Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser- First Test Fit Pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser- First Test Fit Pics

Preliminary test fit pics. This was just held in place with a little mounting tape, but no screws so the ends are not mounted flush. Looks pretty good so far. Thoughts?

Old 05-02-2010, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flying Spur
Where can I get one and how much? looks good
Old 05-03-2010, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.ca/BENZ-W219-CLS55-C...item27b10c980b
Old 05-03-2010, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
Nice!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG
Im kinda diggin it! Gives the cls a much more aggressive look. Im just afraid of drilling holes into the bumper.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
looks great, just like the w211 one's....all you need to do is push out the exhaust tips/exhaust some more....
Old 05-03-2010, 02:05 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
Just some questions if you don't mind...

How well do the edges / corners meet and line up with the OEM bumper? Any gaps or out of level areas? The top edge and corners specifically.

I assume you will have to use a combination of double stick tape and some screws or rivets to hold it in place. If this is the case, have you had any problems thus far in keeping it flush against the bumper? Any problem areas to note?

Is it resting on the tips because you don't have it in place, or is that the way its actually going to stay? Just trying to judge if the tip area is going to be a potential concern for some clear coat discoloration and or cracking down the road.

If it sits and fits as good as it looks, it might just be worth the sub $400 (shipped) price they're selling them for.

I was actually going to place an order for the standard CF rear diffuser they have advertised here on the forum for $200 shipped, but then I saw this and was like, now that's cool!

Looks wise, hands down its worth the extra $230 over the standard CF diffuser, but if it doesn't fit and sit right, I wouldn't pay $50 for it...

Please keep us informed with your install progress, tips, and suggestions. Oh and some more pics from all angles would be great!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
NSX, CLS63 AMG (030), CBR600.
Originally Posted by DucatiGuy

How well do the edges / corners meet and line up with the OEM bumper? Any gaps or out of level areas? The top edge and corners specifically.

I assume you will have to use a combination of double stick tape and some screws or rivets to hold it in place. If this is the case, have you had any problems thus far in keeping it flush against the bumper? Any problem areas to note?

Is it resting on the tips because you don't have it in place, or is that the way its actually going to stay? Just trying to judge if the tip area is going to be a potential concern for some clear coat discoloration and or cracking down the road.

If it sits and fits as good as it looks, it might just be worth the sub $400 (shipped) price they're selling them for.

I was actually going to place an order for the standard CF rear diffuser they have advertised here on the forum for $200 shipped, but then I saw this and was like, now that's cool!

Looks wise, hands down its worth the extra $230 over the standard CF diffuser, but if it doesn't fit and sit right, I wouldn't pay $50 for it...

Please keep us informed with your install progress, tips, and suggestions. Oh and some more pics from all angles would be great!
+1 I'm really intersted on the exhaust tips too. Is there a way to psh them farther out and away from the diffuser edge?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Responses in the Bold

Originally Posted by DucatiGuy

The peice is fairly rigid, so without being properly mounted it looks like the ends are not flush with the bumper in the pictures. If I press the ends up it lines right up with the bumper, so I beleive that once correctly mounted, It will be fine

I am going to use some 1/2" x 1" body mount screws mounted from behind the OEM rear valance in the middle, along with 3m mounting tape and some plastic cement. On the ends I am going to use some more tape, glue and some round head screws into some threaded retaining clips I will mount on the rear valance. I'll Take Pics of the install and what I use.

Correct, it' sonly resting that way do to not being mounted correctly. The ends have to come up more then an inch

Won't be able to finish the install until friday, but will definately let you know the what the final product looks like. So far I think it will be great. The only thing is that the exhaust tips may need to come out a bit now, but looks wise it's killer.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Responses in the Bold
THANKS!!! Look forward to pics when you're done
Old 05-03-2010, 10:06 AM

BTW Did you know they are using your pic for the ebay ad?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Yep, I sent them one so the could add it. They gave me a break on shipping.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:53 PM

CLS55AMG
VERY NICE

I am curious if there are any bottom interior supports or tie downs. At high speeds would the bottom piece '"capture" air and blow off?
I like the look.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:12 PM

Looks really promising so far. Seems like there is alot of interest on this board to buy it if this install works out. Might be worth seeing if the seller wants to give a group discount.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
cant wait to see it when its installed properly.
im still on the fence about ordering this.
thanks for being the guinea pig for us!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by bogota
I am curious if there are any bottom interior supports or tie downs. At high speeds would the bottom piece '"capture" air and blow off?
I like the look.

It mounts flush agains the bottom of the stock valance. It's not just a flat cover. There is no opening for the air to catch as it is completely against the body of the car. The backside of the peice is 3d contoured to fit the stock valance curves. Tough to describe. I'll try to take another picture later.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by nJuDunno
Looks really promising so far. Seems like there is alot of interest on this board to buy it if this install works out. Might be worth seeing if the seller wants to give a group discount.

I'll ask him. I has been very helpful and asked me to help market them. I am sure I can convince them to put a deal together.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:12 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
Good stuff! Thanks for the informative reply. Looking fwd to the final pics. I may have to get one of these as well...
Old 05-05-2010, 12:53 AM

CLS 63 AMG '07 / A 160 '06
Looks fab, can't wait to see the final pics. If the exhaust tipss need to come out a bit, is this a diy job or would itneed yo be done by a dealer / professional?
Old 05-05-2010, 07:23 PM

Cls63 AMG
Thanks for the information sharing . The diffuser looks simply awesome! Now, I think Im in love with that thing. BTW, which part of the rear bumper exactly is a drilling needed? Because it may hold me back from it if some drlling holes will stay there once this diffuser is taken off for a replacement in the future.
Once again, awesome pics and please show us the finished pics when it is done.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Not Sure just yet, but will probably only need 3 drill holes across the middle behind the fins. This is not a big deal because if you decide to remove it, you can probably just buy a replacement filler panel to cover it. It'll probably need 3 more down below which are out of sight and 2 on the ends, but won't know for sure till I get at it on Friday or Sat.