C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

UGLY orange lights above rear lisence plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG
UGLY orange lights above rear lisence plate

Ive seen people change these bulbs out with different bulbs. Where can i order the led lights? Also has anyone had any issues changing them out?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 s600 2007 cls63
its better to go with the LED module instead of just swapping out the light bulb since they burn out quickly. I did this swap on my W221 in about 5-10min. but on the CLS I spent about 1hr. and was unable to remove the original light module.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:46 PM

2008 CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by s600ed
its better to go with the LED module instead of just swapping out the light bulb since they burn out quickly. I did this swap on my W221 in about 5-10min. but on the CLS I spent about 1hr. and was unable to remove the original light module.
Do you know where i can get the led module?
Old 03-24-2010, 12:01 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
Originally for Xmas, my GF got me a set of OEM type enclosed / housing style LED's (off eBay) but after finding out exactly how involved it was to install them (pulling off the chrome strip in particular), I opted to exchange them for a set of replacement bulb type LED's that simply drop in place of the OEM bulbs.

Now when I got the replacements in, even though they were advertised as the kind that do not set off any codes (aka resistored), they not only set off the "bulb out" code on the dash, but they would flicker on and off randomly. The supplier didn't believe me at first, and thought I had done something wrong in the install... Yep, its hard to push in a light bulb. So I took a video of what was going on, and sent it to him.

After seeing the video, he responds.... Ohhhh, I must have received a set that were from a batch that did not contain the built-in resistors.

So when I heard that, I knew what had to be done... To fix the problem, I ended up wiring a $1 radio shack resistor between the power leads to each light housing and it solved the problem. No flickering, no dash codes.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:08 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by dacls63amg
Do you know where i can get the led module?
There all over eBay... but seriously consider what we're saying here! You MUST remove the chrome strip that's on the trunk lid in order to pull out the housing. That strip is held in by not double stick tape but also a serious of little clips. A real PITA to remove!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:23 AM

2008 CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by DucatiGuy
There all over eBay... but seriously consider what we're saying here! You MUST remove the chrome strip that's on the trunk lid in order to pull out the housing. That strip is held in by not double stick tape but also a serious of little clips. A real PITA to remove!
Oh man im not sure I want to deal with changing out the module. It sounds like a true pain lol. I guess il just get the bulbs and resistors. Do you have any pics of the new bulbs installed?
Thanks for the help!
Old 03-24-2010, 01:54 AM

2007 s600 2007 cls63
got my from a member/vendor here (jbspeed?), so I guess you HAVE to remove that chrome strip?? Its almost impossible to do since you risk damage to your paint or snapping that chrome strip if you applied too much pressure/or you could easily break one of the tabs. I said no thanks at that point and put everything back (was hoping someone figured out another way to do this without removing that chrome strip but guess no luck)
Old 03-24-2010, 03:23 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
Unfortunately, there's no possible way to remove the OEM plate light housing / module without removing the chrome strip. I looked at every angle, and even tried to get to it from the inside of the trunk lid, but there's just no way. The strip has to come off.

From what I've heard, many have done exactly what you've stated, in that they have bent, cracked or damaged the strip trying to remove it. When I tried to remove it, I was using a heat gun and still wasn't getting anywhere. I left it alone, and buttoned everything back up and went with the drop in light route. Not worth the risk, unless you have a spare strip ready as a replacement.

Here's a pic I just ran out and took. It's not the best, but I think it'll give you a good idea of how bright and clear the LED's look vs the OEM bulbs...

It's definitely an underrated mod, in that its cheap, easy to do, and the end results are quite stunning! Best $30 I ever spent, or should I say received as a gift...
Old 03-24-2010, 03:33 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
PS: FYI... They make a 3 LED and 6 LED version for this application. I have the 6 LED board which is naturally brighter than the 3 LED.

Here are two examples of what they look like.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:20 AM

CLS55 AMG
Got mine from www.tunerdomes.com for my CLS and my friends M5. Worked great, and is bright. $13 (hmm, re-checked the web, that was per bulb, I guess he raised his prices :-/)

I didn't have to take my strip off and it took about 15 min. I used a 6-inch socket wrench with phillips tip for leverage. I wiggled out the lens cap with a mini flathead. Easy.

Last edited by BlackCard; 03-24-2010 at 07:28 AM. Reason: pricing
Old 03-24-2010, 10:43 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by BlackCard
I didn't have to take my strip off and it took about 15 min. I used a 6-inch socket wrench with phillips tip for leverage. I wiggled out the lens cap with a mini flathead. Easy.
You don't have to remove the strip to change just the bulbs. The strip only has to come off if you plan on swapping the entire bulb housing...
Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 PM

CLS55
I got mine from http://store.ijdmtoy.com/
super bright, no error, full canbus replacement.
I can post pics if needed. - the install is kinda tricky with the full canbus.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:32 PM

2007 s600 2007 cls63
I can post pics if needed. - the install is kinda tricky with the full canbus.
Oh please do post pics!!!!! would definitely like to see how the oem module was removed without removing that outer chrome strip....
Old 03-31-2010, 09:53 PM

CLS55
Originally Posted by s600ed
Oh please do post pics!!!!! would definitely like to see how the oem module was removed without removing that outer chrome strip....
Just like DucatiGuy said, there is no way of removing the whole light assembly without removing that chrome strip, I also tried everything. Although, Me being a master with a Dremel, made room by grinding away some of that material off of that strip surrounding the lights. I made enough room so that they popped right out and the new ones popped right in. If you're good with a Dremel or similar tool, you wont even notice it.

But you will have to remove all the lining inside your trunk lid, which i have done like 6 times trying to figure out how to get that chrome strip off, so its not that bad.

I will post pics tonight.

Last edited by RRnelcheeze; 03-31-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:28 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
RRnelcheeze

You know, the thought of whipping out the mighty dremel did come to mind several times when I was looking for a way around removing the strip, but when push came to shove, I just didn't feel like slaving over it... You my friend must have nerves of steel for performing the delicate surgery you did...
Old 04-01-2010, 05:06 PM

CLS55
Originally Posted by DucatiGuy
RRnelcheeze

You know, the thought of whipping out the mighty dremel did come to mind several times when I was looking for a way around removing the strip, but when push came to shove, I just didn't feel like slaving over it... You my friend must have nerves of steel for performing the delicate surgery you did...
Yeah, after removing the trunk liner like 5 times and trying to figure out how to remove that chrome strip, and finding out that the chrome strip is actually ABS, I masked everything that could possibly scratch or damage and grind-ed away. sorry havent posted pics, will do so soon.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:35 AM

CLS55
Originally Posted by RRnelcheeze
Yeah, after removing the trunk liner like 5 times and trying to figure out how to remove that chrome strip, and finding out that the chrome strip is actually ABS, I masked everything that could possibly scratch or damage and grind-ed away. sorry havent posted pics, will do so soon.
Pics, sorry shes kinda dirty. still gotta sand the edges and color match it.