C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Problems after kleemann install / need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS500 with 55 AMG motor, 2008 Infiniti G35, 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager
Problems after kleemann install / need help!

Please help with any info?

I recently had a Kleemann Supercharger installed in my CLS500. Love the new system, and I will be on the dyno soon. Stock dyno resulted in 257rwhp, and I expect 360rwhp, which is good for the CLS500. I want to get her up to 400rwhp with a few other mods.

I now have a short list of problems:

1. No power steering
2. No cruise control
3. No tire pressure monitoring system
4. ABS light is on constantly
5. ESP warning

I was told that the issues were from a bad ECU tune, but the ECU was returned to the stock file, and the problems still existed. I know that my steering control arm was lowered to install headers, so I'm not sure if something went wrong there

I can also feel active power steering after the first 3 to 4 seconds when starting the car, but then it goes away, and gets very very stiff.

Please help with any ideas or recommendations.

I have no idea why this is happening. Thanks guys!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
ECU was returned to the STOCK file with a Kleeman kit?! I hope I am reading that wrong...
Old 10-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
ECU was returned to the STOCK file with a Kleeman kit?! I hope I am reading that wrong...
me to, you are FI now mate stock file is dangerous!!!

contact corray from K;eeman i hear he is a good guy, also let him talk to your installer to find out where the bug is
Old 10-16-2009, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The car now has the ECU back to a Kleemann file. We put the file back to stock just to test it. I did not drive it, I just started it to see if power steering would return, but it didn't.

Cory is helping me 100%, and after sending my ecu off to them almost 5 times, we do not think it's the ECU.

Last edited by khelawanb; 10-16-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
Take your car back to whomever did the work and make them fix it.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:33 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG Sold 2010 E550 Coupe totaled '13 SL550 current and loving it!
Who did the install? Do they have experience installing a s/c? Bring it back to them asap if you haven't already. Lets us know how it works out, good luck!
Old 10-16-2009, 01:12 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Full Throttle
+1

Let me know if you need any help Brent, one of my good friends is a Benz Tech.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Full Throttle
I wish it was that easy Full Throttle, but the shop is really far, and customer service seems to be very complicated.

Forced to turn to my friends for help.

last option is to send the car to Kleemann, which will cost me more money.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by is3mike
+1

Let me know if you need any help Brent, one of my good friends is a Benz Tech.
Thanks Mike! I'm sure it's something really small. But, It might be something big, but either way I'm prepared to fix it. Locating the problem is the hard part.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:50 PM

ML320cdi, F250dsl.
Did these issues start right after the install or it took some time/miles before they surfaced? Also can you get a star diagnosis test print out of all control units with all/any codes and pm them to me.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:03 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
ESP issues

this may seem Odd, But you get all of those indicators when the Car is in Dyno mode!! Check and see if the car was recently in Dyno test Mode , then taken out of the Dyno mode properly. I had a Kleemann Kompressor install and let the car sit for quite sometime with no Use or a battery Hooked up. I put the car back into service and Had a ABS , BAS, & ESP . I cleared them with a OBD scanner and drove the car slowly down the street , Turning the Steering wheel Lock to lock several times. Then I had only the ESP Error message in the display. I sent the ECU back to Kleemann ,Just to see if maybe it was something in the Software. The only thing that was found , was!! , nothing was found . So off to my mod friendly dealer , They found it !!It was caused by a bad rotary and Lateral acceleration sensor speed. NOT in Kleemanns Software. Have you had your Car sideways lately
___PTEngineering
Old 10-16-2009, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PTE
this may seem Odd, But you get all of those indicators when the Car is in Dyno mode!! Check and see if the car was recently in Dyno test Mode , then taken out of the Dyno mode properly. I had a Kleemann Kompressor install and let the car sit for quite sometime with no Use or a battery Hooked up. I put the car back into service and Had a ABS , BAS, & ESP . I cleared them with a OBD scanner and drove the car slowly down the street , Turning the Steering wheel Lock to lock several times. Then I had only the ESP Error message in the display. I sent the ECU back to Kleemann ,Just to see if maybe it was something in the Software. The only thing that was found , was!! , nothing was found . So off to my mod friendly dealer , They found it !!It was caused by a bad rotary and Lateral acceleration sensor speed. NOT in Kleemanns Software. Have you had your Car sideways lately
___PTEngineering
Car was put in dyno mode for the stock dyno reading before the install. I was not present for that, so I have no idea if dyno mode was turned off properly. I just tried putting it in dyno mode, and it won't let me. It says " diagnostic test unavailable".

