected drivers car.

CLS55: Straight line winner, the car to drag race. Looks like a 50's hot rod, the best looking merc. 4 passangers. Strictly automatic. Very comfortable cruiser, awsome v8 kompressor roar even to the extent you feel disconnected from the road. More reliable of the 2.

My choice: CLS 55 (a choice you will get from the Mb board every time, but since you asked here I think your mind is made up allready), I hate the v10 sound and will take a v8 anytime, just the better overall car. The M5 is horribly unreliable, all the cars have had their trannys replaced. If I would want to go to the track, I would take a Porsche gt3, not an M5.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by kip

M5: Twisties winner, the car to take to the track. Looks plain. 5 passangers. F1 sounding v10, not practical. Launch control, available as manual. Very connected drivers car.

CLS55: Straight line winner, the car to drag race. Looks like a 50's hot rod, the best looking merc. 4 passangers. Strictly automatic. Very comfortable cruiser, awsome v8 kompressor roar even to the extent you feel disconnected from the road. More reliable of the 2.

My choice: CLS 55 (a choice you will get from the Mb board every time, but since you asked here I think your mind is made up allready), I hate the v10 sound and will take a v8 anytime, just the better overall car. The M5 is horribly unreliable, all the cars have had their trannys replaced. If I would want to go to the track, I would take a Porsche gt3, not an M5.

Exactly my sentiments... which is why I got both the cls55 and the gt3!
Old 05-17-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by kip

M5 is horribly unreliable is right on!! The tranny is a POS and there's always an excuse by the dealership (really not their fault) as to the cause of the problem. Bottom: buy this car at your peril as far as any reliability is concerned!
Old 05-17-2008, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lotus Elise SLK55
Originally Posted by chutia
M5 is horribly unreliable is right on!! The tranny is a POS and there's always an excuse by the dealership (really not their fault) as to the cause of the problem. Bottom: buy this car at your peril as far as any reliability is concerned!
This only concerns the earlier 05 M5's. New 06+ M5's and M6's are supposed to have this issue corrected.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:51 PM

You know what "they" say: "If my aunt had a p----s, she would be my uncle...but she's not!" Wish what you say were true, though. thanks.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed
This only concerns the earlier 05 M5's. New 06+ M5's and M6's are supposed to have this issue corrected.
There were a few 06 that also had their tranny replaced under like 2000miles
Think there is a fix out now, but back then prety much all models had the issue, that could pop up unexpected

chutia what happened with you?