C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

disappointing service experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Velvet Fleetwood
disappointing service experience

called MB two weeks ahead to schedule a hot date for state inspection. the two week advance call is supposed to qualify you for a Mercedes loaner as I was hoping to test drive a GL. Two weeks later I pull up to the valet. Get my legal papers out of the glove box and come walking in looking for SA (some guy Anthony). As I start explaining what I'm their for, I realize this guy is conversing with three other people. At this point we're having a redundant conversation. Furthermore, I start mentioning some of my concerns - like how I would like the mechanic to tap into star diagnostics and see if my ride height changed, and to also check my IC pump. I quickly pick up on Anthony's not so bright facial expression, so let deciphering process continue. Anthony proceeds to take notes and at the end mentions that he will charge $125 an hour depending on how long it will take to run through these additional checks. I then walk over to the loaner department where I'm greeted by some guy who is very enthusiastic about giving me the keys to a fire engine red Mazda 3 . Next day I'm on the turnpike revving my loaner with it's high pitched squeal exhaust note and I get a call from Anthony telling me I need to come in because he forgot to make copies of my legal papers - another day wasted. In a nutshell MB had this condescending attitude from the moment I walked in. Every response started with a "NO" but ended up "we will charge you, oh and maybe it's covered - I don't know". I couldn't find a trace of professional automotive training in my SA, who was rude and ignorant, wasted an extra day by forgetting to go through the proper procedures and the loaner department didn't come through as promised. I'm starting to see a re-occurring theme here amongst service departments. Can't these guys realize that the service experience is one of the main driving factors in making a decision for the next car purchase
Old 09-05-2008, 04:34 PM

14-F Sport, 07-CLS63 2003-HUMMER 2004-Suburban 2008-MAX 2005-YZF R1
WOW Euro Motors here in Md are really good at making you feel important! I took my car to HBL (tysons corner,va) and i can tell you they SUCK at listening and my SA was so clueless and didn't know anything, he said he was new. I told them that I would never bring my car here again!
Old 09-05-2008, 04:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
07 CLS63 | 06 SLK350
wow you east coast guys have it bad...

i drive in without service appointments to merc benz bev hills, ALWAYS get a loaner (usually a c300) even if for 2 hours.... extremely polite service advisors, and everything explained up front... geez i guess we're spoilt compared to what you guys have to deal with
Old 09-05-2008, 06:22 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG; 2006 Infiniti FX45;
Originally Posted by Mathmik
WOW Euro Motors here in Md are really good at making you feel important! I took my car to HBL (tysons corner,va) and i can tell you they SUCK at listening and my SA was so clueless and didn't know anything, he said he was new. I told them that I would never bring my car here again!
HBL & Euro motors both SUCK! Going to try American Service center.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by blackcls63
wow you east coast guys have it bad...

i drive in without service appointments to merc benz bev hills, ALWAYS get a loaner (usually a c300) even if for 2 hours.... extremely polite service advisors, and everything explained up front... geez i guess we're spoilt compared to what you guys have to deal with
+1
It took me 1 unpleasurable experience at my buying dealer and another unpleasurable experience at a dealer near my house to end up at a 3rd dealer, MB of Beverly Hills.

MB of BH can't do enough to please their customers. I'm glad to hear that Blackcls63 has the same positive experience that I have experienced.

All you MB Owners need to patronize only dealers that fulfill your expectations.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by vb26
come walking in looking for SA (some guy Anthony).
That is the problem...you MUST get to know your SA. He needs to become your best friend. Once you have an SA as a friend, everything becomes MUCH easier. You will get loaners no matter what or when, and he will go to bat for you on any and all possible warranty work.

And find out his birthday and drop off presents then and on Christmas.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:20 PM

14-F Sport, 07-CLS63 2003-HUMMER 2004-Suburban 2008-MAX 2005-YZF R1
Originally Posted by von32897
HBL & Euro motors both SUCK! Going to try American Service center.
Not Euro Germantown! They were on point with me so I can't knockem until they do
Old 09-08-2008, 10:32 AM

Velvet Fleetwood
Originally Posted by Timeless
That is the problem...you MUST get to know your SA. He needs to become your best friend. Once you have an SA as a friend, everything becomes MUCH easier. You will get loaners no matter what or when, and he will go to bat for you on any and all possible warranty work.

And find out his birthday and drop off presents then and on Christmas.
thanks for the tip. I would love to get to know my SA and have car talks all day long, but I'm not going to bend over backwards just so I can have proper service and a knowledgeable staff. if they don't value me or my money (which is really what it all comes down to) then it should be pretty clear what my future decision will be. Just as an example: my 3.0 X5 lease is coming to an end in January, so BMW gave me an '08 4.8 loaded X5 (pana roof, navi, camera, heated steering wheel, etc..) and told me to keep it for a week to see how I like it. I'm very impressed with the car and the service from BM.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
thanks for the tip. I would love to get to know my SA and have car talks all day long, but I'm not going to bend over backwards just so I can have proper service and a knowledgeable staff. if they don't value me or my money (which is really what it all comes down to) then it should be pretty clear what my future decision will be. Just as an example: my 3.0 X5 lease is coming to an end in January, so BMW gave me an '08 4.8 loaded X5 (pana roof, navi, camera, heated steering wheel, etc..) and told me to keep it for a week to see how I like it. I'm very impressed with the car and the service from BM.
Sounds like you have a great relationship with your BMW dealer...hard to change with service like that.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:28 PM

I always get the clueless look on their faces.

