C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Getting rid of my CLS as soon as lease is up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Getting rid of my CLS as soon as lease is up

This is my 2nd AMG. Loved my E55 supercharged. When I switched to the CLS63, loved it. So much better I thought.

After a few months, I started hating the 7-speed transmission. When I am coming to a stop in my housing track, I come to a 5mph roll then I make my left turn or right turn. The CLS hestiates and doesn't move for 1 second then bang, I go. This is extememly dangerous when I come to an intersection, I look, making a right turn on red at a 3-5 mph, I hit the accelerator about 1 inch down and nothing. It takes about 1 second before the car will bang and go violently. ECU resets helps. Driving in C mode totally helps. Took it into dealership 2-3 times. Had a technician drive with me. Had all the flashes done to it. Same as before. I am beginning to hate the car. I am going to leave the MB AMG family as long as the 7 speed is around. The ECU doesn't want to go to 1st gear because the transmission is not super strong like the 5 speed. So, it puts you into 2nd gear to save the transmission. Oh wait, at 3-5 mph, maybe we should put it to 1st,... no 2nd..no 1st. MB messed up on this so bad. I will only let my wife drive in in "C" mode.

The technican at MB says. When you first drive, try to floor it all the way for a few seconds, and then you won't have that problem. I said, explain that when I take clients out. "Excuse me, I have to floor it and act like a rice racer because my car can't shift right as I accelarate to 50 mph in a 30 zone." Or explain that to a cop, "my dealership told me to floor it so I don't get into an accident when making turns."

Sorry, just had to vent. I am done.
P.S. My wife's GL has no problem with her 7 speed.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG
When i start up my car at a cold start and drive while the car is still cold it sometimes hesitates and lurches forward. Goes away once the car is fully warmed up.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Originally Posted by dacls63amg
When i start up my car at a cold start and drive while the car is still cold it sometimes hesitates and lurches forward. Goes away once the car is fully warmed up.
+1. Our ML63 is sort of jumpy when cold, but after that, it's very responsive and doesn't seem to have the issue you described.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
Originally Posted by amgbg
This is my 2nd AMG. Loved my E55 supercharged. When I switched to the CLS63, loved it. So much better I thought.

After a few months, I started hating the 7-speed transmission. When I am coming to a stop in my housing track, I come to a 5mph roll then I make my left turn or right turn. The CLS hestiates and doesn't move for 1 second then bang, I go. This is extememly dangerous when I come to an intersection, I look, making a right turn on red at a 3-5 mph, I hit the accelerator about 1 inch down and nothing. It takes about 1 second before the car will bang and go violently. ECU resets helps. Driving in C mode totally helps. Took it into dealership 2-3 times. Had a technician drive with me. Had all the flashes done to it. Same as before. I am beginning to hate the car. I am going to leave the MB AMG family as long as the 7 speed is around. The ECU doesn't want to go to 1st gear because the transmission is not super strong like the 5 speed. So, it puts you into 2nd gear to save the transmission. Oh wait, at 3-5 mph, maybe we should put it to 1st,... no 2nd..no 1st. MB messed up on this so bad. I will only let my wife drive in in "C" mode.

The technican at MB says. When you first drive, try to floor it all the way for a few seconds, and then you won't have that problem. I said, explain that when I take clients out. "Excuse me, I have to floor it and act like a rice racer because my car can't shift right as I accelarate to 50 mph in a 30 zone." Or explain that to a cop, "my dealership told me to floor it so I don't get into an accident when making turns."

i used to get the same issues with my E63 , give it a lil gas and a brief hesitation then it would start bucking like your first time letting out a clutch .

Ever since my mods and the tune i have not had these issues again .
Old 02-13-2010, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
Try posting this on the private lounge and ask MBUSA directly to step in. My 07 did the same thing a few times and was fixed by the first flash at the dealer.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:21 AM

CLS63 AMG
Thanks for the suggestions. My lease is coming up, so I am not going to get MB or any aftermkt. Just such a disappointment after getting the E55. Everyone keep complimenting on my car, and all I can say is I hate the transmission.

I hate to say it, but the new CLS does nothing for me. I think this body style looks much better. I still love my wife's GL and maybe I will come back to MB after giving the new XJ and if I don't like that, the new XFR a try.
The XFR, when I drove it, felt like the old E55. 6 Speed ( I know 55 had 5 speed), and lots of torque. The 7 speed is always hunting for gears in my opinion.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

By the way, I bent my front rim hitting a pot hole and when the tire guys looked at my rims, they said all 4 were slightly bent. The AMG rims bend so easily. I also bent my E55 rim. So, I am not sure how good the AMG rims are.

