C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

New CLS55 AMG Owner! My Car and Questions!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CLS55 AMG
New CLS55 AMG Owner! My Car and Questions!

First I wanted to introduce myself as I am new to the Forum. I am Nick and I live in Minneapolis, MN. I've been in the car scene, Modifying and wrenching, since I was 16 and able to drive (13+ years). I am excited as hell to have just purchased a 2006 CLS55 AMG. Immaculate with only 64k miles. My first Mercedes and my first REAL car!

I have posted several photos below, but more important there are some problems/concerns/questions I have already that I am hoping you guys can help me with. I've dug the forums a bit but some of them are tricky to search for. I have numbered them so it's easier to reference.

1) Power Cut-Out (Supercharger or Timing?)
I have read quite a bit on this topic. This cars a beast...for about 2-3 high pulls. I have noticed two amounts of power reduction. One where it seems the SC is disengaged and another where it seems like limp mode (pulled timing). Either way, I have read the best fixes are a new Heat Exchanger and a upgraded Pump. I am looking at the Bosch 010 Pump and the
Private Label MFG Heat Exchanger. Are these the best options and will this fix this Power Cut-Out problem entirely? Will I see any performance gains?

2) Assisted Trunk Open/Close Not Working
When I first bought the car everything was working properly. I drove it 12 hours home (Ohio > Minneapolis). The next day the Power Trunk Close (door switch) was not working, though the Power Trunk Open was working. Over the next week I started having problems with both function and now neither work. I couldnt find CLS specific info on this but I've read on other models this is automated via the onboard Airmatic system and that there is a air manifold specifically dedicated to the trunk open/close. Is this the same on our CLS55 AMG's? If so could the fix be just to epoxy the unused manifold ports? Or is it an entirely separate issue?

3) Power Rear Sun Shade Not Working
It works sporadically...but rarely. Is this operated via Air too? Could this be linked to the trunk issue?

4) Dynamic Seating Issue

I've only noticed this problem on 2 long distance road trips. With either the "Pulse" or "Dynamic" options activated after an hour or two of driving they all of the sudden deflate all bolsters and turn off the red indicator lights on the controls. They later start working again. Is there a fix for this or is it "normal".

5) Sunroof One-Touch Close Not Working
I've read up on this. All other functions work except the 1-touch close. What I've read is it just needs some Lithium Grease applied in the rails. I just have to pick some up and try it. Are there other solutions if this doesn't work?

Any insight/advice/help you can provide is GREATLY appreciated. I'm a dedicated forum user and will definitely "PASS IT FORWARD!"

On to the photos!

Modifications
  • 20" Vossen 083 Wheels (painted satin black)
  • Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires
  • Lowered (not sure how yet)
  • Professionally Painted Red Calipers
  • Carbon Fiber Interior Package
  • Windows Tinted: 20% all around / 40% windshield
  • and supposedly it's "Chipped"

I bought the car as shown but have many of my own plans
Old 08-07-2015, 07:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
Beautiful vehicle on to your questions
1. That could be a weak pump that based upon what you are choosing to replace it with should solve your problem. For stock purposes that should be fine but for mods the intercooler is a great choice. You'll notice a big difference in performance.
2. There is a wiring harness on the left trunk hinge that is known to fail (wires break inside the harness). Gently open up the area and carefully cut the harness and inspect the wires for signs of breakage. Most times that's the problem.
3. The shade is not AIR operated it is electric. The fact that it works sporadically suggests a loose wire, fuse, or relay. Check there first. Th erratic operation is the most difficult condition to diagnose.
4. Since again it's a case of erratic operation get the manual and see if this is normal. I have the same seats but being an "old timer" my kids use them but I don't. No manual? mbusa.com has them in a pdf file.
5. Try the grease first. Then if it doesn't work get back to us.
6. Would suggest you get the vehicle scanned, write down the codes if any and then clear all the codes. Then if you see a code or one is pending you know it is after your ownership and needs to be addressed. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2015, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
I think it is supposed to be wax on the sunroof rails.
Nice looking car!
Old 08-12-2015, 07:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG
For your sunroof issue, give this a try:

1) Start vehichle (or ignition 2 works too)
2) Push and hold the sunroof button in the direction you're looking to move, say back (full open, not tilt), hold it in the 2nd stage (auto position) until it is fully open and is not moving any more. Hold it for 10 seconds. Do the same in the forward direction as well as the auto tilt up and auto tilt down.
3) Turn car off and remove key.
4) Turn car back on (or ignition 2) and try it.

P.S. this is how you program all of your windows as well. 99% of Merc's use this "programming" feature. Car looks great man!

cheers,
Pete.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:25 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Thank you for all the input guys, I have almost everything corrected. Two more things... When the car is parked aren't the unlock and lock buttons supposed to drop all windows and also raise them if you hold the buttons on the Fab long enough? Is that a standard option? If so, mine does not work. Another thing, my driver seat looks really lop sided and I was wondering if there's a common problem where the air pouches might get shifted? Can't really feel it when sitting but it looks saggy or lop sided when looking at the back area.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:30 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
OHH, and is there a way to get the volume to display on the screen?!?
Old 09-18-2015, 07:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by SoSleek
OHH, and is there a way to get the volume to display on the screen?!?
If anyone has a response for this, I'd love to know if there is a way.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:00 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
for stock and even simple bolt ons the upgraded stock pump is more then enough and if u split the cooling you are good to go. You will not get more power. just insure that you dont lose it over repeated runs

you only lose power when u run silly sized pullies and continuously push the car.