I am sure accustomed to hearing, " No, it's normal, that is not covered, we could not reproduce the symptoms."

I even threatned to go to the other MB dealer about 30 miles away..... he said "okay."

Now every time i get a chance to bad mouth them, I do.... Stay away from Phillips Automotive in VA beach.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
E55, GMC Suburban, F430 matchbox, Caddooo DTS
There are so many merc dealers in NY that have such a poor track record with customer service in the service department. they do the basic minimums to try and score well with Mercedes but very few of them go over the top when it comes to service. You can get much better service at many of the indys in the area so why bother going to the dealer. You always get a huge bill from them anyway, they never warrantee anything on my car so I don't bother going.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mathmik
Not Euro Germantown! They were on point with me so I can't knockem until they do
Mathmik,
I'm actually going to start having my service done at Funktion Auto in Sterling. They're a high-end custom boutique shop. Very professional, knowledgable and customer friendly staff. The owner is a very nice guy. They also perform all mercedes/Audi/Porsche schedule service at lower prices than at the stealership.

Last edited by von32897; 09-09-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
If you have a problem with the sa ask to speak to another one. If they cannot address your issues speak with a manager. Don't let one person ruin it for the entire dealership. There might be one bad one and one that you fall in love with.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by JonMBZ
If you have a problem with the sa ask to speak to another one. If they cannot address your issues speak with a manager. Don't let one person ruin it for the entire dealership. There might be one bad one and one that you fall in love with.
I'm not looking to fall in love! Just want them to do their job without making us feel like we need to kiss up to them to receive service. We are not Hyundai owners. No disrepect. I don't understand the power trips some of these guys are on.

Last edited by von32897; 09-12-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Was this MB of manhattan?

I didn't care for the attitude I received at Prestige service (I look super young) so I tried Benzel Busch in Englewood. They did a nice job, fixed the clunking in my suspension (tie rod), and gave me an 07 C280 loaner. I was happy with the experience.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:31 PM

1994 E320
called MB two weeks ahead to schedule a hot date for state inspection. the two week advance call is supposed to qualify you for a Mercedes loaner as I was hoping to test drive a GL. Two weeks later I pull up to the valet. Get my legal papers out of the glove box and come walking in looking for SA (some guy Anthony). As I start explaining what I'm their for, I realize this guy is conversing with three other people. At this point we're having a redundant conversation. Furthermore, I start mentioning some of my concerns - like how I would like the mechanic to tap into star diagnostics and see if my ride height changed, and to also check my IC pump. I quickly pick up on Anthony's not so bright facial expression, so let deciphering process continue. Anthony proceeds to take notes and at the end mentions that he will charge $125 an hour depending on how long it will take to run through these additional checks. I then walk over to the loaner department where I'm greeted by some guy who is very enthusiastic about giving me the keys to a fire engine red Mazda 3 . Next day I'm on the turnpike revving my loaner with it's high pitched squeal exhaust note and I get a call from Anthony telling me I need to come in because he forgot to make copies of my legal papers - another day wasted. In a nutshell MB had this condescending attitude from the moment I walked in. Every response started with a "NO" but ended up "we will charge you, oh and maybe it's covered - I don't know". I couldn't find a trace of professional automotive training in my SA, who was rude and ignorant, wasted an extra day by forgetting to go through the proper procedures and the loaner department didn't come through as promised. I'm starting to see a re-occurring theme here amongst service departments. Can't these guys realize that the service experience is one of the main driving factors in making a decision for the next car purchase
Few years back when I had my C230 in for a brake change at the dealership (Tri-Cities, Wa), they've pulled a Mazda Protege for my loaner car around the corner...I was pissed! If I wanted to drive a ZOOM, ZOOM I would have gone to a Mazda dealership! When I spend my money on a benz, I am expecting the best!
Old 09-19-2008, 02:21 PM

08 CLS63
You didn't know? That is a 'perk' of owning a Mercedes.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:14 PM

Velvet Fleetwood
Originally Posted by Oliverk
Was this MB of manhattan?

I didn't care for the attitude I received at Prestige service (I look super young) so I tried Benzel Busch in Englewood. They did a nice job, fixed the clunking in my suspension (tie rod), and gave me an 07 C280 loaner. I was happy with the experience.
this was Mercedes Benz of Fort Washington, Pa. last year I had similar experience MB Keenans of Doylestown, Pa.