C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Vendors please explain the inflated pricing.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
You can buy a whole 996T 660whp turbo system installed for $12,000 or a hand full of basic bolt on parts for a E55-CLS55
http://www.boostlogic.com/index.php?...tid=1:features
Old 09-03-2009, 01:45 PM

CLS55 black opal
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
Alright, I'll bite. I can only speak to ECU work, since that is what we do.

When I was a just a customer, I felt the same way that you guys do. However, being on this side and developing our products, making them work properly, etc., costs a fair amount of R&D money. Additionally, MB/AMG computers are extremely difficult to get through the multiple layers of code protection (read high priced AMG software writer). These cars are not like tuning a Cobra with a laptop. Many domestic and Asian cars can easily be tapped into, but many of the high line products from MB, Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche and BMW are not. I also will not release a product until I like the way it drives, as I do all of the development driving for our tuning.

When you take into account all the development costs, along with the limited market that we deal with, and the performance/reliability gains that we provide, I feel we are a bargain.

So polite for being a vendor. You forgot to point out that benz owners are pain in the *** customers.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:11 PM

SL63
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
Alright, I'll bite. I can only speak to ECU work, since that is what we do.

When I was a just a customer, I felt the same way that you guys do. However, being on this side and developing our products, making them work properly, etc., costs a fair amount of R&D money. Additionally, MB/AMG computers are extremely difficult to get through the multiple layers of code protection (read high priced AMG software writer). These cars are not like tuning a Cobra with a laptop. Many domestic and Asian cars can easily be tapped into, but many of the high line products from MB, Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche and BMW are not. I also will not release a product until I like the way it drives, as I do all of the development driving for our tuning.

When you take into account all the development costs, along with the limited market that we deal with, and the performance/reliability gains that we provide, I feel we are a bargain.
I agree that R & D is prohibitive !
Rennetech is a good example because the high prices reflect superior engineering. Just like the Germans who love to over engineer everything.

At our company we outsource all engineering ( electronics & plastics ) and pay $200/hr for regular engineers and $300/hr for supervisory time to review the work of their $200/hr employees.

Example:
R & D $25,000 to develop a product over the course of several months and one prototype $3000. ($28,000)

First 200 pieces of say a Rennetech module
$750 cost and a sell price of $1395

200 X $750 = $150,000 + $28,000 (R&D) = $178,000
200 x $1395 = $279,000

36.2% GP before expenses like advertising, salaries, rent etc.

So there is a large risk of capital for a modest return.
The TAM for MB-AMG mods per 55 or 63 model is in the hundreds not thousands of units.

This weeks example is the Evosport pully I ordered
the first week of July... arrived yesterday, September 2.

Turns out they only make a dozen or so per month and I had to wait: https://mbworld.org/forums/cls55-amg...-progress.html

Another example is this thread, sold a dozen or so after months of build up (pent up demand).
https://mbworld.org/forums/cls55-amg...-diffuser.html

Most small business's have one or two products that are successful and the rest coast along filling out the product portfolio so you appear larger and more respectable to clients.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by azncarjunkie
So polite for being a vendor. You forgot to point out that benz owners are pain in the *** customers.
For dropping that much on mods, I think we have that right.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:24 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by turbotom1

Example:
R & D $25,000 to develop a product over the course of several months and one prototype $3000. ($28,000)
It does not cost $25,000 to take a shelf spearco intercooler core,fab up some end tanks and weld on some mounting tabs.

It does not cost $25,000 to build a unequal length header.

It does not cost $25,000 to CNC a larger diameter crank pulley ring.

It does not cost $25,000 to mandrel bend a mid pipe section and cat-back exhaust systems.

Small shops in other communities have been doing this stuff for years and years. Documenting the progress on their respected forums and offering the parts to their customers at a fraction of the prices i have seen here. Vendors charge what they charge because they view MB owners as uninformed, clueless enthusiasts who willing to spend large amounts of money. Simply because they have no frame of reference as to what these parts actually are supposed to cost.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:07 PM

SL63
Your talking about mechanics versus engineers. I prefer to buy engineered products made by reputable companies that do extensive testing.

My point is that engineering costs money but adds value with superior results in our cars while eliminating flaws found in mechanic designed systems.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Your talking about mechanics versus engineers. I prefer to buy engineered products made by reputable companies that do extensive testing.

My point is that engineering costs money but adds value with superior results in our cars while eliminating flaws found in mechanic designed systems.

Bwhahahhahahahahha
Old 09-04-2009, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by khelawanb
Lol! I think we encourage this high mark up behavior.

Here is my question.

