C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Every time I fill the tank it reeks of raw gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS 55 AMG
Exclamation Every time I fill the tank it reeks of raw gas

Anyone know what might cause my CLS55 AMG to reek of raw gas for a while. After a day or so the smell goes away. Don't see any drips on the ground. Tried to fill it up very slowly and wait for the pump to shut off automatically. Tried to fill it up fast up to the point where the sound coming from the tank tells me it is full and stopping the fill up myself. What could be causing that smell of raw gas after a fill up? I'm at a loss....It's not coming from under the hood, it's not coming from the filler door. It's coming from under the car somewhere...

Thanks
Old 01-06-2015, 09:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 E350 Wagon
Could be your fuel sender. http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/20...gas-tank.shtml
Old 01-06-2015, 10:04 AM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by purplegrog
PURPLEGROG Thank you sir, you are right on the money. I called my Mercedes Benz dealer in Gainesville Florida and my service guy said it just came in and read the same thing that is on the end of that link. I cannot thank you enough. I know these Mercedes Benz are lovely but incredibly complex so taking it to a local wrench may not always be a good idea. I have an appointment for 0730 tomorrow morning ahead of the crush to get it fixed under that 15 year extended warranty from Mercedes. Whew!

Thanks again mate...David Bedford
Old 01-08-2015, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Will they warranty a CLS? I thought they were only doing E class.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:00 AM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
Will they warranty a CLS? I thought they were only doing E class.
Yes apparently the CLS 2006-2012 or 13 can't remember. I was at the dealership yesterday and the rep was talking to MB in Jersey and it will apparently be honored at the end of January. Don't know why the delay, but they could not fix yesterday morning because MB hadn't entered some VAC # or something like that and sent out the letters yet. So, the dealer could not get reimbursed if the repair was dated before MB said go. They did take my tank apart to inspect it and it is a seal for which they need a new nut of some kind that they have to order. Man getting at the gas tank from the back seat sux. Having a coupe wrenches back there full of gas tracking it all over. The rep asked me to top off when I got to Gainesville so they could check it and there was a load of gas in that thing, and it stunk all the way back home. Still stinks in the back seat some. Don't fill up your tank until you can get it fixed...

But to answer your question, yes CLS is in the mix. Popeye
Old 01-09-2015, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Old 01-09-2015, 08:08 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Yeah I had the gas tank leak issue back in 2012 and had to replace the fuel tank...called the stealership yesterday to see if they would reimburse me for the cost....I am not holding my breath on that one, but will post if they come through in case anyone else is in the same boat.....
Old 01-09-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2008 CLS 63 amg
Originally Posted by popeyebedford
PURPLEGROG Thank you sir, you are right on the money. I called my Mercedes Benz dealer in Gainesville Florida and my service guy said it just came in and read the same thing that is on the end of that link. I cannot thank you enough. I know these Mercedes Benz are lovely but incredibly complex so taking it to a local wrench may not always be a good idea. I have an appointment for 0730 tomorrow morning ahead of the crush to get it fixed under that 15 year extended warranty from Mercedes. Whew!

How did you get a 15 year extended warranty?
Old 01-09-2015, 02:10 PM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
Gas fill up makes care stinky

Originally Posted by Og Asr
How did you get a 15 year extended warranty?
The extended warranty came from a law suit or law suits and the NHTSA settling for the extended warranty on the gas tank parts instead of a complete recall by Mercedes Benz. It is so recent that nobody has heard about it. I just got lucky...There are about seven different parts that are covered including the tank itself.

Mercedes Benz has not yet notified by letter either dealers or individuals. My service rep spoke to them day before yesterday and says it will be the end of January before I can get the warranty work done. Not a problem, I can wait. Just won't fill up.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts
E55
The extended warranty came from a law suit or law suits and the NHTSA settling for the extended warranty on the gas tank parts instead of a complete recall by Mercedes Benz. It is so recent that nobody has heard about it. I just got lucky...There are about seven different parts that are covered including the tank itself.

Mercedes Benz has not yet notified by letter either dealers or individuals. My service rep spoke to them day before yesterday and says it will be the end of January before I can get the warranty work done. Not a problem, I can wait. Just won't fill up.
you don't have to wait for anything. just tell them you need it fixed and its unacceptable to have leaking fuel. all they have to do is call the factory for approval.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG

Could you please share what you told the dealer in order to have them do this repair for free? I was under the assumption that the NTHSA investigations were only for the W211 E classes, so I didn't even bother checking with my local dealer. Do you know if they're offering this nationwide, or do you think you just got lucky and it could be an isolated incident?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:59 PM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
Raw gas smell

All you have to do is let them smell the gas. My CLS55 AMG is included.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:03 PM

CLS55 AMG
All you have to do is let them smell the gas. My CLS55 AMG is included.
Thanks for your quick response. I'll fill it up all the way next time and do as you say. I first had this issue a little more than a year ago, and ever since I filled it 3/4 full in order to avoid the fuel smell until Mercedes would take action on it.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:09 PM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jawzey
Thanks for your quick response. I'll fill it up all the way next time and do as you say. I first had this issue a little more than a year ago, and ever since I filled it 3/4 full in order to avoid the fuel smell until Mercedes would take action on it.
Be aware, depending on how neat and tidy your Mercedes wrenches are filling it up before going in might leave you with the smell of gas inside the car as well as the outside. I only had the smell on the outside until I topped
it off (per service rep) so they could inspect if for the warranty repair. After that inspection, and since the repair couldn't be made until end of January I had a week of gas smell inside the car too. Just be aware....

