C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

SUMMER HEAT WINDOW & MOON ROOF AUTOMATIC OPENING

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS 55 AMG
SUMMER HEAT WINDOW & MOON ROOF AUTOMATIC OPENING

Other day bout 10am had CLS55 AMG parked facing the sun. It's summer and the heat is brutal in Ocala. So, when I came out and opened the door with the key in my pocket, all four windows went down and the moon roof opened up. It was quite a surprise. First time it ever happened.

So, I went to the manual and looked up that feature and tried to duplicate it. I could not get those windows and the roof to open simultaneously. No matter what I did with the key with key-less-go following the instructions it would not happen again.

I am baffled. When it happened, I had the key in my pocket right next to my NAA .22MiniMag pistol. But when I was in my garage and made sure the car was unlocked per the manual instructions and pointed the end at the door handle and pressed and held unlock icon, nothing happened.

Is there any significance to having those sensors in the windshield pointed at the heat of the sun? The automatic simultaneous opening of all five of those items happened then by just opening the door with my hand, key fob in my pocket.

Any settings anywhere for that? I don't get it ... Any ideas out there ?

Thanks Popeye
Old 06-29-2015, 10:09 AM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
THE TEMPERATURE INSIDE OR HEAT ON THE WINDSHIELD MUST BE IMPORTANT

Originally Posted by popeyebedford
Other day bout 10am had CLS55 AMG parked facing the sun. It's summer and the heat is brutal in Ocala. So, when I came out and opened the door with the key in my pocket, all four windows went down and the moon roof opened up. It was quite a surprise. First time it ever happened.

So, I went to the manual and looked up that feature and tried to duplicate it. I could not get those windows and the roof to open simultaneously. No matter what I did with the key with key-less-go following the instructions it would not happen again.

I am baffled. When it happened, I had the key in my pocket right next to my NAA .22MiniMag pistol. But when I was in my garage and made sure the car was unlocked per the manual instructions and pointed the end at the door handle and pressed and held unlock icon, nothing happened.

Is there any significance to having those sensors in the windshield pointed at the heat of the sun? The automatic simultaneous opening of all five of those items happened then by just opening the door with my hand, key fob in my pocket.

Any settings anywhere for that? I don't get it ... Any ideas out there ?

Thanks Popeye
After trying to synchronize all the window controls as stated in the manual I have to conclude that it is TEMPERATURE INSIDE THE CAR, OR HEAT OR LIGHT ON THOSE SENSORS ON THE WINDSHIELD THAT PLAY A PART IN OPENING ALL FOUR WINDOWS AND THE MOON ROOF AND PUTTING THE COOL SEAT ON MAX.

I can't prove it, can't find it written anywhere but logic or common sense says that if the doors are unlocked and the owner hits the open button on the KEYLESS-GO by accident without the heat signature somewhere, that it would become a nuisance by opening all those items when it was not intended. If the heat signature wasn't somewhere in that whole string of actions e.g. 4 windows down, moon roof open, and cool seat put on max was not needed then another way to open all those things at once would be needed.

I still cannot get those things to happen simultaneously....

Guess will try the Mercedes service rep to see if he knows something...
Old 06-29-2015, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Mine all opened halfway when I unlocked the door a couple times this spring. It was sluggish recognizing the key a few times too. Then I left the key on, killed the battery, and now none of my keyless features work. I won't have time to fix it for a while. You may have a problem not a feature.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:58 PM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
Thanks for the experience...

Thanks for your experience. I will keep trying and see if it will wake up. It worked for me when I first bought the car, but since I got it back after the fuel tank replacement I had no reason to try it. It was purely an accident that I activated it when I did. Then when I got it home I could not duplicate that windows half way own thing.

There is a second way to activate the 4 windows down trick in the instructions that I've discovered. That is the recirculation button on the air conditioning. It says if I press and hold that button down that the windows should go down and the sunroof should raise and slide back. I could not get that to work in the garage either. So, I do have a problem of some kind, that's a given.

To eliminate a lazy key fob or something in that automatic opening system I will continue to try to get it to open with the fob. Will also try different ways to get the recirculate air button on the dashboard to open those windows and sunroof. I hear the relays clicking and the rear view mirrors and sound go off, but no simultaneous opening of the 4 windows and sunroof.

Talked to MB no cigar. I will have them check it out next time I have to go in for a service. I have been trying to find the component that is responsible for the simultaneous opening of those things but I cannot find out what component it is at my www.alldata.com subscription either.

Maybe the programming got befuddled when they took all that stuff apart installing the new fuel tanks and fuel pumps and harness etc...Not a big deal, but I am someone who hates to own something that's doesn't work right...These electronics are so complex and sensitive it doesn't take much to make them act up. Maybe it is the lack of lots of sunlight and heat. MB has been pretty darn thorough at considering almost every possible situation, maybe it needs to really be hot. ... Oh well!

cheers...Popeye
Old 06-30-2015, 06:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
You may want to see if that function was an option on your vehicle because if so it may have to programmed to work properly with a Star System.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:12 PM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
HOT DIGGIDY DAWG! MY SUMMER HEAT OPEN WORKS

Went to the dentist, came home, a Florida rain patch passed over my house so I closed my garage door and forgot about it. 30 minutes later the sun was beating down on the roof of my garage which is baked enameled sheet metal panels that link together to make a roof. If it is 1/16" think I would not be surprised. Maybe a little thicker. But essentially when the sun beats on it with the door down, it is a giant pizza oven.