How do these companies survive? I've been all over the US & Canada, seen all types of cars at the shows and track, but rarely see these things actually installed and used.
Good questions and observations.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:34 AM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by Full Throttle
Bwhahahhahahahahha
lol, not like the H/Es mounted on 1000+hp Supras are a testament to the quality of it's "mechanic" origin.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:13 AM

SL63
Bwhahahhahahahahha
Ah, did that long sentence hurt your head ?
Old 09-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Ah, did that long sentence hurt your head ?
No the mind numbing ignorance of your sentence actually made me feel dumber after reading it. You clearly have no *clue* what you're talking about. Some of these *mechanics* as you ignorantly put it. Have made more power than anything in the MB world will ever make. These *mechanics* engineer parts that work from their experience at the track, and in competition. You know the stuff the real enthusiasts care about. These *mechanics* have gone 246mph at the Texas mile and these *mechanics* have made north of 1700 whp street cars.

These mechanics create parts that offer maximum performance and are designed based on what works best at the track and makes the absolute most horsepower on a given platform. These *mechanics* have built cars that have gone quicker faster and made more horsepower than anything in the AMG community period.

Here is a Header and Intercooler from two of those *mechanic* shops both support north of 1500hp

Here is a whole setup that's built 100% in shop by one of those *mechanics* as you say.

Last edited by Full Throttle; 09-06-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:23 PM

SL63
I was primarily talking about ECU, TCU, lowering modules etc. There is no reason for headers to cost $5,000 as you pointed out.

Some members use these cars as a daily driver and need to strike a balance between ultimate performance and streetability. Renntech parts do not void MB warranty and I assume that is that they offer this balance between performance and longevity.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Comparison between AMG performance parts prices & Mustang parts prices is ludicrous. The sheer number of Mustangs in existence vs AMGs should alone indicate what the price difference will be. Then add to that the number of AMG owners who actually mod their cars...the number gets even smaller. No vendor forces the customer to pay the asking price. If it's too expensive, don't buy it.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:40 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by mugatu22
Comparison between AMG performance parts prices & Mustang parts prices is ludicrous. The sheer number of Mustangs in existence vs AMGs should alone indicate what the price difference will be. Then add to that the number of AMG owners who actually mod their cars...the number gets even smaller. No vendor forces the customer to pay the asking price. If it's too expensive, don't buy it.
I am comparing the price points for specifically 2003-2004 cobras only, not the total number of mustangs in existence. The engine configuration in the E55 and CLS55 and the way they are modified is identical. The price differences don't stop with fords. As mentioned, its cheaper to modify Supra's, 996T's GTR's and almost every other forced inducted platform in existence. I promise you there are not more 2009-2010 Nissan GTR's on the road than 2003-2006 E55's or 2006 CLS55's, so your theory holds no water.

If it's too expensive, don't buy it
Exactlt right. I will not pay top dollar for low grade low quality parts that look like they were *engineered* in someones basement.

Last edited by Full Throttle; 09-08-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:42 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
I was primarily talking about ECU, TCU, lowering modules etc. There is no reason for headers to cost $5,000 as you pointed out.
Gotcha sorry for the misunderstanding I agree with you on on the ELM and ECU tuning.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:07 AM

14-F Sport, 07-CLS63 2003-HUMMER 2004-Suburban 2008-MAX 2005-YZF R1
Full Throttle..... has a point! I also have notice when someone comes out with a competitive product/price they get bashed alot or someone tries to say a negitive comment to keep the high prices.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mathmik
Full Throttle..... has a point! I also have notice when someone comes out with a competitive product/price they get bashed alot or someone tries to say a negitive comment to keep the high prices.
Very True mathmik.

I think we both see the writing on the wall. As prices continue to drop. More and more younger enthusiasts will begin buying E55's. Vendors that support other *similar* platforms will begin to take notice. At that point it will be game over for the $4000 header sellers. These guys better get it while it last. I will be keeping my baby stock until the real players step up to the plate. Regarding engineering, i was looking at the area between the radiator and the bumper support on my CLS. The area is HUGE why vendors are still building soda can sized H/E is behind my realm of understanding. Knowing heat soak is a huge issue with these cars. You would think that these *engineers* would stuff the largest core possible in these cars, maybe someone will
Old 09-08-2009, 11:44 AM

Those things are HUGE the Greddy 3 row i had on my supra was massive all polished end tanks robotic welds it was a work of art. for our cars a H/E like in the link i posted would be awesome. People in the community are making 700whp without heat soak.
It's mercedes tax. The same goes for Vipers, Porsches, Lambos etc... If you have a 100k car you feel more comfortable putting a $1000 exhaust on it than some $200 chinese exhaust. Even though they may perform the same, most people dont want the cheap **** on their cars... If they charge more they feel they gain "quality" because of the price.

