Quaife QDF9V installed (pics and vid)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS500 with 55 AMG motor, 2008 Infiniti G35, 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager
Quaife QDF9V installed (pics and vid)

My LSD is finally installed and it works great. Install took hours, but it was well worth it. Took a few pics and a video.
Wanted to share this with everyone. I am very happy with this product

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssTGo...e_gdata_player

Last edited by khelawanb; 04-17-2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,143 Likes on 599 Posts
2023 E63S Wagon
I love the last pic
Old 04-16-2011, 05:32 PM

03 CL500 amg package/08 Audi S6/07 Range Rover Sport/06 cls55/09 c63
last pic is great!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks guys, and thanks again Money-one
Old 04-16-2011, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Very nice! Mine just showed up today, can't wait to lay some rubber myself
Old 04-16-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Qx56 , cls55
What does the LSD do?
Old 04-17-2011, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Temple30
What does the LSD do?

The QUAIFE ATB differential is designed to prevent the complete loss of drive that occurs with a conventional differential when one wheel slips. Whilst requiring some torque in the slipping wheel, the QUAIFE unit is progressive in action but never locks – controlled power is transmitted to all the driving wheels. Ideally suited to high powered front wheel drive systems, QUAIFE ATB differentials are also used in rear and four wheel drive vehicles where optimum traction is required. Installation is identical to the normal differential with bearing pre-loads and pinion mesh being restored to the original manufacturers’ settings. Servicing of the unit is simple as all gear pinions are free fitting and normal final drive lubrication oils are retained.

As a direct replacement for the standard, factory ‘open’ differential, QUAIFE’s ATB Helical LSD unit can transform the performance of your car. Unlike a conventional plate-style limited slip unit, QUAIFE’s ATB Helical LSD unit relies on gears, rather than clutch plates for its operation.
That means it is*much smoother in operation, because unlike a conventional plate-style LSD, it never locks harshly with a set pre-load of wheel slip across the driven axle. Rather, it automatically biases the torque away from the spinning wheel across the axle, to a constantly varying degree and never locks.
To the driver (especially of a front-wheel drive car) the results are significant performance improvements;- superior, controllable traction without the harsh steering wheel ****** or torque steer that have long been associated with performance differentials. These traction benefits can also be utilised in rear wheel drive vehicles, while QUAIFE ATB Helical LSD units offer significant traction advantages fitted to the front of four wheel drive cars.
Reliability is total; the ATB Helical LSD units are designed using the latest CAD techniques and are CNC machined to ultra-tight tolerances from the very best CORUS steel billets. The completed units are then subject to rigorous in-house inspection on a tri-coordinate measuring machine before being dispatched to the customer.
Such quality means that unlike a conventional plate-style LSD the QUAIFE ATB Helical LSD unit requires no special maintenance or rebuilds, long lasting and it retains the standard method of lubrication, making for an easy, pain-free upgrade.
Proven in rallying, racing and on the road, the ATB Helical LSD differential offers safe, reliable,winning performance– everything you would expect from a QUAIFE product.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
have fun, Brent

so, from the description
Originally Posted by khelawanb
... Whilst requiring some torque in the slipping wheel, the QUAIFE unit ...
means that when just one wheel is contacting the tarmac, the car will not move.
unfortunately, this is the biggest limit it still carries, like any other traditional Lsd's

Last edited by dyno; 04-17-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dyno
have fun, Brent

so, from the description

unfortunately, this is the biggest limit it still carries, like any other traditional Lsd's
Hi Dyno.

After installing the new motor the rear end in my car would sway to the right after stomping on the pedal. Now, traction is easily achieved with both wheels gripping and putting down power to the ground. Much better take off now.

I almost hit a car that was next to me once while taking off from a red light in traffic. The rear end shifted over and I had to let off the throttle and ease into it. To much time lost there. I love this mod
Old 04-17-2011, 01:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
@DYNO "
I thought that it would be the opposite being that it gives power to the wheel that is not spinning.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Good stuff! I installed the quaife diff a while ago and it's awesome! No more spinning of one wheel by itself...
Old 04-17-2011, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Roverron
@DYNO "

I thought that it would be the opposite being that it gives power to the wheel that is not spinning.
I think Dyno was talking about the stock diff. I can feel the difference, and see it

Can't wait to see yours installed rev
Old 04-17-2011, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Did you install new bearings and races or just new axle seals?
Old 04-17-2011, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Did you install new bearings and races or just new axle seals?
Just new axel seals
Old 04-17-2011, 06:27 PM

ML63
You and me both waiting for call and all the info.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
any shimming needed? im waiting for a wavetrac to be built for the slk32 and thought about a self install. my worry is gear whine and the ability to shim if needed
Old 04-17-2011, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Dyno.

