Adding Voice Control Module to Comand system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLS63 AMG 030; 1970 Ford Mustang Coupe
Adding Voice Control Module to Comand system

Hello,

Does anyone know if it's possible to add the voice control module (voice activation)? I have a 2007 CLS63.

I figured not, just wondering.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:09 PM

CLS63
I saw a private party listing that claimed their CLS63 had voice activation. Was a very strange optioned car. It had heated, but not ventilated seats as well. So maybe it was some kind of special order? I wasn't all that impressed with the voice activation on the CLS550 as you couldn't put a nav address in with it. Only real reason i'd use it.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:44 PM

CLS63
Not sure if this link works, but here is the car i was talking about. You can see in the pictures it has the voice control stalk near the steering wheel.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 01-21-2010, 02:55 AM

huh

that is odd.

I talked to the people at Fletcher Jones, they basically said no, it's a factory installed option you can't add it after the fact. Some people on the ML board were saying you could, but I don't think so. Interestingly, when my blackberry is plugged into the Aux port, and I press the voice dialing button on the side of the phone, I can voice dial through the COMAND system. Has to be plugged into AUX port, not just with bluetooth.

The iPOD interface price has been reduced, however. I think they said the unit was $171.00 plus tax. I saw one on Ebay for $145. Probably I'm going to get that.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:02 PM

CLS63
I think you are just hearing the audio output via aux and your voice dialing is being picked up by the blackberry mic. it would be the same idea as if you just head heaphones with no mic. and did voice dial.

One thing to think about is the IPOD interface kit diables the Aux Jack. Also i read the volume on the IPOD interface kit is really low. I'm just keeping the aux jack so i can change music from my iphone, and listen to Pandora easily. I just run a 6ft audio cable out of the glove box and towards the center console, tucking the wire under the center consolue trim.

If you do go ahead with the IPOD adapter, i'd like to know how well it works for you.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:57 PM

Well, maybe I just have to be happy with what I've got.

I heard the iPOD interface audio was bad, but I was hoping they fixed that.

I did NOT know it disabled the AUX port. That's a big negative for me. I actually think the audio through the AUX port is quite good, and more than loud enough.

Are you able to get the SMS feature to work with your phone? I am not. Maybe you need one of those cradles.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:46 PM

CLS63
I have a BT module that does everthing but the SMS. I'm using an iphone. I have no idea how the sms works. My guess it it just have to be the right phone.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:51 PM

Bluetooth Puck? I have that too. I believe there are actual phone cradles that can be installed in place of the puck, that connect the phone to the car and charge it at the same time. Probably only for a few select phones which are likely outdated at this point. I'd rather use the puck thing.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:29 PM

CLS63
There is a way to have the aux port and the Ipod plug in. It's been done on this forum. So when plugged in the audio still comes from the aux port but the ipod can be controlled from the command and steering wheel when plugged into the ipod integration kit. It requires undoing something that is normally done in the Ipod install. If they are doing the install for you, maybe you can have them alter the install that way. (I think it's essentially leaving the aux jack cord plugged into the back of the head unit and leaving the audio form the ipod integration unplugged.)
Old 01-22-2010, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
I have it, it's a module that is added in the trunk where the phone equipment goes and then you plug in then steering wheel stalk, all of our cars are prewired for it. It's not a US factory option, I believe only available in Europe. I purchased the parts used from someone on the board. Check my prior post for a DIY that I wrote.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:50 AM

CLS63
Hi Kevin,

Tried to find you past DIY and didn't see it. will try another search later. But wanted to ask if you knew if the CLS550 voice control module was the same thing? Was thinking it might be easier to order that module locally than trying to get it from Europe.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
I don't see why the 550 would be different, look on the right side of your steering column, do you see a black rubber cover? That is where the stalk goes
Old 01-22-2010, 10:05 PM

Yep,

I have got the stalk on the steering wheel all right. That's why I asked in the first place. You order this from Europe??

I don't think I have any phone equipment in the trunk. I have the DVD Nav in the trunk.

Sounds easy enough. Funny the dealer would tell me no.

Also, Dericious, regarding your other post, I tried my car in all the modes C/M/S, after your post, and every mode starts in first gear.

What are the OEM tires on our car? I have Bridgestone Potenzas, are those the stalk tires?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
If you have the prewired for the puck in the center console then you have the phone equipment. Open the trunk, pull out the liner, towards the back up against the rear seats you will see a long back plastic cover, that is where the voice module and phone parts are located. I may have part numbers on my DIY or the pics I'll search.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:18 PM

Hey, that would be really helpful, thanks. Yes, I have the puck. I'd like to buy this thing from Europe, if the exchange rate isn't too forbidding. Maybe that Swedish site? Leave it to the Swedes.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
Here is the DIY

https://mbworld.org/forums/cls55-amg...ystem-vcs.html
Old 01-23-2010, 01:56 AM

CLS63
Originally Posted by drmike5000
Yep,

I have got the stalk on the steering wheel all right. That's why I asked in the first place. You order this from Europe??