Plus there are reason why and why not you would buy from a certain company.

For instance, I would not buy a Greddy intercooler because at high horsepower, high boost applications the end tanks split and turns the intercooler into a pile of scrap.

Last edited by SteelCitySupra; 09-08-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by SteelCitySupra
It's mercedes tax. The same goes for Vipers, Porsches, Lambos etc... If you have a 100k car you feel more comfortable putting a $1000 exhaust on it than some $200 chinese exhaust. Even though they may perform the same, most people dont want the cheap **** on their cars... If they charge more they feel they gain "quality" because of the price.

Plus there are reason why and why not you would buy from a certain company.

For instance, I would not buy a Greddy intercooler because at high horsepower, high boost applications the end tanks split and turns the intercooler into a pile of scrap.
MB owners are in fact putting low quality parts on their cars and paying top dollar for them. I guess it also depends what you consider high horse power. I have not seen one E55/CLS55 making north of 550whp. All the Terminator H/E, headers..ect support north of that for a fraction of what MB parts cost. But you know better than anyone that sometimes even the high dollar stuff can last only one pass down the Track

Last edited by Full Throttle; 09-08-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 PM

MB owners are in fact putting low quality parts on their cars and paying top dollar for them. I guess it also depends what you consider high horse power. I have not seen one E55/CLS55 making north of 550whp. All the Terminator H/E, headers..ect support north of that for a fraction of what MB parts cost. But you know better than anyone that sometimes even the high dollar stuff can last only one pass down the Track
My high horsepower standards are a little higher than normal . I agree, its a shame that 1) people are putting cheap parts on a mercedes 2) That manufactures are eliminating that buying group from purchasing higher end products because of their price tag.

Also keep in mind how many cobras there are running around out there. Those products can be produced in mass quanities. The AMG market is just a tad smaller...
Old 09-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
My high horsepower standards are a little higher than normal . I agree, its a shame that 1) people are putting cheap parts on a mercedes 2) That manufactures are eliminating that buying group from purchasing higher end products because of their price tag.

Also keep in mind how many cobras there are running around out there. Those products can be produced in mass quanities. The AMG market is just a tad smaller...
I agree but im not sure there are that many more 2003-2004 cobras globally than there are K55 E55's and CLS55's. This market is global, and this community is starving for real cost effective solutions for their cooling and horse power needs. Im sure you have looked at your CLS extensively. We have a huge area in the font bumper and behind the core supper for a massive heat exchange that will eliminate all the cooling issue that the stock blower is creating. These things are only running about 13psi with full exhaust tops even with the largest pulley available. The cross section of most the the H/C in this community is no larger than a soda can, and they are very narrow. However i do agree this community is smaller but im still seeing better pricng for low run number cars like GTR's other semi exotic cars.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:53 PM

I agree but im not sure there are that many more 2003-2004 cobras globally than there are K55 E55's and CLS55's. This market is global, and this community is starving for real cost effective solutions for their cooling and horse power needs. Im sure you have looked at your CLS extensively. We have a huge area in the font bumper and behind the core supper for a massive heat exchange that will eliminate all the cooling issue that the stock blower is creating. These things are only running about 13psi with full exhaust tops even with the largest pulley available. The cross section of most the the H/C in this community is no larger than a soda can, and they are very narrow. However i do agree this community is smaller but im still seeing better pricng for low run number cars like GTR's other semi exotic cars.
I haven’t looked into the issue very much and not aware of the actual available dimensions. If it is just a air/air cooler then I would suggest just grabbing a small spearco core and having someone weld on the end tanks/brackets. Could be done for under $800 and provide more than enough cooling!
Old 09-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
I haven’t looked into the issue very much and not aware of the actual available dimensions. If it is just a air/air cooler then I would suggest just grabbing a small spearco core and having someone weld on the end tanks/brackets. Could be done for under $800 and provide more than enough cooling!
This is exactly my point.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Fair enough. Cherry picking the 03-04 Cobra market as comparison I can see your point. The "Mercedes tax" does show when pricing some of the items you mentioned. Best of luck w/your mods and the pricing, I'm right behind you wanting more equal pricing (it'd be easier on my wallet too) but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:11 PM

SL63
year model sold vehicles
2004 E55 3,218
2005 E55 2,214
2006 E55 1,187
2007 E63 1,353
- - - - - - - - - -
2006 CLS55 2,765
2007 CLS63 699

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...0&d=1211727371

GTR
2008 1,730
2009 2,400 (estimated)

http://nissangtrclub.com/showthread.php?t=2139

http://www.2009gtr.com/2009/02/january-gt-r-sales.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vendors please explain the inflated pricing.