2006 CLS55 AMG Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG
2006 CLS55 AMG Question

Hey guys,

New to the MB World site, but definitely not new to cars and tuning. I just picked up my 2006 CLS55 AMG on Friday last week. Love the car, love the power, love everything about it. However, one little "issue" (if i should even call it that), is that when I turn off the ESP, naturally, to have some fun, i find that after a hard pull, the car becomes a slouch. There are no codes, no check engine lights, nothing. I can punch it, in "sport" mode on the transmission with ESP on, and the car goes absolutely bat-sh*t. With esp off, i can get a pretty slippery start with a tonne of wheel spin, and if i stay on it, she goes, but if i ease off the power and let the car "hover" in 3rd around 3000-3500rpm, and then punch it again, it feels like half my power is gone, it doesnt have the same "get up and go".

Anyone experience this?
Old 05-01-2015, 11:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55, Audi A7, Range Rover Sport
That my friend is most likely your supercharger getting heat soaked. I remember this happening to me years ago & I freaked out - thought I broke something lol. Sadly its a common problem amongst us CLS55 guys. To fix this issue, most people opt for the Johnson CM30 intercooler pump.

Last edited by Flo1989; 05-01-2015 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Error
Old 05-01-2015, 03:08 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Flo1989
That my friend is most likely your supercharger getting heat soaked. I remember this happening to me years ago & I freaked out - thought I broke something lol. Sadly its a common problem amongst us CLS55 guys. To fix this issue, most people opt for the Johnson CM30 intercooler pump.
First of all, thank you for your reply...

Interesting, and normally I would agree, as I've had turbo'ed cars previously. But whats interesting is that after those few hard pulls and things "slow down" with ESP off, i turn it back on, and the car "wakes back up" so-to-speak... it puzzles me... But I've heard things about the ESP and traction control system not being "fully off". Is this it's way of being "off" but not fully off?
Old 05-01-2015, 09:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55, Audi A7, Range Rover Sport
As far as traction control being completely off, I believe you hold it down for 3-5 seconds...But nonetheless, I'd still bet its simply getting heat soaked. You stating that it woke back up after slowing down for a bit all sounds like heat soak - same thing that happened to me &others. If you were to lose this power during normal like driving theeen I would be nervous. Maybe someone else here can voice their opinion on whether or not they believe its something else...lads & gents?....
Old 05-01-2015, 10:28 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
I rarely drive the car aggressively. If i leave the car as is in sport mode (transmission and suspension) with ESP on, the car is perfect. If i turn the ESP off by pushing it (not holding it) the first pull(s) are good, but say i pull hard in 1st and 2nd, it will shift to thrid, and hold the RPM at mid range 3000-3500 because it's expecting me or waiting for me to continue pushing, and if i were to keep pushing it feels like half my power is gone. If the supercharger was heat soaked, i could understand 15-20% loss in power, but feeling like i lost about 50% seems a tad odd.. and when it feels this way, it literally feels like the computer (ecu) is saying "okay enough fun, im in charge now"

But thanks for the reply man, maybe it is as simple as heat soak...

The car has 105,000kms (About 65,000miles) maybe the supercharger needs an oil change? Is it possible the clutch on the supercharger is going? And with heat it slips? I would assume theres an error code of some sort that would arise?
Old 05-02-2015, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
This is very common. Standard new guy question. Look on the E55 forum maintenance parts thread. Buy the upgraded Bosch 010 pump. Problem solved, and it will run stronger than ever.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
cls55 amg
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
This is very common. Standard new guy question. Look on the E55 forum maintenance parts thread. Buy the upgraded Bosch 010 pump. Problem solved, and it will run stronger than ever.
This. Replace your HE pump and problem solved.

Also, you'll need to spend time on the e55 forum if you want good as there's not much around here.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
The reason for the massive power loss due to heat soak isn't directly from the heat itself. It's from the computer sensing the high IAT due to te heat soak and deactivating the supercharger clutch so you have 0 boost until the temps cool down a bit.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum so hope you can help.

I currently have a similar issue with my CLS55, I was driving on the motorway in cruise control one day and out of nowhere the car went in to misfire mode and Check Engine Light came on. I was only 2 miles away from home so stopped the car on the side of motorway and didnt bother checking the code and just reset it using my obd machine.

After getting home I immediately noticed a loss of power on hard acceleration. I can cruise all day long under 2500 RPMs without an issue and reach 100 mph plus however as soon as I kick down or accelerate hard it will jerk and revs will not want to go anywhere, a highly embarassing situation when you have a standard fiesta on your tail wanting to over take you!

When I plugged it again in to the diagnostic machine I found a few codes specifically P2017, P20D4

Having searched these forums I have an understanding of what the codes mean but due to various amount of response finding it very hard to pin point the problem or where to start.

Just to also add if I put the car in to manual mode and get the car over 2500 RPMs it will unleash and I will get the car in to 4000-5000 RPM range.

Please let me know if you found a fix and how would I know if this is IC pump failure, air leak, etc? Will it just be a case of trial and error as I do not want to start throwing money at without properly investigating and diagnosing the issue first.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Post this in E55 W211 section. Much more traffic than here. They share same engine, tranny and other components.