So, I just happened to be doing something in there in the dark, and I says let me try to see if the heat has anything to do with this summer opening feature and sure enough down go the windows and open goes the sunroof. '

So, I am assuming without engineering confirmation that the temperature is an integral part of that feature. It was hot as hell when it happened accidentally in a parking lot without touching the key fob at all. Both instances heat was involved somehow...

Anyway my Summer Opening feature is working ... YAHOO!
Old 07-03-2015, 07:49 PM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
FINAL ADENDUM TO SUMMER HEAT WINDOW OPENING PROBLEM....

Seems that more testing indicates that there was nothing wrong with my summer opening feature. It was all operator error. Color me embarrassed. The problem was the patience of the operator. It was just a matter of waiting until the signal form the key fob had time to enter the antenna and rest of the electronic sensors and get to the 4 doors and the moon roof. Another lesson learned about my CLS55 AMG. ... All's well...

Sorry
Old 08-18-2015, 07:37 PM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
FOUND ANOTHER REASON MINE WOULD NOT OPEN CONSISTENTLY

For those of you who have had problems with the summer opening function for those hot days when you want to air out your car before leaping in. There is another part of the Mercedes CLS55 AMG on my CLS55 AMG at least that was causing my summer opening feature to be inconsistent or intermittent.

I had reported before that it was only my impatience and that I needed to wait for all the electronics to talk to each other then all the windows and the sunroof would open. Well I thought to myself, self you have figured this out. But I was wrong.

I could not get my summer opening feature to open when it was light. The times I had tested it was in my garage with no lights on. Only the 60 watt garage light, and it worked but only sometimes. I could not make it work in the daylight when the garage door was up.

So, it's been a while and I thought today I wonder if those sensors in the windshield (looks to be 8 or 10 light sensors) have anything to do with this summer opening function to be inconsistent in the light. In fact it would not work at all in the light. So, I took a microfiber cloth and covered up those sensors with all the lights on and voila! it worked.

It wasn't slow, it didn't hesitate it just opened up. So a couple of tips to those who have that same problem.

1. Make sure that the car has been open long enough for the lights on the bottom side of the rear view mirrors to go off.

2. Try covering up those sensors in the center of the windshield with a towel to block all the light. Now all I have to do is carry a microfiber cloth with me if I want to open all the windows and the sunroof when the car has been in the sun for an extended period

This is just FYI ... Popeye
Old 09-15-2015, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CLS55 AMG
there has to be something wrong here. I cannot get mine to work either but it makes absolutely no sense that it has to be dark to work as when its dark out the sun it not up and there is no reason to drop all windows because the car is no longer hot inside. hmm...I wonder what the real problem is. I will now try to cover my sensor though, and see if I can get my windows to drop!

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2015, 06:14 PM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
SoSleek,
Explained my experience to MBUSA Engineer, and he said neither heat nor darkness has anything to do with the opening or closing of the moon roof and 4 windows. I have since gone out in the garage in the dark and heat and it has worked well at least once. A time or two I could make it cycle twice. But most of the time, in fact in the day time when I open the garage door to go somewhere and I try to do my summer heat number it has never ever worked. It will work, but only when it wants to.

So, I have no real idea why it is so finicky. I generally never use it anyway as I always
have the key in my pocket and it's too much of a pain in the *** to take it out and squeeze the unlock button. I just open to moon roof with the inside overhead switch and use the keyless go all the time. That's good enough for me.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CLS55 AMG
Is this window down option only equipped in the "Keyless GO" vehicles?
Old 09-15-2015, 06:44 PM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
EITHER SMART KEY OR SMART KEY WITH KEYLESS GO WORK THE SAME

Originally Posted by SoSleek
Is this window down option only equipped in the "Keyless GO" vehicles?
I think that maybe that's a yes, but I am not sure I would have to re-read my manual ... below is a cut and paste from the manual. It should work with any smartkey or smartkey with "KeyLessGo" ...

With the vehicle unlocked, aim trans- mitter eye of the SmartKey or SmartKey with KEYLESS-GO* at the driver’s outside door handle. The SmartKey or SmartKey with KEYLESS-GO* must be in close proxim- ity to the driver’s outside door handle.
􏰂 Press and hold button Œ until the windows and the tilt/sliding sunroof have reached the desired position.
􏰂 Release button Œ to interrupt pro- cedure.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:11 AM

gl450 2008
I have the same issues too on my 08 gl450, like some mine seems to work at night. I dont know if the IR sensor in the remote or in the car is sensitive to light?