C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Cls55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cls55 amg
Cls55 AMG

Hey guys new to the forums my first post... Forgive me if I do something wrong not aware of the rules yet lol... anyways Just bought my first Mercedes, cls55 amg was just wondering if you guys had any tips on how I take care of this beauty. Also in your own personal experiences with this vehicle what I need to do to properly maintain this car. i know this is a general question but any pointers would be appreciated!! Thanks
Old 11-12-2015, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Welcome to the forum, the search feature is your friend.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CLS55 AMG
How to take care of it: Change oil and air filters frequently, hand wash it (including wheels, exhaust tips, engine bay, interior when applicable), keep tires properly inflated, replace brakes when due, be careful near curbs (with both wheels and bumpers), and drive it FAST

How to maintain it: Buy an aftermarket warranty. It has saved me $3500 in the first 3months of owning mine.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
I recently had my 1st change of spark plugs at 48k miles. Wow. Like getting an 100 xtra hp. Recommend changing the plugs (16). Unfortunately the fuel rail needs to come off to do it. But its worth the performance gain.
In addition, keep an eye on the valve cover sealant. Its a known issue. Other than that, drive like you stole it.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Originally Posted by m_berman
I recently had my 1st change of spark plugs at 48k miles. Wow. Like getting an 100 xtra hp. Recommend changing the plugs (16). Unfortunately the fuel rail needs to come off to do it. But its worth the performance gain.
In addition, keep an eye on the valve cover sealant. Its a known issue. Other than that, drive like you stole it.
Strange, I just did the plugs at 100k, and they looked perfect. Made no difference in power.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
Strange, I just did the plugs at 100k, and they looked perfect. Made no difference in power.
I would have thought the samething.
The work was done the sametime my valve cover sealant/gaskets were replaced due to leakage.
Is it possible that my adaptive driving module was reset from old lady mode to grand theft auto.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:11 PM

Change your oil often -- every 5k miles

I do my own and tip the car down toward the driver's side to let all the oil drain for about a 1/2 hour. Then button everything up and refill with 9 quarts Mobil 1 0W40.

Flush your brake fluid every two years -- AMG's is very hygroscopic.

Drive fast. Really fast and enjoy.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:12 PM

Cls55 amg
Thanks for the replies!! keep them coming :)

I bought the car off of a very nice owner. Only serviced at Mercedes Benz and maintained it well, just before I bought it the spark plugs where changed so I got pretty lucky. I work at an oil/lube shop so I plan on doing the oil changes regularly. I was thinking the same every 5k or so. It's crazy how Mercedes recommends every year . in my service history and book I saw that Mercedes went from a 0w40 weight to a 5w40... (Maybe a cost cutting measure) or its just better for it because of the mileage currently I have 87000 kms in mileage that's about 54500 . I've done a little bit of research and I've heard it has 2 oil pan drain plugs? As well as its easy to damage your oil pan because the bolts are aluminum or something.. So I'm kind of hesitant or you can say a bit worried. Lol I bought it privately so unfortunately I can't buy an extended warranty.. I am not aware of any company that offers something like that down here.. 3500 in the first 3 months
what happened??

Last edited by Rocky321; 11-14-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:26 PM

Cls55 amg
O and I wondered why they flushed the brake fluid every 2 years. I was thinking to myself was it a way of the stealership making more money. But now I know thanks for the info
Old 11-14-2015, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rocky321
I bought the car off of a very nice owner. Only serviced at Mercedes Benz and maintained it well, just before I bought it the spark plugs where changed so I got pretty lucky. I work at an oil/lube shop so I plan on doing the oil changes regularly. I was thinking the same every 5k or so. It's crazy how Mercedes recommends every year . in my service history and book I saw that Mercedes went from a 0w40 weight to a 5w40... (Maybe a cost cutting measure) or its just better for it because of the mileage currently I have 87000 kms in mileage that's about 54500 . I've done a little bit of research and I've heard it has 2 oil pan drain plugs? As well as its easy to damage your oil pan because the bolts are aluminum or something.. So I'm kind of hesitant or you can say a bit worried. Lol I bought it privately so unfortunately I can't buy an extended warranty.. I am not aware of any company that offers something like that down here.. 3500 in the first 3 months
what happened??
No problem Rocky.

I also did some research and saw there were two drain points. At my local Mercedes dealer they showed me the obvious one on the pan. And the other one was a mystery so there you go!

Tipping the car toward the driver's side will IMHO drain all the oil if you wait just a bit. As I mentioned, I've leaned it like that and saw very few drops coming out before putting the drain plug back in. There's a recommendation to change out the drain plug every time you change oil this way but I have been successful re using the same plug. Just be sure to snug the plug firmly but not TOO firm and you'll be fine too.

0W40 is recommended by me in that I felt more power and I get a little better gas mileage using this. I used to use AMSOIL exclusively and switched to Mobil 1 during a period of thriftyness and the fact that AMSOIL hadn't offered 0W40 before (usually 5W40) and I will continue to use Mobil 1 from now on. Now AMSOIL and other companies offer a 0W40 weight too.

Welcome and post some pics when you can.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
You can get the correct (OEM) MANN filter on amazon for about 10 bucks.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Rocky321
what happened??
The common things...Valve Cover Gaskets replaced, Trunklid Wire Harness repaired, Alternator replaced, Battery replaced (out of pocket) and the Power Steering Rack had a slight leak so that got replaced along with a 4-wheel alignment. This was over $5500 worth of warranty work plus the $300 battery. Adds up quick