C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Import Benz from U.S. to Canada

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 White on Tan CLS63 AMG
Import Benz from U.S. to Canada

Anybody bring a CLS from the U.S. to Canada. Is it worth it?
Does Mercedes Canada honour the waranty?
Does anyone know of a car broker that can do all of the paperwork for me?
It would be crossing the border in the Buffalo area.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:08 AM
A_B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes
Hey,
I haven't done it yet but might be doing it in April or May. From the people that I know that do it regularly they say definitely get a car broker to do all the paperwork it shouldn't cost more than $500. Here is a site with some good information: http://www.riv.ca/

Best bet is call MB Canada and ask them about the warranty.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
I just brought my CLS55 in from Chicago in January. I've imported several cars from the US( CTS V, Audi S6, now CLS55). You do not need to pay a broker. It's a waste of money to fill out 1 form. Couple of points to note for Mercedes Cars:

1. To import a Mercedes to Canada you need the admissability letter and recall clearance see:-> http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/index.cf...nguage=English

2. Warranty will only apply once the compliance inpection is completed, which means you have to pay 1500 + for a swap of the speedometer and $500 for the MB Canada Rep to certify it as compliant. Basically this is a 2K cash grab from MB.

3. If you do not want the warranty ( or the car is out of warranty) you only need to have the DRL's turned on by STAR coding. Dealer or indy shop should be able to do this for you. You do not need the compliance letter if you don't want/have warranty.

4. Follow the RIV process for importing
Coles notes version
-> Buy car( only after getting the admissability letter in step one)
-> Fax copy of title and lien release to US port of export 72 hours in advance of crossing
->Pickup car/get it to border
->Export on US side( basically a stamp- 10 mins and done)
->Import at Canadian side Where you fill out Form 1, and pay Duty(6.1%) and GST(5.0% on both duty and Red Book value)
-> Pay RIV fee and submit Recall Clearance and Admissability letters to RIV to get Form 2( Inspection Form)
->Take car to Canadian tire for federal inspection( after DRL's have been coded). They Stamp form 2 as clear
-> Register your car in your provicial MTO( where you need Safety, Emissions, and pay provincial taxes)

5. Enjoy your new Mercedes having saved $10 000+, or spend that on your stage 5 mods....

Pete
Old 03-02-2010, 04:29 AM

'10 C63 AMG | '10 Lexus RX350 | '10 E550C |'98 Lexus ES300 (Love this car)
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
I just brought my CLS55 in from Chicago in January. I've imported several cars from the US( CTS V, Audi S6, now CLS55). You do not need to pay a broker. It's a waste of money to fill out 1 form. Couple of points to note for Mercedes Cars:

1. To import a Mercedes to Canada you need the admissability letter and recall clearance see:-> http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/index.cf...nguage=English

2. Warranty will only apply once the compliance inpection is completed, which means you have to pay 1500 + for a swap of the speedometer and $500 for the MB Canada Rep to certify it as compliant. Basically this is a 2K cash grab from MB.

3. If you do not want the warranty ( or the car is out of warranty) you only need to have the DRL's turned on by STAR coding. Dealer or indy shop should be able to do this for you. You do not need the compliance letter if you don't want/have warranty.

Coles notes version
-> Fax copy of title and lien release to US port of export 72 hours in advance of crossing
->Import at Canadian side Where you fill out Form 1, and pay Duty(6.1%) and GST(5.0% on both duty and Red Book value)
-> Pay RIV fee and submit Recall Clearance and Admissability letters to RIV to get Form 2( Inspection Form)
->Take car to Canadian tire for federal inspection( after DRL's have been coded). They Stamp form 2 as clear
-> Register your car in your provicial MTO( where you need Safety, Emissions, and pay provincial taxes)

5. Enjoy your new Mercedes having saved $10 000+, or spend that on your stage 5 mods....

Pete

Is the CPO warranty valid in Canada? I'm looking for a CLS55 or CLS63 pre-owned but MB's warranty policy is scaring me off
Old 03-02-2010, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
No it's not. Only original factory warranty.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:38 PM

No it's not. Only original factory warranty.

Thanks! Is the CLS55 reliable enough without the CPO warranty?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
55K platform is pretty stout. As long as all the recalls and services have been performed you should be good. I am a fairly advanced wrench turner, and mod the hell out of my cars, so warranty is never really a deciding factor for me. There are always indy shops if you look around who charge a lot less then dealers if you can't do much yourself.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 CLS63-S
Can you tell me about luxury tax, gas guzzler tax....are those payable again to Cdn govt when bringing it across?

Coles notes version

Pete
Old 03-28-2010, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by NL007
Can you tell me about luxury tax, gas guzzler tax....are those payable again to Cdn govt when bringing it across?
no,only AC tax- $100
Old 04-01-2010, 09:47 PM

Acura TL

Coles notes version

Pete
I am also trying to import a CLS55 from Arizona into Ontario, and I have two questions:
1. Are you sure that if the car has no warranty left it does not need the compliance letter and I'll be 2K richer? I requested the admissibility letter for my 2006 CLS55 and they said they need to inspect it, etc for a minimum of $500.

