Alternator Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS500 with 55 AMG motor, 2008 Infiniti G35, 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager
Alternator Question

Hi guys. My alternator stopped working yesterday, and I'm going to have it replaced this week. I was told that the alternator on the CLS55 is more powerful than the one on the 500, and it cost twice as much. They share the same voltage regulator, and pulley. Do you guys think that it will fit on the 500? I would hate to buy it and then be stuck with it, but I could use the a more efficient charge.

Can anyone take a pic of their alternator and post it here. I can probably compare it to mine that way.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
ciao !

I made a search some time ago because I entered into a project for a special battery and found
- cls55 Alt is 180 Ampere and pn is 0131548502

as you see below, unfortunately it doesn't appear in the Bosch cat.

in any case, seems that other CLS, except with 113 engine, also have a 180 A alt.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 08-28-2010, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow! That's very interesting. The cls 55 alternator cost $1100 us, and the 500 alternator cost $650.

I wonder why?

My tech at Mercedes told me that the one on the 55 keeps 14v.

Originally Posted by dyno
ciao !

I made a search some time ago because I entered into a project for a special battery and found
- cls55 Alt is 180 Ampere and pn is 0131548502

as you see below, unfortunately it doesn't appear in the Bosch cat.

in any case, seems that other CLS, except with 113 engine, also have a 180 A alt.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Old 08-28-2010, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the pn for CLS55 ALT in your p.list is the old pn that 's been replaced by the number I wrote above. in any case it also was 180A, 14V.

if your engine is a 272/273 it should have a 180 A alt.
that's the most important figure.

about 14 Volt, all regulators are set for keeping voltage constant to 14V ...
because for the battery to be charged is necessary an higher voltage.
if you look the pic below for CLS55 you see that the regulator (#30) is the same pn as in your p. list

afaik, fittings for cls55 alt are different than for cls 500.

ps: on the net you should find at half those prices ..
Old 08-28-2010, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

here you have them all

Old 08-28-2010, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Dyno for the useful info

I will call a custom high output alternator manufacturer on Monday to see if can get one for the CLS. If not I'll just buy the one for the 500. I'm still very curious to know why the 500 and 55 alternator's are different in price when they seem to do the same thing
Old 08-28-2010, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by khelawanb
Thanks Dyno for the useful info

I will call a custom high output alternator manufacturer on Monday to see if can get one for the CLS. If not I'll just buy the one for the 500. I'm still very curious to know why the 500 and 55 alternator's are different in price when they seem to do the same thing

yes, I get your point.
further, seems it could be possible to just swap the front half-cover ...

but, per what I see from suppliers here, the price for 180 A is quite the same. so, just make sure the part# in that price list is really for a 180A.

btw, I am interested in the Alt upgrade point: why are you wanting to upgrade it, did you have problems when running your audio in the night ?
and what battery do you have?

in any case, a bigger alt means the engine will always be working for feeding him .. that's a lot power leak

you are not going to do somethin glike this, right ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yti-G...1&feature=fvwp
Old 08-30-2010, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Dyno. I contacted this company :
http://www.ohiogen.com/index.html
I will be sending them an alternator tomorrow to be rebuilt. Should be 200 A or higher when they are finished. I was having some trouble keeping 2 batteries charged in my car ( OEM Battery + Gel power cell deep cycle audio battery ). I have 4 digital amps in my car now and they should be happy with the new juice

yes, I get your point.
further, seems it could be possible to just swap the front half-cover ...

but, per what I see from suppliers here, the price for 180 A is quite the same. so, just make sure the part# in that price list is really for a 180A.

btw, I am interested in the Alt upgrade point: why are you wanting to upgrade it, did you have problems when running your audio in the night ?
and what battery do you have?

in any case, a bigger alt means the engine will always be working for feeding him .. that's a lot power leak

you are not going to do somethin glike this, right ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yti-G...1&feature=fvwp
Old 08-30-2010, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Dyno. I contacted this company :
http://www.ohiogen.com/index.html
I will be sending them an alternator tomorrow to be rebuilt. Should be 200 A or higher when they are finished. I was having some trouble keeping 2 batteries charged in my car ( OEM Battery + Gel power cell deep cycle audio battery ). I have 4 digital amps in my car now and they should be happy with the new juice

yes, we should always remember that all our amplifiers, for as big as they could be, can only amplify the current we feed them with ...

as there's been a lot of spectators on this thread, I attach this MUST see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv66s...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5MP5F-uJAw&NR=1

I've heard of Ohiogen, and I know there's at least one more company who makes crazy things out there

just remember that our cars are very specific and she could not like anything not from homeland . you know, our electronics sense everything you change from stock ..
I would only send them the whole car, not just the Alt, and take it back only if no faulty errors come out ..

2 different type of batteries is not very good because each one messes the other ..
I would guess that you should be ok with a 200Ah battery and a 180A Alternator to feed your audio worth maybe a maximum of 3-4000Watts
in any case, you can also find 200 and 220Ampere alternator from stock MB car and commercial vehicles, if you need.

or, if you really have still more amp to feed, then maybe better to consider fitting a additional Alt + specific battery, to be used ONLY to feed the audio system, thus separated from the stock power system.

Last edited by dyno; 08-30-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Dyno, wheels are in motion and I should have this alternator next week. I'll let you know what happens next week when we install it. My tech at the dealer says that it should not trigger any codes, and that the car will be happy. Fingers crossed

yes, we should always remember that all our amplifiers, for as big as they could be, can only amplify the current we feed them with ...

as there's been a lot of spectators on this thread, I attach this MUST see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv66s...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5MP5F-uJAw&NR=1

I've heard of Ohiogen, and I know there's at least one more company who makes crazy things out there

just remember that our cars are very specific and she could not like anything not from homeland . you know, our electronics sense everything you change from stock ..
I would only send them the whole car, not just the Alt, and take it back only if no faulty errors come out ..

2 different type of batteries is not very good because each one messes the other ..
I would guess that you should be ok with a 200Ah battery and a 180A Alternator to feed your audio worth maybe a maximum of 3-4000Watts
in any case, you can also find 200 and 220Ampere alternator from stock MB car and commercial vehicles, if you need.

or, if you really have still more amp to feed, then maybe better to consider fitting a additional Alt + specific battery, to be used ONLY to feed the audio system, thus separated from the stock power system.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Dyno, wheels are in motion and I should have this alternator next week. I'll let you know what happens next week when we install it. My tech at the dealer says that it should not trigger any codes, and that the car will be happy. Fingers crossed
if you are assisted by the dealers Tech then you are lucky enough

just guessing : are those guys going to tune your alt by swapping a smaller pulley ?
.. that helps at getting more amps where they are usually more needed, i.e. at idle and low rpms
Old 08-31-2010, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

if you are assisted by the dealers Tech then you are lucky enough

just guessing : are those guys going to tune your alt by swapping a smaller pulley ?
.. that helps at getting more amps where they are usually more needed, i.e. at idle and low rpms
That's a great idea! I'll check into that. I liked the videos as well. I have the XS power battery that they recommended at the end.