C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

New CLS Owner...what all do these things do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 12:00 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
New CLS Owner...what all do these things do?

All,

Just got home with my pewter CLS55. It has 45k miles, picked it up for $32k. For last four years I've had a c32 that I just loved (EC crank pulley, EC tune, I/C pump,heat Exchanger , NW pulley saver kit, SL55 intake, k&ns). I've been watching these CLS55s for years.

Seems real clean. Unfortunately some of the features listed on the dealer web posting don't all match what I actually have (and I do not think it was intentional). That said, on my 5 hour drive today I found:

- heated and cooled seats
- bi-xenon headlights
- cool suede type headliner
- It 'kinds' massages me when I hit pulse button (it pushes hi then low, back and forth against back)...any more to know about that?
- I'm pretty sure I have navigation, but no disk was in car
- there is this device in center console that I think is blue tooth related
- trunk closes by itself via button
- dealer listed sounds system as 'premium' with CD changer...where would I find the CD changer? Stereo sounded pretty good, but IMO was about on par with my C32. Dealer also listed DVD player..but umm...no don't think so.
- on real tight turns I can feel the seat sides turning in to keep me in place

any other cool stuff worth noting? I've focused so much research on the engine and drivetrain and when looking at car really just went over the mechanical inspection, I never really pain much attention to the features.

Last edited by testknight; 12-30-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:06 AM

CLS55
pictures
Attached Thumbnails New CLS Owner...what all do these things do?-ag_800.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2013, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
Congrats on your new purchase!

- heated and cooled seats...optional ventilated seats could blow more, but they do work.

- bi-xenon headlights...I believe they all come with

- cool suede type headliner, stock on AMG

- It 'kinds' massages me when I hit pulse button (it pushes hi then low, back and forth against back)...any more to know about that?.. NICE WHATS HER NAME? that's nice option, it's called dynamic seats.

- I'm pretty sure I have navigation, but no disk was in car, check rear left compartment in trunk.

- there is this device in center console that I think is blue tooth related, is it silver? If so yes it's a Bluetooth puck, also nice upgraded option.

- trunk closes by itself via button.. Yes stock

- dealer listed sounds system as 'premium' with CD changer...where would I find the CD changer? Button on dash allows for wood door to open where CDs go

Stereo sounded pretty good, but IMO was about on par with my C32. Dealer also listed DVD player..but umm...no don't think so.

- on real tight turns I can feel the seat sides turning in to keep me in place. Yes same option as the girl that massages you.

any other cool stuff worth noting? I've focused so much research on the engine and drivetrain and when looking at car really just went over the mechanical inspection, I never really pain much attention to the features.

In glovebox is a headphone jack to connect aux for iPod to stereo, they make an iPod kit that allows you to function through steering and dash control. You don't need kit to just listen and control manually.

Lots of us have dropped the ride with a lowering module, also updated single fin grills and led tail lights update the look.

Just enjoy the power and ride!

Last edited by Kevin M.; 12-30-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
do a resonator delete with straight pipes to wake up the exhaust note a bit.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by 1SickCLS
do a resonator delete with straight pipes to wake up the exhaust note a bit.
Shouldn't the resonator be left alone to give the supercharged car some backpressure? (assuming the secondary cats have been deleted as well).
Old 12-31-2013, 09:11 PM

CLS55 AMG
the manifold collectors size is about 1.75 inches. I think theres plenty of restricted flow from the oem system considering its pushing more than 7 liters of air through that tiny manifold.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
If you go on the mbusa website you should be able to get the entire owners manual on PDF. The book is almost 3/4 inch thick.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Congrats. I see you got the one from Chicago Motor Cars. Who was your salesperson if you don't mind me asking?
Old 01-03-2014, 01:12 PM

CLS55
Purchased from Jose.

I did find out that these things DO NOT drive on snow. We had 3-4 inches and I found myself stuck in the middle of the road. Some guy even got out of his truck and asked "What are you stuck in!!" I said 'Nothing!' I couldn't go faster than 5mph and once momentum stopped I couldn't get started again...had to have it towed home.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:20 AM

CLS55 AMG
the manifold collectors size is about 1.75 inches. I think theres plenty of restricted flow from the oem system considering its pushing more than 7 liters of air through that tiny manifold.
Did you notice any loss of torque after removing both cats and resonators?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:40 AM

CLS55 AMG
Not really. It probably traded a bit of torque for horsepower but nothing so subtantial that you'll actually feel it.

Last edited by 1SickCLS; 01-08-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:42 AM

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by testknight
Purchased from Jose.

I did find out that these things DO NOT drive on snow. We had 3-4 inches and I found myself stuck in the middle of the road. Some guy even got out of his truck and asked "What are you stuck in!!" I said 'Nothing!' I couldn't go faster than 5mph and once momentum stopped I couldn't get started again...had to have it towed home.
most probably to do with the tires on the car. Any good set of winter rated tires will enable almost any rear wheel drive vehicle to traverse snow with a little gas pedal common sense.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:19 PM

CLS55 AMG
Not really. It probably traded a bit of torque for horsepower but nothing so sustantial that you'll actually feel it.
Thanks! Now I'll probably remove my 2nd cats and resonator on my CLS. I've heard some clips of CLS55's w/o resonators and they sound dirty!
Old 01-08-2014, 10:43 AM

CLS55 AMG
Yeah, it makes the fun to drive factor increase 10 fold, but not at all loud in the cabin.

heres a video I put together with my new go pro. I mounted it on the back bumper to really get some good sound, but inside the cabin is still so quiet I was kinda disappointed.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:51 AM

CLS55 AMG
Yeah, it makes the fun to drive factor increase 10 fold, but not at all loud in the cabin.

heres a video I put together with my new go pro. I mounted it on the back bumper to really get some good sound, but inside the cabin is still so quiet I was kinda disappointed.

CLS55 straight pipes and secondary cat delete - YouTube
That sounds killer! So what were the exact specifics you asked the exhaust shop to do? Remove the 2nd cats, remove resonator, but what did you replace the resonator with? Just straight pipes? I want to be exact.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:48 AM

CLS55 AMG
resonator delete for straight pipes and the secondary cats/h-pipe for an x pipe. Shouldnt cost more than 200 with labor included.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:53 PM

CLS55 AMG
resonator delete for straight pipes and the secondary cats/h-pipe for an x pipe. Shouldnt cost more than 200 with labor included.
Thank you very much! I greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
With the traction control off you should do fine in the snow , I had the same problem , stuck in nothing , and noticed a flashing light on the dash , turned it off , light on the gas pedal and your good to go . Snow tires do wonders as well !