C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Remote start & a sweet tie!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55 AMG
Remote start & a sweet tie!

Gotta love V-Day! Will report back once I hook it up...
Attached Thumbnails Remote start & a sweet tie!-start1.jpg  
Old 02-14-2010, 12:43 AM

CLS
Awesome.

Great gifts.

I already have that tie but no remote start!
Old 02-14-2010, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG
Remote start? Where from?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:25 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
The wife picked up the remote start module from a local distributor for Mid City Engineering ( http://www.midcityengineering.com )

Installation was very straight forward (entitling the removal of the Comand unit and associated components), but getting to the harness behind the EIS (aka: the key cylinder) unit was a real pain in the you know what! The area you have to work within is super small n tight. Removing or pulling the EIS unit fwd would have made the job 10X easier, but to do so requires a special tool ($28 on ebay) that I didn't have. The rest was all plug-n-play, and just a matter of tucking the remote start module away. The whole process took about an hour and it works flawlessly. Lovin it!

Another cool feature with the Mid City unit is that it allows the integration with other alarms and remote start systems, such as the Viper Smart Start system...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw3bCMcgv3A
Old 02-24-2010, 10:58 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
After speaking with the good, and may I add very helpful, guys over at Mid City Engineering, I took the Viper SmartStart plunge! The install is pretty much all plug-n-play with the exception that you need to tap into a 12 volt power source for the module. Had it installed and setup in about 30minutes. Cool little gadget!
Attached Thumbnails Remote start & a sweet tie!-viper2.jpg   Remote start & a sweet tie!-viper1.jpg  
Old 02-25-2010, 03:19 AM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
Thats a sick gadget, what was the final price said and done?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:50 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
Not knowing the exact dollar amount on the Mid City unit, as it was a gift, I've heard they go for around $900 (uninstalled, over the counter). The Viper SmartStart module was $299 ($325 with tax) and I picked it up from a local Best Buy. So although I only ended up shelling out $325 for the SmartStart module, the entire setup would set you back roughly north of $1200 plus taxes, shipping and install.

It's a hell of a lot of $$$ to spend on a remote start system, but if you can actually utilize it (aside from the novelty aspect), it's well worth the $$$!
Old 02-25-2010, 01:49 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
Some useful info in case anyone was wondering. OEM key fob operations vs Viper's SmartStart app.

Remote Starting/Stopping...
From OEM key fob: 6-7 seconds
From app: 9-10 seconds

Locking, Unlocking and Trunk Release...
From OEM key fob: under 1 second
From the app: 2-3 seconds

Naturally, the time difference between the two operation is due to the fact that the key fob is transmitting the request, while the SmartStart app is using a wireless/cellular carrier to send the signal.

Distance...
OEM key fob: 100-150 feet
SmartStart app: unlimited (granted there's an available wireless/cellular signal)
Old 02-25-2010, 04:49 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
I almost forgot, and this is in regards to the Viper SmartStart app, although the module is easy to install and something a DIY'er can accomplish in a matter of minutes, just be certain you purchase the unit from an authorized retailer (like Best Buy) who can activate it!

The SmartStart module requires online activation (to become operable), and that section of the site is password protected. As a consumer you can not access the activation page to activate the unit.

The reason why I'm bringing this up is because I read some posts about others who purchased their SmartStart modules from unauthorized retailers and when they went to an authorized retailer (once again like Best Buy) to activate it, they were turned away, stating they would need to go back to where they purchased it to have it activated.

I know that sounds like a whole lot of BS, but it is what it is.

Don't let that happen to you! In my case I purchased mine from Best Buy, installed it myself, and then went back to best Buy to activate it. The techs in the car audio dept, took my info and had it activated and working in less then 10min.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:01 PM

Velvet Fleetwood
good info, worth every $$