Max speaker depth?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Cayenne S
Max speaker depth?

Guys,

I have searched Google and MBWorld looking for a definitive answer, but so far no luck, I have an 06' CLS55.

Does anybody know for sure the speaker depth of the front and rear doors?

Last edited by Kelvin07; 03-12-2014 at 04:51 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:26 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Now that's a good question, I would love to know this to. I have just completed a sub install and so sick of trying to crank the volume only to be shocked each time that it is maxed out already... I need more juice out of this thing, must be going hard of hearing in my old age, lol !!

Also what speakers are in the doors, 6.5 inch ? Is there a diy on pulling these doors apart? Will be following this one
Old 03-12-2014, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by C32owner
Now that's a good question, I would love to know this to. I have just completed a sub install and so sick of trying to crank the volume only to be shocked each time that it is maxed out already... I need more juice out of this thing, must be going hard of hearing in my old age, lol !!

Also what speakers are in the doors, 6.5 inch ? Is there a diy on pulling these doors apart? Will be following this one
Did you get new sub and new amp for it?, or just the sub?

Yes, they are 6.5", I currently run Rockford T165 speakers on all four doors and these are true 6.5" mid range speakers.

I wanna know depth because I want to upgrade the T165's, but I'm concerned that the new ones will be too deep.

Last edited by Kelvin07; 03-12-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
you have load of space, especially if you keep the stock baffle

there's the sliding mechanism for the glass but, AFAIremember, the glass goesn't get that low, compared to E-class

so, 70mm depth isn't a problem

Old 03-12-2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by dyno
you have load of space, especially if you keep the stock baffle

there's the sliding mechanism for the glass but, AFAIremember, the glass goesn't get that low, compared to E-class

so, 70mm depth isn't a problem
THIS IS GREAT!!!

I want to install a 3.5" depth speaker.

Do you happen to know how much space is between the door panel and the top of the speaker?, is there any space to push the speaker outward?
Old 03-12-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
Are the rears also 6.5"
Old 03-12-2014, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tech-Tune
Are the rears also 6.5"
Yes. I have 6.5 Rockfords in the rear doors.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kelvin07
THIS IS GREAT!!!

I want to install a 3.5" depth speaker.

Do you happen to know how much space is between the door panel and the top of the speaker?, is there any space to push the speaker outward?
3.5" is about 90mm
maybe you'll need to modify the baffle,
better you double check .. its just a matter of 3 screws as you see from my pic above.

fact is that the orientation of the baffle is a bit weird: it's toward the front of the car and not the listener.. maybe it's for design reason, but that's good only as long as that speaker is used just as bass.
should it be oriented toward the listener or maybe even just parallel to the door panel, there would be less chance to contact with the sliding mechanism. and if you are lucky this could be made by modifying just the baffle, where the speaker sits on the baffle, and keeping the grill stock.
As for the stock grill, it is already contacting with the baffle, so at present there's no space for placing the speaker more outward (except if you place an additional round speaker grill upon the stock grill).
All this was a reason for my decision to fit an additional mid speaker more properly oriented and placed at an higher level (while my bottom speaker receives just bass notes, being lowpassed below 500Hz).

Last edited by dyno; 03-13-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:13 AM

Where is you high pass filter? 70-80hz?, are you getting good bass our of the front doors?

3.5" is about 90mm
maybe you'll need to modify the baffle,
better you double check .. its just a matter of 3 screws as you see from my pic above.

fact is that the orientation of the baffle is a bit weird: it's toward the front of the car and not the listener.. maybe it's for design reason, but that's good only as long as that speaker is used just as bass.
should it be oriented toward the listener or maybe even just parallel to the door panel, there would be less chance to contact with the sliding mechanism. and if you are lucky this could be made by modifying just the baffle, where the speaker sits on the baffle, and keeping the grill stock.
As for the stock grill, it is already contacting with the baffle, so at present there's no space for placing the speaker more outward (except if you place an additional round speaker grill upon the stock grill).
All this was a reason for my decision to fit an additional mid speaker more properly oriented and placed at an higher level (while my bottom speaker receives just bass notes, being lowpassed below 500Hz).
Old 03-13-2014, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes.. about that
.. but I have a dedicated amp for the bass (a DMX genesis) so I 'm always playing with modding the filtering, LOL
for example now I'm pushing that Supremo below 60Hz (while the processor is still at 80) and juicing him 3-400 watts

Last edited by dyno; 03-13-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:45 AM

You have my undivided attention!

