C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Best extended warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 plus a few Ducati's
Best extended warranty

What's the best extended warranty; Need one for an impending CLS55 purchase...... the Daimler Chrysler or something else?
Thanks in advance.
Andrey
Old 11-13-2008, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
A lot of folks on here have professed good results with Mercury, which can be purchased at pretty decent prices through these guys:
http://www.autowarrantybroker.com/

The Daimler/Chrysler limits you to 7 years from original in-service date, while with these guys you can go out to six years from the date you purchase the warranty. So, if your vehicle was originally purchased in, say, 03/06, with Chrysler your warranty can't go beyond 03/13, while with this one if you bought the 72 month warranty now, it would be good until 11/14, etc...

Check with them about one thing, though: after the vehicle reaches a certain age, they won't offer their best package, so you'll have to settle for a lessor package. However, if memory serves this is not the case within the vehicle's original factory warranty period. But I'm not 100% on this, so it's probably worth a call to check!!

In fact, if you do find out how they structure those cutoff dates, let me know! I'll be in the market for one eventually...
Old 11-13-2008, 12:24 PM

Again thanks Impoviz! Will make some calls over the next couple of days and advise when I find out. Where are you?
Old 11-13-2008, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by DucatiNut
Again thanks Impoviz! Will make some calls over the next couple of days and advise when I find out. Where are you?
At home!!

But macro-wise, I am here inna heart of Texas....
Old 11-17-2008, 10:30 AM

Autowarrantybroker.com only has 2 low coverage drivetrain policies available for the CLS55 in Washington State. The guy seemed pretty helpful but could not offer anything else. Bit of a concern! Seems I might be stuck with the MB extended warranty. I will try a few other sources and post back soon.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:40 AM

Also the NWC (National Warranty Corporation) will not cover any AMG vehicle.
NWC is the other big name you get when you search google. The reaction I have received after speaking with these people is very discouraging already. Looks like no one will cover an AMG at all let alone well.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Autowarrantybroker.com only has 2 low coverage drivetrain policies available for the CLS55 in Washington State. The guy seemed pretty helpful but could not offer anything else. Bit of a concern! Seems I might be stuck with the MB extended warranty. I will try a few other sources and post back soon.
Strange, I just got a quote from them a month or two ago, and they offered all plans. I'd better have another look just to make sure! Fwiw, I did this with the automated portion, not over the phone....but I'm gonna double check, pronto!!

Have you tried the Daimler/Chrysler route? Theirs will limit you to three years past expiration of factory, and then there's that bankruptcy thing....damn, didn't think of that.

Well, you can always extend the warranty since it's CPO, ***BUT*** afaik this is a one-time thing at time of purchase only, so keep this in mind (they could probably finangle a few extra days if you've already picked it up!).
Old 11-17-2008, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Dang, they did drop it all!!

Checked again on autowarrantybroker.com, and as you said they've taken them all away except for a rudimentary coverage!! And it was less than two months ago that they offered all of them!

THIS SUCKS!!

Well, crud....snooze ya lose, I guess....I've still got some other options to persue, better get after 'em before the door slams totally shut I guess.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4matic
i have one with mercury, havent had to use it yet luckily. but i have heard from a lot of people that were happy with theirs. 50 dollar deductible, that is all you pay upfront and they cover the rest. its nice not to have to pay the whole thing and then wait to see what they are going to reimburse you.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by sleewell
i have one with mercury, havent had to use it yet luckily. but i have heard from a lot of people that were happy with theirs. 50 dollar deductible, that is all you pay upfront and they cover the rest. its nice not to have to pay the whole thing and then wait to see what they are going to reimburse you.
The contracts sold by autowarrantybroker.com are underwritten by Mercury, so I'm wondering if Mercury pulled the plug on writing AMGs. It seems to me that at one point, I had a discussion with a guy who said it's kind of an on-again, off-again thing with Mercury....hopefully it will be on again at some point, at least within the next two years before mine expires!
Old 11-17-2008, 06:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
07 CLS63 | 06 SLK350
Originally Posted by Improviz
on again at some point, at least within the next two years before mine expires!
haha that's what i'm hoping for too!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:24 PM

Improviz; Was told today to carefully check the maximum labor rate on any policy. The "administrators" (companies that determine what gets paid in the event of a claim), for some of these warranty companies is Royal Administration Services in MA and I was told they will not pay past $85 per hour..... just a heads up to check this. Also coverage varies by state. Autowarranty told me they were expecting updated policy coverage from their suppliers later this week or next week. Seems things might be in a state of flux (more like a plasma in the financial world I think but hey, they got themselves into it!) Might pay to check back in a few days.
Is the Daimler Chrysler warranty referred to the same as the extended MB warranty (not CPO) my dealer is talking about?
Sleewell ... thanks for the tip ,,, will call tomorrow but not hopeful.
Will repost if anything new is discovered.
Cheers
Old 11-17-2008, 10:33 PM

magLipVE
just got a quote from AWB, seems really inexpensive... has anyone purchase and actually used it yet?