good luck...
Old 01-13-2015, 12:01 AM

CLS55 AMG
Be aware, depending on how neat and tidy your Mercedes wrenches are filling it up before going in might leave you with the smell of gas inside the car as well as the outside. I only had the smell on the outside until I topped
it off (per service rep) so they could inspect if for the warranty repair. After that inspection, and since the repair couldn't be made until end of January I had a week of gas smell inside the car too. Just be aware....

good luck...
Thanks for your insight! However, if anything, filling it up all the way will only help my chances considering there will be irrefutable proof of the odor. Mercedes won't be able to weasel their way out of the repair by saying they can't "replicate the issue." Anyways, let me know how it works out for you!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:34 AM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
My CLS55 in shop for warranty but will take week to get parts from Germany

Anyone getting their gassy smelling fuel tank problem fixed with the extended warranty? I put mine into Mercedes Gainesville on Thursday and after hanging out for 4 hours they gave me a 2015 C250 loaner saying it was more than they thought, in fact they said it was the fuel pump that had a crack not just a hose. I thought parts would come from Atlanta or NJ. So, I went home expecting to come back on Monday and pick it up.

Low and behold got call on Monday saying that parts would be coming from Germany. Wouldn't be in until Wednesday best, and maybe not then.

This morning I emailed curious why parts not avail in NJ or Atlanta and asked if parts available stateside had same defect as parts being replaced? Requiring a redesign from Germany. Service guy could not confirm.

So, am curious about the experiences of those on this forum who are getting the same warranty repairs on their 2006 CLS55 AMG's ...

Anyone?
Old 01-20-2015, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts
E55
Anyone getting their gassy smelling fuel tank problem fixed with the extended warranty? I put mine into Mercedes Gainesville on Thursday and after hanging out for 4 hours they gave me a 2015 C250 loaner saying it was more than they thought, in fact they said it was the fuel pump that had a crack not just a hose. I thought parts would come from Atlanta or NJ. So, I went home expecting to come back on Monday and pick it up.

Low and behold got call on Monday saying that parts would be coming from Germany. Wouldn't be in until Wednesday best, and maybe not then.

This morning I emailed curious why parts not avail in NJ or Atlanta and asked if parts available stateside had same defect as parts being replaced? Requiring a redesign from Germany. Service guy could not confirm.

So, am curious about the experiences of those on this forum who are getting the same warranty repairs on their 2006 CLS55 AMG's ...

Anyone?
yes the amg models are getting fixed now. the fuel filter and the fuel pumps are now a different part number since the warranty extension has come out. i do not know the changes to the parts though.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:51 AM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
Thanks mate
Old 02-03-2015, 02:30 AM

CLS550
Thanks for the info. I'm currently back in Afghanistan. But, will get this done when I redeploy home.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:24 AM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
Unhappy Gassy smell when filling up the CLS55 AMG

My CLS has been at Mercedes for the last two going on three weeks. Seems as though the entire fuel tank and all it's components will be replaced. Sure hope that they get that second fuel pump soon, I miss my baby...
Old 02-04-2015, 06:42 PM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
Just found out today it will be February 19 before parts released

Just found out today that it will be the 16th of February before fuel pump parts will be released for my CLS55 AMG and 72 hours for them to arrive at Gainesville Mercedes.

Have to assume that the new fuel pump is a redesign. But maybe not. Maybe there are many many CLS55 AMG's to repair. But at any rate I will not be seeing my Mercedes for another couple weeks. That sux, but the warranty price is right. So, color me OK with the delay...
Old 03-06-2015, 04:08 PM

CLS550
Originally Posted by dreday1111
Thanks for the info. I'm currently back in Afghanistan. But, will get this done when I redeploy home.
Well I'm back to America
Got my Tank replaced for free. The MB Dealership quoted me a $572 charge for replacing 2 x fuel senders. But, after me being confused concerning the charge, they waived it. Service Manager said the charges were not clearly identified by MB, therefore they would waive them. Wife had a loner for free the entire week. MB OF BORNE Texas is a top notched Dealerships. I am not surprised that they took care of a Soldier just returning from Afghanistan.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:14 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Reimbursed for previous gas leak repair

Hey I finally talked to Mercedes Customer Care, since the stealership never returned my calls. They are going to reimburse me for my costs for the fuel tank replacement from back in 2012 under the extended warranty agreement...THANKS MB ....
Old 01-11-2021, 07:28 PM

Received 182 Likes on 75 Posts
W221 S550 4MATIC
Anyone know what might cause my CLS55 AMG to reek of raw gas for a while. After a day or so the smell goes away. Don't see any drips on the ground. Tried to fill it up very slowly and wait for the pump to shut off automatically. Tried to fill it up fast up to the point where the sound coming from the tank tells me it is full and stopping the fill up myself. What could be causing that smell of raw gas after a fill up? I'm at a loss....It's not coming from under the hood, it's not coming from the filler door. It's coming from under the car somewhere...

Thanks
I fixed it.