I almost hit a car that was next to me once while taking off from a red light in traffic. The rear end shifted over and I had to let off the throttle and ease into it. To much time lost there. I love this mod
yeah .. that's quite common if you aren't perfectly straight-aligned !
... nonetheless, love that behaviour
Old 04-17-2011, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

@DYNO "

I think the summary specs reported by Brent is official from quaife ..

so, its true that power is tranferred to the non-spinning wheel
BUT for that effect to take place it requires a minimum of contact (or Torque) from the spinning wheel to couple with the non-spinning wheel. if zero contact, then zero torque and hence, zero power transfer. (this is obviously not the case when spinning on dry or even wet asphalt).
its just the way these so called "torque driven" Lsd work, in contrast for example, to "speed driven" (or Viscous) Lsd where the necessary initial input torque is provided by mean of the pressure being built by a fluid medium, as an effect of the spinning movement. .. but they also have other kinds of cons.

some time ago i found a patent (by M. Peralta, US 6402656) for an Lsd differential with a design very similar to the Quaife one, with all those meshing "worm" gears, except that it allowed for coupling of the non-spinning wheel even under zero torque condition. .. maybe it was too complicate/expensive because I've never found anything like that in practice.

or, maybe, because the combination of electronics and mechanics opened up a rally new frontier : just think at Ferrari's E-Diff ...

Last edited by dyno; 04-17-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:20 PM

ML63
OK... But would the esp help provide some pressure to the spinning wheel to give it torque? I'm asking these questions not debating you.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E550 Cab & 2011 GL 550 & 09 VROD Muscle & 06 Seadoo Speedster LE .......
would it work with the 500 as well
Old 04-18-2011, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK... But would the esp help provide some pressure to the spinning wheel to give it torque? I'm asking these questions not debating you.
I also was wondering if and to what extent our electronics can proactively work with the differnetial ..

but, just consider that "pressure build up" tipical of viscous differentials is something different and much higher, that can be achieved only by using a specific type of meshing gears who build a positive pressure working like an hydraulic pump .. something like ... our "screw" supercharger

further they are filled with a specific high-density oil (afaik, with a high content of silicone) ... who causes power loss and, whats worst, it degradates with use (4WD vehicles fitted with a central diff of that type tend to show a 2WD behaviour when they have a lot of miles on them ...)

this is just theory .. we should ask Khelawanb to try testing (my Quaife was taking dust and i sold it a pair of weeks ago) .. putting the back of his car in a position where one driving wheel is completely lifted form ground and see what happens .... (***)

.. Brent, should you find yourself in trouble, don't worry, just call/pm me and I'll tell you a trick that should help exiting from there ..

(***) edit ... you Roverron could also try that .. maybe our electronic is already set to help in that case, even with just the stock diff !

Last edited by dyno; 04-18-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hmmm. I will need to plan this little test when I get back from your country Dyno. Ive seen one CDI CLS so far.

I also was wondering if and to what extent our electronics can proactively work with the differnetial ..

but, just consider that "pressure build up" tipical of viscous differentials is something different and much higher, that can be achieved only by using a specific type of meshing gears who build a positive pressure working like an hydraulic pump .. something like ... our "screw" supercharger

further they are filled with a specific high-density oil (afaik, with a high content of silicone) ... who causes power loss and, whats worst, it degradates with use (4WD vehicles fitted with a central diff of that type tend to show a 2WD behaviour when they have a lot of miles on them ...)

this is just theory .. we should ask Khelawanb to try testing (my Quaife was taking dust and i sold it a pair of weeks ago) .. putting the back of his car in a position where one driving wheel is completely lifted form ground and see what happens .... (***)

.. Brent, should you find yourself in trouble, don't worry, just call/pm me and I'll tell you a trick that should help exiting from there ..

(***) edit ... you Roverron could also try that .. maybe our electronic is already set to help in that case, even with just the stock diff !
Old 04-21-2011, 05:52 AM

ML63
You are supposed to be relaxing with the family. Not checking the forums.. I am get'n the pennies lined up and awaiting your call. LOL
Old 04-21-2011, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hmmm. I will need to plan this little test when I get back from your country Dyno. Ive seen one CDI CLS so far.
if it was CDI badged then its something rare ..
usually they are no label when not amg badged

that's what happen when 2.3 $ is not enough for 1 liter gas

what are you waitin uploading a few nice pics ...
Old 04-24-2011, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

if it was CDI badged then its something rare ..
usually they are no label when not amg badged

that's what happen when 2.3 $ is not enough for 1 liter gas

what are you waitin uploading a few nice pics ...

Your country is beautiful. Can't believe I'm standing where gladiators fought.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Quaife QDF9V installed (pics and vid)