I don't think I have any phone equipment in the trunk. I have the DVD Nav in the trunk.

Sounds easy enough. Funny the dealer would tell me no.

Also, Dericious, regarding your other post, I tried my car in all the modes C/M/S, after your post, and every mode starts in first gear.

What are the OEM tires on our car? I have Bridgestone Potenzas, are those the stalk tires?
Yep, it makes no sense to me. C should start in 2 and S in 1. I seriously have to stomp on the gas and risk a ticket before it'll actually start off in 1st for me. I got the same tires on mine, virtually brand new rubber. Stock is the pirelli P-zero's i believe. But prefer Bridgestone as i've had good luck with them in the past. Also heard the Pzero's get really noisy after about 50% treadwear, but they are also very sticky tires.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:58 AM

CLS63
Originally Posted by Kevin M.
Thanks Kevin. not sure why i couldn't find that with search. emailed your buy about VCS kits for a CLS. DrMike. will let you know if i hear anything back about stand alone VCS kits for the CLS, if you haven't already gotten info.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:02 AM

Yeah, Kevin, thanks a lot. It's a lot of info, and I admit, I'm a little confused as to where to go from here, but I will spend some time digesting your posts and try to figure it out. Your detailed description is very helpful.

Dericious, I think it's probably a simple issue of re-setting your ECU. I know on my last car I had to do this. There's always some protocol, "step on the gas, pull your ear, flip the bird", etc. etc., but whatever it is for this car, probably will fix the problem. I assume we were talking about the paddle shifters.

I was wondering what was stock. Pirelli's were stock? Nice handling tires, but wear out so fast. I'm partial to Michellin's. Anyway.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
This may be a better solution using your ipod/iphone.
check it out at: http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...N_GW51MO2.html

Let me know if anyone has done this. Looks real good and considering it.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:26 PM

CLS63
I think there was a youtube video of the install. The one thing i thought was annoying was that you had to press and hold the FF button every-time you wanted to select something. And i'm not sure if it works with the steering wheel display after its installed.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:35 PM

So, I don't have the prewiring. I talked to Keith and he walked me through it. I took the false trunk out and looked under the electronics cover- or whatever you call it, and I don't have the connector. Apparently '06's all have it,and most '07's don't for whatever reason. So, I can't add the VCS module, at least, not easily.

He still thought there might be a fix, but it's more involved. It requires modified the module that's back there and maybe having to run some wires to the head unit. He was going to let me know.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:55 PM

CLS63
Bummer. I didn't get a chance to check my car yet. Still in the shop. (getting my parktronic fixed and one problem led to another.)

Odd that the '07's typically don't have the wiring. I've test drove a 550 that has the VCS. I wonder why they wouldn't just have it pre-wired.

Last edited by Dericious; 01-25-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:06 PM

2006 CLS 55, 2005 Infiniti QX56, 1994 Softail Springer
Smile iPod Integration Kit

Originally Posted by Dericious
I think you are just hearing the audio output via aux and your voice dialing is being picked up by the blackberry mic. it would be the same idea as if you just head heaphones with no mic. and did voice dial.

One thing to think about is the IPOD interface kit diables the Aux Jack. Also i read the volume on the IPOD interface kit is really low. I'm just keeping the aux jack so i can change music from my iphone, and listen to Pandora easily. I just run a 6ft audio cable out of the glove box and towards the center console, tucking the wire under the center consolue trim.

If you do go ahead with the IPOD adapter, i'd like to know how well it works for you.
I have a dealer installed iPod integration kit. The iPod runs through the COMAND system, posts song titles in the instrument cluster, lets me use the controls on the wheel, and sounds terrific. I would recommend giving it a try.

Last edited by TraumaDude; 02-06-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 02-08-2010, 06:54 PM

I got mine installed last week.

I noticed mostly, it works pretty good. Once and a while, a song sounds distorted. I have my Eq on the iPod set to "Rock", I'm going to try setting it back to "Off" and see if that helps. If not, then it's probably the way those songs were encoded, and they won't play well through the system. It's not all the songs, but a very small percentage.

It might also be the iPod amp introducing some distortion. If it continues and bothers me, I might try removing the amp and see if that helps. The amp gets rid of the volume problem, but overcompensates, it's maybe too loud. I turn the volume down on the iPod itself.