C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

iPhone Cradle vs. Bluetooth?? Very confusing!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' SLK 55 AMG, 08' CLS63AMG, 2010 ML350 BlueTec, Nissan Armada
Question iPhone Cradle vs. Bluetooth?? Very confusing!

I have a 2008 CLS65AMG WITH the 'puck' in the centre console. I'm not sure what the 'puck' is for lol.

I have searched all the forums, but am still terribly confused about phone options.

I use an iPhone4, and would like to use it via the vehicle phone system and COMAND.

Is there some type of cradle for an iPhone that connects to the vehicle somewhere? OR do I need some type of Bluetooth device to connect an iPhone so it can be used via COMAND?

If there are two options, what might be the pros and cons of each?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

PS. I have the same issue with my 2007 SLK55AMG (has no 'puck' that I know of), but I gave up on that one a while ago.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
The 'puck' IS a bluetooth device. You may be referring to the UHI connector? We offer what most would argue is a better (and less cost) puck for the Mercedes called a Viseeo MB2. The Mercedes puck is not quite a versatile, but will work as well. If you want some clarification, see our site and simply pick your car in the list, then click on 'BLUETOOTH (And iPod)' section.

Cartronics.com
Old 07-12-2011, 07:30 PM

CLS55
check this site for all the options available to you. (this is a UK site but im sure you can find such thing locally)
http://www.comandonline.co.uk/Cradle...ooth-Adapters/

I myself was confused and i phoned the guy and he recommended exactly the same thing as the above speaker. the original is not as fast and more expensive and you wont be able to upgrade its firmware if apple releases new iOSs
Old 07-13-2011, 11:25 AM

See, I'm learning already? Visited your site thanks. You are correct, I have the UHI (which I mistakenly called a puck). I understand from some of your posts that your MB-2 is more reliable than the MB OEM product?

A few quick questions:

1. What might be the basic functionality differences between your product and the OEM?
2. Are they both compatible with iPhone 4?
3. Does the functionality operate on/thru the larger COMAND screen (ie. incoming call display, phone book, etc.) or only on the smaller (speedometer area) display?
4. Does the phone automatically connect when car is turned on, or do you have to do anything manually to connect?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks so much in advance for your help!

PS. Vehicle is 2008 CLS 63AMG

Originally Posted by Cartronics
The 'puck' IS a bluetooth device. You may be referring to the UHI connector? We offer what most would argue is a better (and less cost) puck for the Mercedes called a Viseeo MB2. The Mercedes puck is not quite a versatile, but will work as well. If you want some clarification, see our site and simply pick your car in the list, then click on 'BLUETOOTH (And iPod)' section.

Cartronics.com
Old 07-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

The main functionality difference is the Viseeo is software upgradable. Many phones have hit the market that have required new software (including when the iPhone went from version 2.0 to 3.0 software). The MB units have a pre-approved list. Once new phones come out, or firmware updated on them, you 'may' have to replace the MB unit to remain compatible. The Viseeo, you simply update it with the included cable on your home computer. Functionally, they are the same, except the Viseeo has a MUCH easier time of syncing phonebooks to the car.
All functions and displays work the same. Nothing has to be touched once the car learns the phone (pairing) the first time. They both function through the COMAND and Cluster displays. The Viseeo is typically about 40% less in cost than the MB branded unit.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:35 AM

Wow, that was a quick response! Thanks, I am actually going to order right now. Appreciate the help!

Originally Posted by Cartronics
The main functionality difference is the Viseeo is software upgradable. Many phones have hit the market that have required new software (including when the iPhone went from version 2.0 to 3.0 software). The MB units have a pre-approved list. Once new phones come out, or firmware updated on them, you 'may' have to replace the MB unit to remain compatible. The Viseeo, you simply update it with the included cable on your home computer. Functionally, they are the same, except the Viseeo has a MUCH easier time of syncing phonebooks to the car.
All functions and displays work the same. Nothing has to be touched once the car learns the phone (pairing) the first time. They both function through the COMAND and Cluster displays. The Viseeo is typically about 40% less in cost than the MB branded unit.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Thank you very much. If you have ANY questions or problems at all, do not hesitate to phone us at 678-528-3443 or email us directly at sales AT cartronics.com (email not typed correctly to avoid automated email address farmer software)

You will get a very quick response and we are all technicians (no sales staff at all). We are sponsors of this forum, but direct email to us, hits us in real time.