I will be running a full ative set up, no problem dedicaring all the power to specific speakers...

What sort of 6.5" speakers are you pushing below 60?, the only ones I know that can do that are the Exodus Anarchy, but they are around 3.7" deep, hence why I was inquiribg about depth.

Again, what speakers are running that low?, and, do they hold up? No distortion?

Are those custom mid range enclosures I see at the top of the door panel?, below the tweeter? ��
yes.. about that
.. but I have a dedicated amp for the bass (a DMX genesis) so I 'm always playing with modding the filtering, LOL
for example now I'm pushing that Supremo below 60Hz (while the processor is still at 80) and juicing him 3-400 watts

Last edited by Kelvin07; 03-13-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

it's written in my sig: Morel supremo.

I have also a carbon version that I 've fitted on rear doors

I know they are overkill there ...
would like to try them on fronts, maybe this summer will find the time.

as for quality and distortion it all depends on the quality of the music you're playing ... sure, you don't want mp3 if you want quality.
type of music and registration also play a big role if you want to push your speakers to the limit.

mids enclosures are custom
and also tweets, for hosting those big supremo "Piccolo" tweets (which are the best and most worthy alone)
Old 03-14-2014, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Kelvin,
I just had a quick look at the Exodus Anarchy and it seems very well commented .
I see it is so loudly said about the jumbo 12.5/25 mm excursion (Xmax) it has, for backing the argument pro its delivering capability .
indeed, I wouldn't look at just xmax but more to Qes (the motor excursion which is, in the end the true limitingfactor) and here it appears much more normal ..

In any case, it is so cheap (about 50-60$ a piece) that if you'll take it, please take a pair also for me as I m curious to see what difference.
Just, don't get why that start-up company went bad if those premises were true ..

BUT, see below and make sure the diameter is max 6.5"/165mm ( as I found somewhere written that it's 180mm)

Last edited by dyno; 03-14-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

update:

.. checked today..

90mm will NOT fit without mod to the baffle (and, hence, to the cover grill)

80mm can fit with a slight mod, depending on how large is the magnet

70 fits without any mod, no matter how large is the magnet

(just for info: stock speaker takes 64mm)

with a slight mod
Old 03-17-2014, 02:31 PM

I think the Exodus is more like 4 inches deep... Dang it!

It has incredible reviews across the board, specially if you are running a 3-way set up, with tweeters that can be crossed over below 2khz.

I would have to make alterations to the door panel, this week I'm meeting with my upholstery guy to see what options I would have.

The Exodus Anarchy was created and produced by a guy in a DIY FORUM, low volume items are tough to maintain, when he announced he was closing down production, a fan of the Exodus stepped up and requested permission from the creator to keep manufacturing the Anarchy, it is a "get it while it lasts" type of product, I am quite certain that if the Anarchy was made by Hertz, Morel or Focal, it would cost upwards of $700 or a lot more, because of its massive specs and the fact that there's nothing like it on the market at 6.5", well, your Morel are better, but they cost thousands

update:

.. checked today..

90mm will NOT fit without mod to the baffle (and, hence, to the cover grill)

80mm can fit with a slight mod, depending on how large is the magnet

70 fits without any mod, no matter how large is the magnet

(just for info: stock speaker takes 64mm)

with a slight mod
Old 03-18-2014, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes, the morels are very good: I compared with stock mid bass speakers and there's no comparison in detail (even if, as I always wrote in former threads our stock bass are not bad. btw, they require just half the power to produce the same sound level of the morels, therefore I suppose either they are so sensitive or they are 2 Ohms rated).
On the other hand, what impressed me immediately was the morel tweeters Piccolo, no comparison even with dynaudio.

if for some reason one want load of sound pressure for basses , then it's necessary something else: especially with certain electronic music I can't feed too much power to my Supremos or they will go off of cone...
while, I 'd love to have a mid-bass precise and detailed but also able to blow air like a sub when powered up wildly ..LOL
I would still think that a big limitating factor would still remain the 6inch diameter .. also because the net cone surface is more than one inch less.
unfortunately I have only a spare pair of old morels which are too big (9in) and that's too much.
If going for a mod a would prefer something around 7- 7.5 inch.

the giant excursion of those Exodus is promising.. so please give me a good link about them and confirm their diameter.

As I always had plan to mod my grill for having it made of the same streched metal as my mid's cover, I could consider the Exodus mod thing ..

so, again, please let me know when you'll be buying them and I'l be in for a pair.