2. You say "pay GST(5.0% on both duty and Red Book value)" - does it mean that if you bought it for $40,000 and the redbook value is $50,000 you pay GST on 50,000?

Thanks

Last edited by gogu; 04-01-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by gogu
I am also trying to import a CLS55 from Arizona into Ontario, and I have two questions:
1. Are you sure that if the car has no warranty left it does not need the compliance letter and I'll be 2K richer? I requested the admissibility letter for my 2006 CLS55 and they said they need to inspect it, etc for a minimum of $500.

2. You say "pay GST(5.0% on both duty and Red Book value)" - does it mean that if you bought it for $40,000 and the redbook value is $50,000 you pay GST on 50,000?

Thanks
1.100% sure as I just went through this in January. Despite what the admissibility letter says you do not need the compliance letter. The compliance letter is not needed for the RIV process, only for the MB warranty transfer. The inspection that CanadianTire does only really cares about DRL's and child seat anchors. All you need to do is get an MB dealer to code the DRL's to come on via the STAR, then take it to CT for the inspection. That's it.

2.Customs will look up red book value, then calculate 6.1% duty on. Then add Redbook Value+ Duty paid x %5.0 GST. I think my value for duty was $45000 or so.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:24 PM

E320 CDI
I know if you don't get the cluster modification done at Canada MB. You don't get Canada Warranty. However, if you take your car to US. Do they honour US warranty?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:26 PM

E320 CDI
You pay GST at the border and then you will pay the provincial part of the tax when you register the car and buy insurance. Am I correct?
Old 03-12-2011, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Looks like all 2500 06 CLS55s will soon be in Canada!
Old 03-12-2011, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haters crazy
As far as I know the gas guzzler tax only applies on 07+ models... it starts from $2000-4000 depending on how much gas your car guzzles. M5, E63, CLS63 etc would all pay $4000 "excise tax"

Sucks if your in BC, because you pay 12% tax, 6.1% duty plus the $4000 lol

Oh and dont lie to the border agencies about the price you pay, they are starting to tax people hard on that after some guy who declared a bentley he bought for $40,000 when actually value was $120,000 lol Thanks a lot moron!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...he-border.html
Old 06-27-2011, 06:39 PM

07' SLK 55 AMG, 08' CLS63AMG, 2010 ML350 BlueTec, Nissan Armada
Great summary below. One point of clarification however. When I called RIV, they do not require an Admissibility Letter, only a Recall Clearance (or they will accept a printout of the dealer MVI - Master Vehicle Information).

If one was to ignore the many warranty roadblocks Mercedes throws up, what is the purpose of the Admissions Letter?

Thanks!

Darren

Coles notes version

Pete
Old 07-13-2011, 08:42 AM

Based on the current MB Canada Pricing, it's not worth while to import a new or near-new vehicle from US. MB Canada dropped the CLS 63 price almost by 20k and is now in-line with the U.S. pricing.

On a side note, I'm surprised that Aston V8V price is quite similar in both US and Canada after taking into consideration of import cost and duties.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:04 AM

07' SLK 55 AMG, 08' CLS63AMG, 2010 ML350 BlueTec, Nissan Armada
I don't think this can be accepted as a blanket statement as it depends on the circumstances of new vs. pre-owned.

I've brought two vehicles across the border so far, saving between $10-$20K each time (both AMG's). I agree it depends on the make / model / year etc., as new vehicle pricing seems closer to the US than in the past. Unfortunately the availability and selection in Canada can be frustrating as well.

I hope MB is taking steps to address why Canadian prices are so much higher, instead of designing roadblocks and voiding warranties which only serves to annoy and alienate customers (yes I've written to them expressing my frustrations with $350 recall letters and the warranty games and restrictions etc.)

I am now looking into a GLK for my wife... ideally one or two years old or 'previously loved'. From what I see so far on dealer sites, I may be US bound once again.

The Canadian government is also clearly engaged in blocking the practice, with 6.1% duties, gas guzzler taxes (up to $3,000), and customs border agents who I think are specifically instructed to NOT provide any assistance or direction as to the process. Although for my last experience a little politeness won out and the border agent was quite nice (avoided the first one I dealt with as he was an ***, lol).

Sorry for the ranting, but the more I've learned about MB policy / practice as it applies to Canadians importing, vs. the other high-end European manufactures, the more frustrated I become. Maybe I'll check out the Q5?

Happy motoring to everyone!

Originally Posted by nickia
Based on the current MB Canada Pricing, it's not worth while to import a new or near-new vehicle from US. MB Canada dropped the CLS 63 price almost by 20k and is now in-line with the U.S. pricing.

On a side note, I'm surprised that Aston V8V price is quite similar in both US and Canada after taking into consideration of import cost and duties.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Halifax SLK
I don't think this can be accepted as a blanket statement as it depends on the circumstances of new vs. pre-owned.

I've brought two vehicles across the border so far, saving between $10-$20K each time (both AMG's). I agree it depends on the make / model / year etc., as new vehicle pricing seems closer to the US than in the past. Unfortunately the availability and selection in Canada can be frustrating as well.

