C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

CLS55 Denison Gateway Install How-To

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
CLS55 Denison Gateway Install How-To

Installed the Dension Gateway 500 in the CLS55 and did not see much info on the forum, so here are some of the pertinent steps so other may benefit.

This is the newer Dension that also allows the use of the in dash CDC changer.

Fist step is to remove the panel from below the glove box (also un shown is removing the ashtray, shifter cover and CD Changer from the dash as these are shown elsewhere on the site here: http://www.forums.mbworld.org/forums...emove+door+cls)

Then Dension fiber optic cables are pre-wired and the dip switch settings as it's instructions show and then it's inserted between the dash sides.

Car side of fiber cable inserted into the MB connector

CD Changer reinstalled and CDC side of Denison fiber cable inserted into CD Changer.

Power for the Denison was just tapped into the CD Changes power wires, red for positive and brown for negative (black Dension wire).

Hole drilled for IPOD connector into corner of glove box. If using this location be careful as they is some obstruction close behind there that you likely don't what to drill into.

Velcro the back of the Denison unit for installation behind glove box.

This is a strange angle looking up behind the glove box. I just cleaned the back of the glove box and stuck the other side of the Velcro to it and then stuck the Denison to it. It's on there really strong and not going to come off anytime soon.

This is where the remote switch for bypassing the Denison was located. Since it won't be bypassed very often, I wasn't concerned where this was located. All I need to do is reach up into the foot well carpet area and fold it back to get to it.

All buttoned up and ready to go. Took a little playing to get the text to display, one has to get into config mode by switching the mode button off and on three times then hold the left side seek + button for 5-10 seconds while under text screen. (Default mode is "IPOD user control" so no text or folders will show up when first powered on).

Screen shots and programing on another forum:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...mware-2-a.html

Took about 1 hour taking my time, could do the exact install again in about 30 minutes. Overall I like this very much with my couple hours of playing with it, very similar in function to the Denison that is in the Porsche except it has up down toggles on the MB vs a scroll wheel. Only real draw back is it does not display text in the center speedo section, only track number is shown. Sound quality is superb and functions are rather intuitive once the interface is learned.

Last edited by KungFoo; 07-20-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up DENISON

thanks .
Old 07-19-2008, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by cls55
thanks .
'

Yeah great write up, prolly adds a few pounds so its a no go fer me
Old 07-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
but am lost...what does it do
Old 07-20-2008, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 black opal
nice writeup
Old 07-20-2008, 04:05 PM

CLS55
Thanks guys, happy to help.

Originally Posted by Zod
but am lost...what does it do
It's an IPOD interface, AUX input and USB drive interface. Hopefully it will also have a blue tooth option in the near future like they do for the Porsche.

http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway500.php

To recap, all this install entails is removing 4 screws, some trim pieces and connecting two wires with some quick connects. Really, really easy and a lot less complicated than the photo's might depict.

I've also added a small 2 foot long USB extension cable so I don't have to remove the trim panel below the glove box in order to update the firmware when any useful features come out for it. It's open end rests under the carpet and easy to get to.

Last edited by KungFoo; 07-20-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 Sport
Originally Posted by KungFoo

Sorry, couldn't resist ...

But seriously, great write up, and thanks for sharing!

Old 07-20-2008, 05:09 PM

CLS55
LOL, not Salt n Pepper. That's Rick Ross.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDnw_SPfMxM
Old 07-20-2008, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 Sport
OK, Gotcha. I was thinking "Favorite Hip-Hop" ?!?!

Old 07-21-2008, 05:20 PM

'10 Tesla Roadster, '06 AMG CLS 55; '00 SVT F-150
Does this have the low volume issue as the dealer installed option ?
Old 07-21-2008, 05:21 PM

'10 Tesla Roadster, '06 AMG CLS 55; '00 SVT F-150
I would assume not, since it seems like it is utilizing itself as another volume or disc off the changer, right ?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
Great write up, thanks for posting.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:06 PM

This might sound kinda stupid, but what exactly does it do??
Old 08-01-2008, 11:19 AM

Excellent Instructions

Thanks for the excellent DYI. One clarification for the novices like me. When you are releasing the screws on the bottom of the COMMAND you have to make sure to keep turning them counter clockwise until they stop. THis releases the vice type mounting grips and leaves the COMMAND loose to pull forward. I fought this for quite sometime before figuring it out.

Nothing like feeling really stupid!!!!

The Dension is a great product very easy install (I ran the IPOD cable back under shifter housing and into console for easy access) and configuration well worh the $400 and 1 hours time.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:54 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by KungFoo
Thanks guys, happy to help.

It's an IPOD interface, AUX input and USB drive interface. Hopefully it will also have a blue tooth option in the near future like they do for the Porsche.

http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway500.php

To recap, all this install entails is removing 4 screws, some trim pieces and connecting two wires with some quick connects. Really, really easy and a lot less complicated than the photo's might depict.

I've also added a small 2 foot long USB extension cable so I don't have to remove the trim panel below the glove box in order to update the firmware when any useful features come out for it. It's open end rests under the carpet and easy to get to.
Thanks for explaining

hmm there is an updated ipod kite for out cars that solved the old volume issue.

second and probably best option would be to follow Kevin.M advice on how he did his, combining aux and ipod connector in glove compartment and disconnecting a wire from the command. Works fine with no issues and cheap solution that does the same thing.

so all that is left is the usb facility....what would you use that for ?
Old 08-03-2008, 02:13 PM

CLS55
Originally Posted by Zod
Thanks for explaining

second and probably best option would be to follow Kevin.M advice on how he did his, combining aux and ipod connector in glove compartment and disconnecting a wire from the command. Works fine with no issues and cheap solution that does the same thing.

so all that is left is the usb facility....what would you use that for ?
Some worthwhile differences, there will likely be Blue Tooth option sometime soon, already available for Porsche with this Denison. Very easy DIY installation (no need to remove deck, truck items or running long wire along entire interior), availability, "assume" better user interface and decent price $400ish. It displays on the head unit which I prefer. Has IPOD video output which might be useful for people wanting rear seat video displays? Firmware upgradeable for who knows what else might come out for it.

I guess different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by KungFoo; 08-03-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Almost a Member!

mercedes E220cdi W211
Hi Guys,
I wanna install a Denison 500 to my basic audio 20 (no aux input). Does anyone have any experience with this unit?
Can i use a bluetooth celphone? and add a subwoofer via the unit?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:51 PM

yes
kitesurfing kites

Nice! bookmarked it! i will check it later. Thanks very much for sharing