60 Months / 100000 Miles 11/17/2013 148,000 $1,301
Old 11-17-2008, 10:58 PM

Is this Autowarrantybroker? If so what policy and how much coverage?
Policy coverage and cost varies state to state. Need more info..
Old 11-17-2008, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Improviz; Was told today to carefully check the maximum labor rate on any policy. The "administrators" (companies that determine what gets paid in the event of a claim), for some of these warranty companies is Royal Administration Services in MA and I was told they will not pay past $85 per hour..... just a heads up to check this. Also coverage varies by state. Autowarranty told me they were expecting updated policy coverage from their suppliers later this week or next week. Seems things might be in a state of flux (more like a plasma in the financial world I think but hey, they got themselves into it!) Might pay to check back in a few days.
Is the Daimler Chrysler warranty referred to the same as the extended MB warranty (not CPO) my dealer is talking about?
Sleewell ... thanks for the tip ,,, will call tomorrow but not hopeful.
Will repost if anything new is discovered.
Cheers
No, the Daimler warranty isn't the same as the CPO extension....Mercedes and Chrysler are separate entities now, and so the Mercedes version is actually handled directly through Mercedes. It is a bit on the expensive side, though, more so (by a grand or two if memory serves) than the Chrysler, although I forget if its maximum extension is the same as the Chrysler (3Y past expiration of factory warranty) or longer.

The Mercury is definitely a nice deal in that it's based upon years from purchase of the warranty, so you can go out to six years...in fact, this one is the better deal if you've got *less* remaining factory warranty, as it gives you longer coverage outside of it.

But yeah, it's odd that they pulled the rug out from under coverage; on my CLK they offered the Platinum Package right up to the beginning of this year (which is why I missed it; didn't realize it was going to be pulled like that! But I needed a sedan anyway, so no biggie! ), which was a few years outside the end of the factory warranty term...so I'm quite surprised that they yanked this one *inside* the factory warranty term!!

Otoh, they did start selling the CLS55s in March '05, so maybe that's got some bearing on their decision....did the guy know of any rhyme or reason to the decision?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:07 PM

magLipVE
Is this Autowarrantybroker? If so what policy and how much coverage?
Policy coverage and cost varies state to state. Need more info..

yes, autowarrantybroker. coverage is "dura lube". i'm in cali.

-60 months warranty or 148k miles, whichever comes first.
-warranty valid til 2013
-cost $1,301

here are the details:

Covered Part — Any part listed below which is original equipment on your vehicle or like
replacement parts meeting the manufacturer’s specifications. Any Covered Parts which have
been repaired or replaced prior to the Effective Date of this Limited Warranty must have been
repaired or replaced by a state licensed mechanic.
• ENGINE and WATER PUMP – All internally lubricated parts of engine, including pistons,
piston rings, piston pins, crankshaft and main bearings, connecting rods and rod bearings,
camshaft and camshaft bearings, timing chain and timing gears, intake and exhaust valves,
valve springs, oil pump, push rods, rocker arms, hydraulic lifters, rocker arm shafts and
water pump. The engine block and cylinder heads are also covered if the above-listed parts
caused a mechanical failure.
• TRANSMISSION –Internally lubricated parts of manual or automatic transmissions,
including torque converter case if damaged by the failure of an internally lubricated covered
part, oil pump, drums, planetaries, sun gear and shell, shaft(s), bearings, shift rail, forks,
and synchronizers.
• TRANSFER CASE – All internally lubricated parts.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
That's their powertrain warranty....

.....not sufficient in light of all of the expensive goodies (i.e., air suspension) that can, and often do, break on these babies, including electonics, etc....
Old 11-17-2008, 11:48 PM

Personally spinsonic I would prefer more coverage for those little ancillary items like the supercharger, airmatic, computer, dashboard etc. Each to their own, but the full whack, as much as you can eat, policy was around $4300 for 4 years. Still probably not too bad I guess .... its only money after all

BTW I have seen quite a few negative comments elsewhere about extended warranties being poor value (cue.... Mr. isellpower .... you're up!). Some even suggest saving the money and using it, if and when you need to, in lieu of a policy but I am sure I would burn $4000 faster than a bird can fart on many parts of this car.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:05 AM

magLipVE
yep, that sure makes sense. thanks for your inputs!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Personally spinsonic I would prefer more coverage for those little ancillary items like the supercharger, airmatic, computer, dashboard etc. Each to their own, but the full whack, as much as you can eat, policy was around $4300 for 4 years. Still probably not too bad I guess .... its only money after all

BTW I have seen quite a few negative comments elsewhere about extended warranties being poor value (cue.... Mr. isellpower .... you're up!). Some even suggest saving the money and using it, if and when you need to, in lieu of a policy but I am sure I would burn $4000 faster than a bird can fart on many parts of this car.
It more than paid for itself on my CLK, and that thing didn't have an active suspension nor many of the other expensive goodies that these babies have...ya never know, but to me it's worthwhile insurance on these fussy German cars....