Yes, the car has been sideways recently from a little fooling around, and just getting a feel for the new power, but the issues were already present. Now that you mention the speed sensor, I notice that at high speeds, the steering seems ok, but when I slow down it feels stiff again. I'm taking the car to the shop early Monday morning. I will mention the rotary and acceleration speed sensor to the tech.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dsmed
Did these issues start right after the install or it took some time/miles before they surfaced? Also can you get a star diagnosis test print out of all control units with all/any codes and pm them to me.
These issues started right after the install.

after the install, the car would not even start. That was from a wrong file used by Kleemann, who fixed that problem with a new file, which got the car going. I'm not sure if that first file caused damage to the car's system
That situation was not the installers fault. But when the car was started for the first time, these problems were present.

I will pm you the codes Monday morning.

Thank you
Old 10-16-2009, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
You got a beautifull car and good luck.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:56 PM

SL63
wow, that sucks... let me know if I can help somehow.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:14 PM

ML320cdi, F250dsl.
Originally Posted by khelawanb

after the install, the car would not even start. That was from a wrong file used by Kleemann, who fixed that problem with a new file, which got the car going. I'm not sure if that first file caused damage to the car's system
That situation was not the installers fault. But when the car was started for the first time, these problems were present.

Thank you

When you get the car to the shop have them look at the electric valve at the steering rack. MB calls it the SPS valve. It's what controls speed sensitive steering. If the connector or wiring got pinched or left unplugged that will set esp, abs, bas, into limp mode. When they lowered the suspension components to install headers could have accidentally gotten damaged. The star diagnosis test print out should give us a better idea of whats going on though.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
I wish it was that easy Full Throttle, but the shop is really far, and customer service seems to be very complicated.

Forced to turn to my friends for help.

last option is to send the car to Kleemann, which will cost me more money.
Got your message. Its important to let the community know about things like this so no one else get burned. I think its time to name names.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Some of your symptoms are a classic case of a busted wheel speed sensor.

Should be cheap and easy to fix.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:01 AM

05 sl600, 06 CLS55 AMG, 1971 Cuda

Thank you
I would send the car to kleemann, its going to cost more but they know what they are doing. They have quality products and their customer service is great, and they stand behind their products. I had to send my car to them because of a couple of not so bright installers.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:44 PM

SL63
Hey Brent,
These are all great suggestions, one of them should nail it down or at least eliminate possibilities.
esp control.
speed sensor.
sps valve.

hard to believe you sent the ecu to KLEEMANN 5 times, your so calm and patient !

I would pay my exwife $100 to chew their legs off. Grown men develop facial twitchs after a phone call from her, lol

Old 10-20-2009, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by turbotom1
Hey Brent,
These are all great suggestions, one of them should nail it down or at least eliminate possibilities.
esp control.
speed sensor.
sps valve.

hard to believe you sent the ecu to KLEEMANN 5 times, your so calm and patient !

I would pay my exwife $100 to chew their legs off. Grown men develop facial twitchs after a phone call from her, lol

Lol! I will keep her in mind.

Changing the ESP control module on Friday.

Speed sensors are good.

Also......power was given to my power steering through a seperate power connection, and it works!!!
Not sure how they did that!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whats up guys.

My solenoid was hard wired directly to power, and power steering returned. Also found a fault code saying CAN communication with engine ECU is faulty.
We now think that the ESP control unit is faulty, and it's not broadcasting the wheel speed signal on the CAN BUS. My car is a first generation CLS that uses wheel speed to detect air pressure, so that's probably why my tire pressure monitoring system is not working. This will also explain why my cruise control is not working.

Changing ESP control module on Friday, fingers crossed.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update!

Had my ecu reprogramed at the dealer today and everything is working now, with no fault codes. So..... It was the ecu after all.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Had my ecu reprogramed at the dealer today and everything is working now, with no fault codes. So..... It was the ecu after all.
Tim and i were talking about you last night small world huh
Old 10-26-2009, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
People are saying it's dangerous to run the ECU with a stock file isn't that still true? There are not many 500s with blowers on them. I am guessing Kleemaan hasn't perfected the programming. I think they should cover the dealer bill since their product was causing the fault and I am sure you spent a lot of money on your new toy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problems after kleemann install / need help!