Last edited by dyno; 03-18-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:26 PM

yes, the morels are very good: I compared with stock mid bass speakers and there's no comparison in detail (even if, as I always wrote in former threads our stock bass are not bad. btw, they require just half the power to produce the same sound level of the morels, therefore I suppose either they are so sensitive or they are 2 Ohms rated).
On the other hand, what impressed me immediately was the morel tweeters Piccolo, no comparison even with dynaudio.

if for some reason one want load of sound pressure for basses , then it's necessary something else: especially with certain electronic music I can't feed too much power to my Supremos or they will go off of cone...
while, I 'd love to have a mid-bass precise and detailed but also able to blow air like a sub when powered up wildly ..LOL
I would still think that a big limitating factor would still remain the 6inch diameter .. also because the net cone surface is more than one inch less.
unfortunately I have only a spare pair of old morels which are too big (9in) and that's too much.
If going for a mod a would prefer something around 7- 7.5 inch.

the giant excursion of those Exodus is promising.. so please give me a good link about them and confirm their diameter.

As I always had plan to mod my grill for having it made of the same streched metal as my mid's cover, I could consider the Exodus mod thing ..

so, again, please let me know when you'll be buying them and I'l be in for a pair.
I just ordered a pair! , my installer says he can modify my door panel an re-use my OEM grille to cover the speaker, I SHOWED HIM PICS OF YOUR DOOR and how they looked and I told him "that's what I want!"

Dyno, what crossover points are you using for your speakers?

Are you using center speaker?

After reading your comments, I am also planning on replacing my stock tweeters, with something that can play lower frequencies (around 2khz).
Old 03-18-2014, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

pics of my door ... are you referirng to my additional speaker below the tweeter ? because for the mid-bass I still have the stock grille !
(not for long indeed because I already gave a sheet of stretched metal grille to my shop for studying the possibility to make one, like stock, but metallic and with more transparence .. fact is that when I open the door I want to see what I paid for those speakers )

Yes, I have center ... 4" custom install (Morel Hybrid 4" mid bass+ MT23tweet). X-over about 90Hz or maybe 80, don't remember, but always steep 24db slope !
That's great (and expensive) BUT if you want to do it, I would suggest to fit the coaxial Morel Integra 4": it will be easier to fit as you don't need the separate tweet. I have those as Surround speakers on my rear panel and they are awesome (a bit higher Xover: 100Hz).

you can see some pics of my install in this old thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w219/2722...rovements.html

My door tweeter Supremo Piccolo is rated to go as low as 800Hz resonant freq.
but I am not exploiting till that low because I have the additional midrange (which is NOT a mid-range indeed but a mid-bass and is hi-passed low enough, at 300Hz and below).
if you don't want to do all the work for a custom tweeter fitment like that, I should still have a orignal set of AMG E02 tweeters ..

so, can you take a pair of Exodus for me ? .. let me know and I paypal you.

( in any case, I found a spec sheet and their max diameter is 181.8mm, therefore baffle mod is necessary ...)

Last edited by dyno; 03-18-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

btw ..that Exodus would also give a sense to my monster speaker cables:
did you see they are 8awg (for mid-bass and Sub only ) Magnum hybrid carbon cables by "Van den Hul"

Old 03-19-2014, 12:55 AM

I could take the paypal, but they will too, also, I am in Costa Rica, way farther away from where you are in Italy (wish I was in Florence tho...), contact them, I am pretty sure they can do Intl shipping, they usually reply within a day or two.

How did you add the 4" mid AND a tweeter inside the center channel opening?, it is SO SMALL!, I think I currently have 3" Hertz speaker and a tweeter in there.

I am not too worried about "rear fill", I plan on running the rear door speakers directly from the head unit at a lower volume, everything else will be active, I am quite positive this is doable... we'll see. I am of the thinking that rear speakers mess up your front soundstage, so up front is where 90% of my gear will be installed.

I will probably keep my IB sub, and everything looking as stock as possible, I don't wanna end up with no trunk space, all stock locations.

