Alternator upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS500 with 55 AMG motor, 2008 Infiniti G35, 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager
Alternator upgrade

I recently sent my alternator out to Ohio Generator for an upgrade. They took the stock 150A alternator from a CLS500 and turned it into a 234A alternator.

They even took the time to repaint the unit. Service from them cost $300 to $400 depending on customer needs. This is worth it since a new OEM alternator is $700.

I have this alternator which was taken off of my AMG motor. It's a good candidate for those in need of more amps. I'll sell it for $100 plus shipping if anyone wants it for the purpose of upgrading. It's in a box and ready to ship.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 black opal
Curious...did you notice any power problems on the stock alternator is was the preventative maintenance?

Also how many watts is your system set up at and how high did you start to notice (if any) any power fluctuations?

I've been lazy and haven't installed stuff into my own car. Just sitting in piles in the corner waiting to be put in . I was hoping to get away with just a second battery instead of having to do any alternator upgrade. Curious as to what you've done.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS500 with 55 AMG motor, 2008 Infiniti G35, 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager
I have a 3000 watt system. I'm running 4 amps. 1 amp per sub ( two 10's) , and two 4 channel amps running 4 sets of components ( 8 speakers and tweeters).
I started experiencing dimming lights and hot amps which were clipping. I added a second battery. Problem still existed and got worse. I found out that my amps were drawing power from the batteries which my alternator could not give back fast enough.

I got rid of the OEM battery and added two XS deep cycle batteries, plus the Alternator. All problems are gone. Amps also run much cooler, and the system is even louder since my amps are able to deliver power under recomended operating conditions.

This is a video that I made after driving my car. The car is off, and I noticed that I no longer experienced the dimming of my interior lights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ0tZ...e_gdata_player
Originally Posted by azncarjunkie
Curious...did you notice any power problems on the stock alternator is was the preventative maintenance?

Also how many watts is your system set up at and how high did you start to notice (if any) any power fluctuations?

I've been lazy and haven't installed stuff into my own car. Just sitting in piles in the corner waiting to be put in . I was hoping to get away with just a second battery instead of having to do any alternator upgrade. Curious as to what you've done.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 black opal
hmm, looks like I'll probably need to go that route eventually too. Was going to run two sears platinum (rebranded odyssey) batteries.

Did you use much sound-dampening? Curious as to what rattle-areas to expect.