C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Bent Rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 cls 55 amg, '03 Range Rover HSE, 88 Firebird Formula
Bent Rims

I took my car into the shop for the "visit workshop" message and there was a problem with my airmatic system. Also, while doing a wheel balance due to some slight vibration at 40+ mph they called to say that my two front rims were slightly bent and couldn't be repaired ybkes they were sent to a specialty shop. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't recall hitting any big potholes but I do remember the vibration (occassionally) and a pull to the left when I remove my hands from the steering wheel. Let me know what others think.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:38 AM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
i have a slew of bent or OOR (out of round) wheels.... some are not bent to the eye but when put on a balancer you can see them wobble. That would lead to a shake in a steering wheel. And you dont have to hit a "pothole", any type of sharp grade change in a road can do it....

Also you have prob the 18's with the low pro tires which from me working at benz... i know that customers have had issues with these wheels bending or becoming OOR.. They are more performance oriented, not too forgiving on unkept roads...

Here in NYC/Long Island the roads are very unforgiving... you will be crusing at 60+ and wham... a "speed bump" like growth in the road... theres a nice one by me from the wantagh pky going on to the southern state....

and the pull can be your alignment being out.... either there is a "crown" in the road that your tires are pulling on... or maybe from hitting what ever did the orginal damage to the wheels pulled your alignment out a little... But if the tires are wearing ok, i would just probably say pulling on the road crown..

Last edited by TuneTime; 09-30-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:17 AM

Yeah, they noticed it on the balancer and I have the stock OEM wheels on my car. Shouldn't it be an issue with the manufactor of the wheels if some many are coming up bent or out of round?
Old 09-30-2008, 01:30 AM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
well....

Any cracks in the barrel that go thru the center... or around the barrel (i should say), like the wheel is splitting apart would be a manuf issue...

If the wheel is bent or OOR that is usually due to a roadhazard.... Not MB's problem. Its a problem with the road, careless driving or something of that nature..

Now not saying that you are left out to dry.. i did see that one customer managed to have his selling dealer buy him 3 new wheels (same car CLS55).. they kept the old ones of course... It all depends on your relationship with the dealer... Here are some things they take in consideration...
-did you buy the car there
-do you service there
-your service history (warranty to cash)

then they ck their "good will" budget for the month and come up with a decision....

if you get no satifaction you could always call MBUSA, im sure you wont be the first one calling....
Old 09-30-2008, 01:28 PM

Velvet Fleetwood
Originally Posted by BlackBeast'06
I took my car into the shop for the "visit workshop" message and there was a problem with my airmatic system. Also, while doing a wheel balance due to some slight vibration at 40+ mph they called to say that my two front rims were slightly bent and couldn't be repaired ybkes they were sent to a specialty shop. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't recall hitting any big potholes but I do remember the vibration (occassionally) and a pull to the left when I remove my hands from the steering wheel. Let me know what others think.
what rims do you have?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:46 PM

I have the stock 19inch rims. I'm looking to go with 20 rims.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:06 AM

How many others have encountered bent rims?

Found out today that all 4 of my rims are bent! I don't have a clue how all four could become bent or out of round. Just wondering how many others on this board have had an issue with ben rims.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
07 CLS63 | 06 SLK350
Did you do this by any chance ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCyMbrhLPpc

Last edited by blackcls63; 10-08-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 PM

Now that was funny.....I bought the car used so, don't know how in the hell at 4 rims could get bent. LOL