Heat source found, please give input ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS500 with 55 AMG motor, 2008 Infiniti G35, 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager
Heat source found, please give input ?

Hi everyone. I was in my garage today and leaned against my car which has been parked for 4 days now. I felt mild heat coming from this area above the driver side rear wheel:

The car has been locked and parked for 4 days. Not sure what's under the metal body in that area of the car but I'm a little worried. I have not touched this area of the car, so I can't blame it on mods.

Let me know if anyone else feels this? Best to compare if it's felt on another CLS parked in a garage overnight. Thank you in advance

Last edited by khelawanb; 08-07-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
That's weird my guess is that It's something to do with the SRS system. I know the seat belt rollers or the AIRBAG is around that general area..
Old 08-07-2011, 07:54 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
Is the heat 'on' constantly or only intermittently? Are you sure the heat couldn't have come from an external source like sunlight shining on the car? If the car was creating the heat, there are only two possible energy sources - the fuel or the battery.
There's a big problem if fuel is being burned while the car is shut off, and it's likely to quickly get out of control if it were - so it's likely not the fuel - which leaves the battery.
I have trouble believing the battery has the capacity to maintain the draw that would be required to keep something noticeably warm for 4 days. I've had an interior light drain the battery after 24hours.
If you're really interested, and the heat is constant, you could drain the battery and see if it goes away. Then you could confirm whether it was coming from the car or not.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the quick replies. The car has been parked in the garage with no exposure to sunlight. It was also connected to a battery charger, which maintains the battery while the car is parked for days. I unplugged the charger and plan to monitor the voltage to see if it drains. The heat is still there after sitting all night.

My trunk opener has not been working right for a few years, and the motor for that seems to be located in that area. It is very possible that there is a connection between the heat source and that trunk module/motor.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:32 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
You might want to pull the battery and see if the heat goes away or connect an ammeter to determine the draw rather than allow the battery to drain. Once a battery is drained it never works well again.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by looney100
You might want to pull the battery and see if the heat goes away or connect an ammeter to determine the draw rather than allow the battery to drain. Once a battery is drained it never works well again.
Battery has maintained 12.4 V all day, so I plugged it up to my charger again.
I stuck my hand behind the panel in the trunk, near the factory amp location, and I feel a little heat there. My factory amp is not connected to my speakers, but is still connected to a power source. Next step will be to disconnect the factory amp, and possibly remove it. I thought that turning off this car and locking it would shut down everything
Old 08-07-2011, 07:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
It's more than likely your factory amp ask Justin a.k.a FT. I think he had the same problem when he had his after market system installed. I think without the speakers hooked up the amp still runs.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Roverron
It's more than likely your factory amp ask Justin a.k.a FT. I think he had the same problem when he had his after market system installed. I think without the speakers hooked up the amp still runs.

Reverron, you are right bro! I went out to the car, stuck my hand behind the panel, and found out that my OEM amp was extremely hot!!
That thing felt like it was on fire

I pulled out the #6 40amp fuse, and after 45 min the heat is gone. Never realized I had this problem because my car is always on a charger