Otoh, we had one on a Lexus we owned, and it was a total money waster, 84000 miles when we sold it and nothing ever broke. Amazing reliability, Mercedes would definitely do well to emulate their approach in that department!!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:08 AM
Almost a Member!

bmw
Originally Posted by spinsonic
yes, autowarrantybroker. coverage is "dura lube". i'm in cali.

-60 months warranty or 148k miles, whichever comes first.
-warranty valid til 2013
-cost $1,301

here are the details:

Covered Part — Any part listed below which is original equipment on your vehicle or like
replacement parts meeting the manufacturer’s specifications. Any Covered Parts which have
been repaired or replaced prior to the Effective Date of this Limited Warranty must have been
repaired or replaced by a state licensed mechanic.
• ENGINE and WATER PUMP – All internally lubricated parts of engine, including pistons,
piston rings, piston pins, crankshaft and main bearings, connecting rods and rod bearings,
camshaft and camshaft bearings, timing chain and timing gears, intake and exhaust valves,
valve springs, oil pump, push rods, rocker arms, hydraulic lifters, rocker arm shafts and
water pump. The engine block and cylinder heads are also covered if the above-listed parts
caused a mechanical failure.
• TRANSMISSION –Internally lubricated parts of manual or automatic transmissions,
including torque converter case if damaged by the failure of an internally lubricated covered
part, oil pump, drums, planetaries, sun gear and shell, shaft(s), bearings, shift rail, forks,
and synchronizers.
• TRANSFER CASE – All internally lubricated parts.

What about the supercharger???
Old 11-18-2008, 12:31 AM

Here is the message I received today with costs from AAAutowarranty.
Sorry $3300 not $4300....
You have to click through a couple of pages before you can view the full document.
Page 2 states
"Surcharge Coverage
Turbo Charger/Supercharger: All internally lubricated parts due to mechanical failure.
1 Ton Vehicle "
Need to determine what the 1 ton vehicle thing is?? amongst many other things that would become apparent after a full review.

Andrey
Here is your Coverage Plan from AAAutoWarranty.com:

November 17, 2008

2006 Mercedes Benz CLS 14001 Miles
Washington

Gas
Turbo Supercharge

Plan : Peoples Vehicle Protection Premier
Term : 48 Month(s) or 74001 miles on odometer
Standard Deductible: $100

Available options that may interest you :

$50 Deductible : $345

Easy Payment Plan Options:

18 Month Pay Plan: $906.30 down $135.95 monthly Standard Price: $3,353.31
12 Month Pay Plan: $906.30 down $203.92 monthly Discounted Price: $3,353.31

6 Month Pay Plan: $755.25 down $422.94 monthly Discounted Price: $3,292.89
1 Month Pay Plan: $1,057.35 down $2,008.65 monthly Discounted Price: $3,066.00
Pay in full discounted Price : $3,021.00

For plan details and a link to the actual contract click here (or copy and paste link into your browser):
http://www.aaautowarranty.com/pvp_premier_07.asp

Here is another pdf of a contract from the same guys. ..haven't read it fully yet...
http://www.aaautowarranty.com/contracts/IAP_Full.pdf

Last edited by DucatiNut; 11-18-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
From my experience with aftermarket warranties, I'd self insure. They always find a loophole for a reason to not pay the claim. Or they simply go out of business and take your money.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Not familiar w/those guys....who underwrites their policies?

Might wanna get a separate thread going just to check. Also, is the 48 months from now, or from end of your four year factory warranty? Afaik none of them will delay coverage until after the end of your extra year under the CPO, so it may not be worth it....otoh, if you decide to go w/these guys instead of extending the CPO, you might see about getting the price of that CPO one year warranty deducted from your sales price and put it towards the aaa...

But again, I'd check around on the forums to see if anyone's used these guys...if they're underwritten by a reputable company they will probably be OK, but some of these outfits have gone belly-up in the past and left their customers w/nothing, not an idle concern with the current financial meltdown.

Say, this makes me think of something: is the CPO extension refundable, pro-ratable, if you get it? You could extend the CPO out for the max term at time of purchase, wait around until 3-4 months before your factory (non-CPO) expires; by then, the dust will hopefully have settled a bit, and any of the shaky warranty companies will have gone under...then you could purchase one of those, and get a refund on the CPO. Dunno, just thinking out loud, well, sort of...
Old 01-27-2012, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Also the NWC (National Warranty Corporation) will not cover any AMG vehicle.
NWC is the other big name you get when you search google. The reaction I have received after speaking with these people is very discouraging already. Looks like no one will cover an AMG at all let alone well.
not to drum up an old POST, but I was just quoted NWC for an AMG E55... from an MB dealership

48mo/60k for $3300

Last edited by Toadster; 01-27-2012 at 09:21 PM.