I hope MB is taking steps to address why Canadian prices are so much higher, instead of designing roadblocks and voiding warranties which only serves to annoy and alienate customers (yes I've written to them expressing my frustrations with $350 recall letters and the warranty games and restrictions etc.)

I am now looking into a GLK for my wife... ideally one or two years old or 'previously loved'. From what I see so far on dealer sites, I may be US bound once again.

The Canadian government is also clearly engaged in blocking the practice, with 6.1% duties, gas guzzler taxes (up to $3,000), and customs border agents who I think are specifically instructed to NOT provide any assistance or direction as to the process. Although for my last experience a little politeness won out and the border agent was quite nice (avoided the first one I dealt with as he was an ***, lol).

Sorry for the ranting, but the more I've learned about MB policy / practice as it applies to Canadians importing, vs. the other high-end European manufactures, the more frustrated I become. Maybe I'll check out the Q5?

Happy motoring to everyone!
I agree. Pre-owned cars might be better deals. P-cars are also prime targets for importing.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
CLS55 AMG
i find that prices on CLS's in Canada and the US are pretty close. it's just that they are hard to come by in Vancouver. Two cars that I was interested in got sold rather quickly. One was a US import. I also find that the Canadian cars dont have as many options. not a single canadian CLS i looked at had a suede headliner. it's like the option wasnt offered or something... keyless go is also pretty rare... so for me it's worth while to import the car from the US. I'll probably end up paying the same price, having low or similar mileage and have all the options...
Old 06-19-2012, 03:00 PM

c300
mph speedometer

how is the mph speedometer situation addressed if you don't go through MB Canada? The speedometer in 2011 models cannot be modified by programming and MB Canada says the whole instrument panel needs to be replaced. RIV says CTC inspection will supply a label for the conversion but when I talk to CTC today they said they don't have such a label.

Tom

Coles notes version

Pete
Old 06-21-2012, 08:53 AM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
Hi!

Advice needed Please!

We wrote to MB Canada customer service last month to inquire about bringing in a 2012 ML350 Bluetec from the U.S. The following response was given:

"Please note that RIV has been updated regarding the admissibility of 2012 vehicles into Canada.
All 2012 Mercedes-Benz US models are admissible to import into Canada, with the exception of the ML Hybrid."

Sounded great so we started looking for the 2012. We spent over a month looking for the car and finally found one. Just before we wanted to get the letter of admissibility yesterday from MBC, we decided to check the Transport canada website for updates on MB's vehicle admissibility. The website showed that it was last updated on June 7, 2012. For MB's, we noticed that the ML's are now being listed seperately it has not been updated to include 2012... I don't recall the website specifying ML's last month..only the M class was referred to. So.....I don't want to waste $250 for the letter of admissibility if MBC says no but I'm pissed that I have the email from them saying it was okay to bring them in. What would you do? Any advice would be great! Thx!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:12 PM

c300
check this link http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...rs/0.0002.html

2012 ML350 Bluetec is admissible.

You no longer require a admissibility letter from MB Canada. The information I got from two Edmonton area dealers confirmed it.

They both quoted the same procedure with minor differences. They both require a Carfax and $500 to check with MB Canada and MB Canada will let them know what modifications need to be done to transfer warranty. Once you are OK with the estimate they will order the parts. After the work is done you pay for the shop charges and another $500 (they call that admin charge) for a field service guy to check the work done by the dealer to make sure the car qualifies for Canadian warranty. The differences from the two dealers are one requires a recall clearance with the first $500 and the same dealer says the maximum invoice he has seen was $3500. The other says it could be from $3500 - $7000 but the recall clearance is not required.

If you want to double check the admissibility you can always call or email RIV and they are very helpful.

As far as I understand US MB dealers will not sell you a new MB knowing that you are going to export it. How did you get around that?

Originally Posted by keman58
Hi!

Advice needed Please!

We wrote to MB Canada customer service last month to inquire about bringing in a 2012 ML350 Bluetec from the U.S. The following response was given:

"Please note that RIV has been updated regarding the admissibility of 2012 vehicles into Canada.
All 2012 Mercedes-Benz US models are admissible to import into Canada, with the exception of the ML Hybrid."

Sounded great so we started looking for the 2012. We spent over a month looking for the car and finally found one. Just before we wanted to get the letter of admissibility yesterday from MBC, we decided to check the Transport canada website for updates on MB's vehicle admissibility. The website showed that it was last updated on June 7, 2012. For MB's, we noticed that the ML's are now being listed seperately it has not been updated to include 2012... I don't recall the website specifying ML's last month..only the M class was referred to. So.....I don't want to waste $250 for the letter of admissibility if MBC says no but I'm pissed that I have the email from them saying it was okay to bring them in. What would you do? Any advice would be great! Thx!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:55 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
Didn't buy it from an MB Dealer however we could have if we wanted to...only one MB dealer said no to us....the rest were not concerned.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:56 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
Sorry... to clarify it was a pre-owned vehicle... 4000 Miles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Import Benz from U.S. to Canada