C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

TRANSMISSION FLUID

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 55 AMG
Smile TRANSMISSION FLUID

According to MB owners manual you can't add transmission fluid. Recently i bought (LUCAS transmission conditioner) However a discover afterwards that can't add any fluids. Is anyone come accross this? I see a kind dipstick at the top of the engine in the middle towards the back.

Thank you
Old 04-25-2011, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55 AMG
Although MB states the 722.6 series tranny's (whats in your car) is a "sealed system" it can and should be serviced regularly just like any other normal transmission.

To be quite honest, I wouldn't add any sort of conditioner into the transmission. If you're worried about your transmission or experiencing any tell-tale signs that it may be going bad, simply have the fluid flushed and replaced along with the filter.

I know spending $5-$8 on a bottle of fluid conditioner sounds better then shelling out $100-$125 (fluid and filter) for a tranny service, but in the long run you're better off. I should also note, there's a specific tranny fluid that MB recommends for the 722.6 units. I've heard failure to use this fluid could lead to the premature wear of your transmission, so do not just go out and buy any generic tranny fluid.

As for what you think is a dip stick, that's in reality just the fill cap and neck to the transmission. Your CLS does not have a transmission dip stick. There is however a dip stick you can purchase, which is what MB uses when they service these tranny's. It will set you back anywhere from $30-$90+ depending on where you get one. DO NOT attempt to service your transmission without one, as you can do irreversible damage to your transmission if its under or even over full.

Hope this info helps...
Old 04-25-2011, 01:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
There is DIY on the flush that is really easy and not very messy. And if you buy a dipstick "which I did" DON'T leave it in the tube it is only for measuring then you buy the plastic lock for the cap. Replace the one you cut to open it and all done. My dealer showed me the results of leaving a stick in the hole to long and it wasn't pretty.