New owner with some question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flying Spur
New owner with some question

hey guys, i tried searching but the search function is seriously lacking on this site. ive had the car for about a week now (2006 CLS55) overall im VERY happy and pleased with the car all around, but i have a few questions

1. are the brakes supposed to squeak all the time, its VERY annoying
2. since i have ipod integration, does this mean i cant use the aux input in the glovebox? also is there any way to make the ipod louder? the volume is significantly lower than cds.
3.the car makes a very loud squeaking noise on cold starts and slowly dissipates as the car warms up, any ideas?

TIA
Old 05-18-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG
My new CLS' brakes squeak all the time too... kinda upset =(
Old 05-18-2009, 06:57 PM

:)
i believe with the ipod. if you turn up the volume on the ipod it would make the audio louder plus the volume on the unit..
Old 05-18-2009, 07:24 PM

'10 Tesla Roadster, '06 AMG CLS 55; '00 SVT F-150
Originally Posted by ssonss1
hey guys, i tried searching but the search function is seriously lacking on this site. ive had the car for about a week now (2006 CLS55) overall im VERY happy and pleased with the car all around, but i have a few questions
Yeah, I hear you... the option to search the whole forum gives you info matching across models which is hard to filter through. For CLS issues, generally use the pull down on the far right to search ONLY this sub-forum.

For your ipod issue, take a look at one of Kevin M's weekend write-ups. He has a detailed entry that explains how to reconnect the aux jack to deal with the low volume.

https://mbworld.org/forums/cls55-amg...-ipod-fix.html

As for the brakes, the easy answer is depending on the miles & wear, have your mechanic check the pads / torque the mounts. I've had mine for 2 years now & don't have squeaks (or maybe my ipod is just turned up too loud). But keep in mind, these are relatively large brake / disc surfaces compared to standard cars, so debris / particles can get embedded in the pads and scrape the disc surface easily.

As for the squeak on start-up... could be a lot of things... I'd wonder 1st about the condition of your belts & tension across the various pulleys. As the engine bay heats up like an oven, the belts will become more compliant if they are the original ones and may be already hard as my first thought as to why it goes away.

I'd get it in for an inspection if you haven't already done so, shouldn't be too complicated to figure out if you have a good mechanic in your area.

Good Luck,
- Ed
Old 05-18-2009, 07:29 PM

CLS55 AMG
The brakes shouldn't squeal. There's a few things than can cause this. If the pads have been replaced, they may not have used the anti-squeal spray on the backside of the pads when they installed them. The pads could also be glazed causing the squealing. You can sand the pads to remove the glazing or just replace them. The brakes are squeaking because of vibration either between the pad and caliper or between the pad and rotor.

The noise you describe when starting the car sounds like a loose belt or maybe a pulley going bad. The belt tensioner may also be going bad. If the car is still under warranty, I'd let the dealer look it over.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
As far as the brakes go, they sound like they are glazed. If you generally apply the brakes very lightly, they will have a tendency to glaze and squeak.

Most recently we were tuning a Gallardo, and the owner had a similar complaint. I went out with him and watched him drive, and he was a very gentle braker. I told him that was the problem and he wanted to know what he could do to fix it.... So we swapped places, and I found a road worth attacking!

Aside from showing him what his car was capable of....... low and behold... the squeaky brakes were gone! He joked with me, saying that he thought I scared the squeak away!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Flying Spur
thanks for the informative replies the car is under certified bumper to bumper warranty until 2012 so i will drop the car off with the dealer to address the issues...thanks again for all the help

Trending Topics

Old 03-03-2011, 11:10 PM

cls55
Did you get rid of the cold start squeak? What was it?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Flying Spur
Originally Posted by keith954
Did you get rid of the cold start squeak? What was it?
Nope, the squeak is still there and the dealer says it's normal, I've learned to live with it