C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Hydro-locked engine update. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 & CL CK60
Hydro-locked engine update. Any suggestions?

Basically I now am the proud owner of a AMG that needs a rebuilt engine due to the hydro-locking I went through. Insurance company paid off the lien and handed me a check for the difference so now I get to bring this baby back to life. I am fortunate to have Hartmut Feyhl and Renn-tech corporate offices right down the street from my house. They will be doing the rebuild and any modifications I choose to do.

So basically I have a Kompressor motor with 30k miles on it that I get to modify once disassembled. What do you guys recommend? Hartmut has mentioned replacing internals with SLR pistons and rods amongst other things. I am not a tuner so I dont know much about what can be done to our engines. I am familiar with the bolt-ons and I already have those mods planned but I dont know what to do with the engine itself. What do you guys suggest?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09 C63 11 E350
If its been hydro-locked,it could be junk. Find someone that is EXPERIENCED with the specific motor and go from there. There is absolutely no way to tell what was destroyed. In reality, even the block could be damaged beyond repair. I'd be more concerned about getting a RUNNING engine together-than trying to decide to build a killer performance engine.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:18 PM

CLS55
just a site i came across...

http://www.automotix.net/usedengines...inventory.html
Old 01-07-2010, 11:25 PM

CLS55 & CL CK60
Originally Posted by Arclight338
If its been hydro-locked,it could be junk. Find someone that is EXPERIENCED with the specific motor and go from there. There is absolutely no way to tell what was destroyed. In reality, even the block could be damaged beyond repair. I'd be more concerned about getting a RUNNING engine together-than trying to decide to build a killer performance engine.
we got the engine to turn over and 2 cylinders dont give good compression readings. Renntech says that in MOST cases it is as simple as replacing the connecting rods and bearings. We shall see though
Old 01-08-2010, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Hydrolocked with bent rods?

If it were me (and I've rebuilt several engines) at a minimum it would get rings, rod and main bearings, timing chain with guides, and a valve job. That's the absolute bare minimum. If you've never rebuilt an engine, here's why – If a rod is bent, the crank has to be mic'd (examined to ensure it's straight). When the crank is reinstalled, no one in their right mind is going to reuse bearings or rings. Besides, any cylinder with a bent rod has bad rings. Chains and guides are cheap. While it's apart, valve jobs are cheap, so that's a given (which means it's getting cam bearings too).

If you're doing pistons and rods, you're doing a full rebuild.

Last edited by MarcusF; 01-08-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:45 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Renntech Rebuild

I'm Sure Renntech is going to install the proper rebuild parts. The SLR pistons & Rods are expensive, and they are much more durable . But understand taking your car for a boat ride . something has got to give !! Your damn lucky it was not Salt water . Well anyway they got to take the heads off. and touch up the valve seats & Valve faces. You might as well have the heads ported & some titanium spring retainers installed . I mean what the heck! this is a great time to get the hard stuff done, while the motor is a part! Cheers _PT Engineering

P/S I was up to MB of Ft. Pierce that had 4 customer cars that went boating Just like you. so don't feel to bad . you ain't the only one

Last edited by PTE; 01-08-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Honestly, I think SLR pistons and rods are worth it. If I was building a motor I would do SLR internals. It would be nice to see what the weight difference is from stock vs SLR. Infact I bet I can find that out for you. From my Renntech source.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:13 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Hydrolocked with bent rods?

If it were me (and I've rebuilt several engines) at a minimum it would get rings, rod and main bearings, timing chain with guides, and a valve job. That's the absolute bare minimum. If you've never rebuilt an engine, here's why – If a rod is bent, the crank has to be mic'd (examined to ensure it's straight). When the crank is reinstalled, no one in their right mind is going to reuse bearings or rings. Besides, any cylinder with a bent rod has bad rings. Chains and guides are cheap. While it's apart, valve jobs are cheap, so that's a given (which means it's getting cam bearings too).

If you're doing pistons and rods, you're doing a full rebuild.
I couldn't agree more with all this! I also don't think a company like RT would simply just swap out the rod and bearing, and send him on his way. I think, more so hope, they would do the above mention procedures at the VERY least. I mean lets face it people, a rod is not something easy to break, bend or damage. If you're managed to accomplish that feat, chances are there are other much more vulnerable components inside your engine that have also met there fate. These "other" components may not sound, or appear to be damaged at face value, but the last thing you want to hear or feel is a spun bearing throw your whole rebuild off 1K miles down the road, only because you or the shop opted not to replace it. So with that said, whomever you speak with, be sure they're going to perform a thorough and complete rebuild on your motor. To have some assurance the job was performed in that manor, ask them to box and save EVERY component that was replaced.

Last but not least, find out about the shops or rebuilders warranty and or guarantee on his work. DO NOT, and I can't stress that enough, DO NOT work with anyone that does stand behind what they build!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:27 AM

Merc CLS500 & BMW X3
As for mods--be sure and ask yourself this question--how much bang am I going to get for my buck ??? I can't see spending an extra 10K on internal mods to pick up .25 sec. in the quarter mile. This is already a highly developed engine in the AMG stock form; what is further modification going to do for reliability ???
Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 PM

CLS55 plus a few Ducati's
MarcusF is correct and I agree with him entirely.
One thought that did occur to me concerned the effects of a mass of cold water entering the hot head and block. I would probably want them dye penetrant or x ray tested for cracks. The thermal shock would have been considerable. Good luck... probably a good idea to balance the crank as well.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:37 PM

CLS55 & CL CK60
engine should be out on a stand and fully broken down by monday or tuesday. ill let let u know what is going on