Thanks again.

amgbg
Old 02-21-2010, 08:48 PM

CLS63
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by turbotom1
Try posting this on the private lounge and ask MBUSA directly to step in. My 07 did the same thing a few times and was fixed by the first flash at the dealer.
If u post this in the private lounge ill 2nd the request.

Your hesitation is caused by the trnsmission never using 1st gear.

Even "S" mode starts in 2nd untill u floor it. It's so stupid it's ridiculous.

The whole point of C mode is to start in 2nd. Yet on the CLS 63 starting in 1 only happens when u pit it in S mode and floor it once and really rev the engine. Just a moronic setup. I've complained to both my local dealer and MBUSA and have been told the behavior is normal. Just ridiculous.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:30 AM

CLS55
https://mbworld.org/forums/cls55-amg...ecu-flash.html
Old 02-25-2010, 02:09 PM

CLS55 AMG 030
Originally Posted by amgbg

I believe there's an ECU update that will allow it to start in 1st all the time. I saw this being discussed in the Eclass AMG forum.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:10 PM

CLS55 AMG 030
Bingo!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:57 AM

CLS63 AMG
I took my car in a month ago and they updated my ECU software. For the first 100 miles it was awsome. Now, 500 miles later, it feels exactly the same.
I did a timed test. It takes 1 full second after pushing my pedal 1/4 way down before my car will even move 5 feet. I guess they call that the tip in throttle. So, I do already have the update according to my dealer.
Thanks anyways.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:35 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
I was just browsing through this forum and I just wish to clarify that even in S-mode the gearbox in the CLS63 starts in second????? My 7-spd ALWAYS starts in 1st gear if I'm in S-mode . It will always start in 2nd gear if I'm in C-mode though flooring it will make it shift to 1st.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:06 AM

CLS
Not that it matters but just for public record the 7 speed in my CLS ALWAYS starts in first gear when Drive/S is selected and ALWAYS starts in 2nd in Drive/C. It does not matter how I drive it, it's always consistent. Also, no hesitation. The car moves at even the lightest touch of the throttle.

If I'm in Drive/C at the stop light and select S by pressing the button I can feel it mechanically shifting into 1st. It also shifts hard from 1st to 2nd. Doesn't chirp but wants to. On the other hand if I'm in Drive/S at the light and select C, I can feel the trans "let go" into 2nd gear.

The car is 100% stock.

Last edited by Esleeper; 02-28-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:14 PM

CLS63 AMG
My CLS always starts in 1st unless I am in C mode. But when I am in "C" mode, I don't have my hesitation issue. I can let my wife drive it knowing its ok. However, driving in "C" mode makes me think I kinda paid 20K for and AMG that I am not enjoying.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:47 PM

CLS63
I got a software update after complaining about clunky shifts and showing the TSB to the advisor. Now i have the amgbg's issue with the hesitation.

If you drive the car in AMG mode (on the display) it looks like the hesitation is actually caused by the computer hesitating to shift gears on turns if you slow down enough it can't decide to be in 1st or 2nd and when you press the gas, it actually downshifts after a pause and then wham, first gear hits all the sudden with the throttle pressed.

Turbo Tom, you don't know what TSB addressed this, do you?
Old 03-20-2011, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by Dericious
I got a software update after complaining about clunky shifts and showing the TSB to the advisor. Now i have the amgbg's issue with the hesitation.

If you drive the car in AMG mode (on the display) it looks like the hesitation is actually caused by the computer hesitating to shift gears on turns if you slow down enough it can't decide to be in 1st or 2nd and when you press the gas, it actually downshifts after a pause and then wham, first gear hits all the sudden with the throttle pressed.

Turbo Tom, you don't know what TSB addressed this, do you?
After 3 documented repair attempts to resolve a safety related issue I sucessfully prevailed in a California Arbitration claim. The TCU certainly is a safety related issue.
As one who won a complete buy back after 3 years of driving, it is worth the effort. The downside to this, is the law allows deprication for the miles driven which is calculated at $.10/mi. So, after 30,000 mi the claim amunt is the purchase prices less $3000. Not bad.
However, you really need documentation. More repair attempts to fix this makes the Arbitrator very simpathic for the cause. I must caution that sometimes the dealer words the repair order in such a way as to be deceptive. You need to check the working of your issue at time the work order is written. Very Very Important.
Once the Arbitration Claim is submitted, MB should be all over you trying to resolve the issue. Don't wobble from the position of 'fix it or buy it back'.
Just my $ .02. Good Luck.