C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

LED licence plate lights installation help needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls55
LED licence plate lights installation help needed

Ive got myself some racing dash led licence plate lights and had a go at installing them but i couldnt get the chrome trim off on the bootlid as in step 3 on the following link....

http://www.rdash.com.tw/product_doc/...stallation.jpg

Is there a tool needed to remove it as i dont want to be damaging anything. Apart from that ive got everything else removed.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:23 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
No special tools required. You basically just have to yank / pry the chrome trim off, BUT as from many whom have attempted it, it's not as easy as it sounds. From the posts that I have read, some of damaged the trim, or even the trunk lid trying to pull it off.

Others have found ways to work around it by dremeling the bottom out, so you don't have to remove it. More on that and this subject can be found here...

https://mbworld.org/forums/cls55-amg...nce-plate.html

In all honesty, the drop in OEM bulb type LED's are the easiest to install! No hassle, no problems, and take just a matter of minutes.

Here's what they look like...

Old 04-18-2010, 07:02 PM

cls55
Thanks for the helpfull post. I might try to make the hole slightly bigger so the original ones just come out. I need to know how are the original units are attached? Is it just the plug holding them in and will the new led units be secure once the hole gets bigger?
Old 04-18-2010, 09:14 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
The hole you're enlarging is NOT the area where the LED unit mounts up to the trunk lid, but rather the bottom section of the trim / molding that the LED's shine through.

To get the LED housing to pull down and out (through the trim opening you will enlarge with a dremel tool), you need to free them from the inside of the trunk lid. To do so, you need to pull the lining / cover off from the inside of the trunk lid. You will then have easy access to the units and the harness.

To understand how they stay put or retained, just look at the aftermarket ones. You'll see the clips that keep them in place.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:28 AM

I did this a while back. The OBC error was annoying, and when the LED started to flicker, I took it out.

Subscribing for the error fix.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:28 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
The fix is actually quite easy!

If you didn't purchase a "resistered" unit aka error free LED, all you need to do is wire in an LED resistor between the power leads at each housing. It will cure the error messages as well as the flickering.

These resistors are also known as load equalizers and can be found almost everywhere automotive and motorcycle lighting is sold. You can also find them online through Google or eBay.

LED resistor / load equalizer kits sell for anywhere from $5-$20, depending on their size, application, and intended use. You can also create your own for under $5 by picking up the individual part(s) (basically just a resistor) if you're handy enough to work with an OHM / Volt meter...

Putting those license plate LED's on is a major PITA!!!! Don't let that time go to waste! The resistor fix is, cheap, easy and it works!

Last edited by DucatiGuy; 04-19-2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:35 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
To help you get the ball rolling...

Attached is a picture of a typical automotive application LED resistor / load equalizer set. They come in many different colors, sizes and styles, but they all do the same thing...

Found these on eBay for $7 shipped!
Attached Thumbnails LED licence plate lights installation help needed-resistor4.jpg  
Old 10-03-2010, 04:41 AM

RDASH LED License Lamps problems...

Dear sir,

I bought a pair of those "Error Free" complete units from RDASH and its still giving me the same problem affecting the OBC and left side is always flickering. They changed a new set for me but the problem still re-surface. What do you suggest I so do?

Thanks...Biily
Attached Thumbnails LED licence plate lights installation help needed-photo1.jpg  
Old 10-03-2010, 07:46 PM

cls55
Funny you say that because mine have just started doing the exact same thing aswell and its only the one side not working at times and working when it wants to.

Originally Posted by BeBeBenz
Dear sir,

I bought a pair of those "Error Free" complete units from RDASH and its still giving me the same problem affecting the OBC and left side is always flickering. They changed a new set for me but the problem still re-surface. What do you suggest I so do?

Thanks...Biily
Old 10-04-2010, 12:29 AM

CLS55
this is the part you need to shave down to make space for the led unit.