For my tweeters, I need something to go low, I don't wanna break the bank, so I was thinking about something like this, Scanspeak Illuminator D3004/6020-00 http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...-textile-dome/, they fit the in the stock locations and I have read some raving reviews about them.

pics of my door ... are you referirng to my additional speaker below the tweeter ? because for the mid-bass I still have the stock grille !
(not for long indeed because I already gave a sheet of stretched metal grille to my shop for studying the possibility to make one, like stock, but metallic and with more transparence .. fact is that when I open the door I want to see what I paid for those speakers )

Yes, I have center ... 4" custom install (Morel Hybrid 4" mid bass+ MT23tweet). X-over about 90Hz or maybe 80, don't remember, but always steep 24db slope !
That's great (and expensive) BUT if you want to do it, I would suggest to fit the coaxial Morel Integra 4": it will be easier to fit as you don't need the separate tweet. I have those as Surround speakers on my rear panel and they are awesome (a bit higher Xover: 100Hz).

you can see some pics of my install in this old thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w219/2722...rovements.html

My door tweeter Supremo Piccolo is rated to go as low as 800Hz resonant freq.
but I am not exploiting till that low because I have the additional midrange (which is NOT a mid-range indeed but a mid-bass and is hi-passed low enough, at 300Hz and below).
if you don't want to do all the work for a custom tweeter fitment like that, I should still have a orignal set of AMG E02 tweeters ..

so, can you take a pair of Exodus for me ? .. let me know and I paypal you.

( in any case, I found a spec sheet and their max diameter is 181.8mm, therefore baffle mod is necessary ...)

Last edited by Kelvin07; 03-19-2014 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

for Exodus, then I'll wait to see your feedback after install, so to make sure they are not just things for blowing air out and how they keep up when feeded with amp power

meanwhile I'll put on my front doors my carbon morels that are rated 200W continuous and 1000W transient.

as for Center, I suggested you to fit Integra coax 4" as Center. not for rear fill (as is my case).
in any case, not an easy fitment. requires mod.

Scanspeak is well reputed and those tw are visually quite close to those Dynaudio MD100 that I tested in this car, before the morels, and they were much better than stock, very good.

Last edited by dyno; 03-19-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:46 PM

for Exodus, then I'll wait to see your feedback after install, so to make sure they are not just things for blowing air out and how they keep up when feeded with amp power

meanwhile I'll put on my front doors my carbon morels that are rated 200W continuous and 1000W transient.

as for Center, I suggested you to fit Integra coax 4" as Center. not for rear fill (as is my case).
in any case, not an easy fitment. requires mod.

Scanspeak is well reputed and those tw are visually quite close to those Dynaudio MD100 that I tested in this car, before the morels, and they were much better than stock, very good.
There's plenty of feedback on them on different mobile audio forums. I am a big believer in installation, how you install your speakers and how you insulate your doors matters more, IMO, than installing very expensive gear, now, with that said, if you can do BOTH, than you are truly getting your money's worth (like in your case), I plan on using decent gear and combine that with very meticulous installation.

I was talking about my rear door speakers when I referenced "rear fill". I didn't mean about the 4" mid range, I was wondering how did you fit that big of a speaker in the center channel, mine is a Hertz 3" mid range and it hardly fit.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Exodus: I think I've read it's rated just 50W..
can you point me to a forum link where it's covered the power handling capability point ?

insulation/deadening is very importnt but our car is already very well insulated. I think my installer had to add just a few deadening.
What are you planning to do ?
I do not believe it makes much sense trying to turn a car into a wooden box. meaning that it 'd be a lost battle.

for Center, I suppose you have the full range Hertz that I pointed here
https://mbworld.org/forums/w219/3319...r-toasted.html

I thought I had posted there something about my custom center but can't find.. in any case it was very difficult to fit half of this 4" set

here you see how tight it is

Old 03-20-2014, 04:22 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by Kelvin07
Did you get new sub and new amp for it?, or just the sub?

Yes, they are 6.5", I currently run Rockford T165 speakers on all four doors and these are true 6.5" mid range speakers.

I wanna know depth because I want to upgrade the T165's, but I'm concerned that the new ones will be too deep.
Sorry bud, been away from home for a while.. Yeah I ripped out that crappy stock sub on the rear deck and left that "hole" open so the bass from the new sub in a box in the boot "trunk" would allow the waves to travel through the car. YEs I did a before and after and leaving that whole open and not simply unplugging the oem sub made a difference, to leave it out.

I installed an amp just to drive the sub woofer, for more bass giving a fuller sound adding to the cars existing stock sound. However I need more volume now and will probably end up having another amp to drive upgraded speakers in the doors alone. I wont bother with those silly crap 4" speakers on the read deck and centre channel as I don't listen in 7 logic surround anyway.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:09 AM

Dyno, do you have a picture of your drivers side door, I wanna see where you put your midrange, to plan for install and location?, did you move the seat controllers?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Max speaker depth?