C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

CLS55, E55, SL55, CL55 and S55 Supercharger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by dyno
yes, I forgot to specify: you'll need a CUSTOM designed gear.

While making a 2-spur gears reduction with a defined fixed center distance to account for isn't anything of stellar difficulty, You'd better enter, for example, ANY shop experienced with gearboxes, as they ares based on the same concept.

There's really no expectation of entering the first mall in the village and ask for an off-the-shelf gear reduction to fit the AMG Lysholm supercharger - Lol

P.S.: those with a deeper interest can start watching this nice review of "Five Hundred and Seven Mechanical Movements" by Henry T. Brown, 1868 http://507movements.com/mm_039.html
In my opinion, its just simply not worth it. Have a look into the math required to create the proper gear tooth profile. I've designed custom gears before, and believe me, it took me over 100 hours to do all of the math and to create the 3D models of them. The cost in machine time would be in the thousands to do a "custom" gear cut on a 5-axis CNC, even a 4-axis CNC with a rotating chuck. No one wants to do work like that because the setup and cutting times would be so large that the customer would give up before even getting started. Many of you will doubt this, but trust me, its not worth it. As an engineer, efficiency is key. And it comes into every aspect, cost of materials, job time, overall costs, time to install etc. There are millions of variables that come into play. So for a basic pulley swap, the same goal is achieved. why bother messing with something so simple? It is often found that the best solutions are the simplest solutions.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
past experience showed frequent problems with big crank pulleys and aftermarket pulleys in general (anyone can simply use the search button on this forum texting cracked pulley, broken keyway, ...)

Anyone should watch closely what's stamped on our pulley and understand that it's indeed an harmonic balancer. Hence, how not only its weight is a critical value http://teamscr.com/motorsports/tech-...r-testing.html
but also its "resonant frequency vibration" (anyone interested can start learning himself from here https://books.google.it/books?id=Gi8...hquake&f=false

I was recently thinking at a smaller S/C pulley ...
but if serious, meaning -except for the sake of just playing with toys- I would not invest anymore in "pulleys" after seeing the same story repeating itself as documented here
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ed-my-car.html

oh ... wait ... I see a "scattershield" option out there
Old 04-29-2016, 06:11 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
past experience showed frequent problems with big crank pulleys and aftermarket pulleys in general (anyone can simply use the search button on this forum texting cracked pulley, broken keyway, ...)

Anyone should watch closely what's stamped on our pulley and understand that it's indeed an harmonic balancer. Hence, how not only its weight is a critical value http://teamscr.com/motorsports/tech-...r-testing.html
but also its "resonant frequency vibration" (anyone interested can start learning himself from here https://books.google.it/books?id=Gi8...hquake&f=false

I was recently thinking at a smaller S/C pulley ...
but if serious, meaning -except for the sake of just playing with toys- I would not invest anymore in "pulleys" after seeing the same story repeating itself as documented here
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ed-my-car.html

oh ... wait ... I see a "scattershield" option out there
That is a very unfortunate case for the vehicle owner. But keep a few things in mind with my future setup:

1. I am not touching the OEM crank pulley or harmonic balancer.
2. He was running a clutched pulley.

In my setup, am completely removing the clutch setup, no clutched pulley, no big black electro-magnet drum. just the input shaft of the supercharger. from there, I will be custom designing a shrink-fit pulley with a bolt through it, or, ill use the pins that held the black drum on to further increase torsional rigidity and have a solid billet 7075 aluminum pulley. all I need to do is measure the stack height of the drum and the clutched pulley once they're off to know the over all length. Once I determine that, I can determine how long to make my pulley. As soon as I park the car to decide to work on it, I will be developing a one-piece CNC'd pulley. the CNC machines responsible for making this can spin parts up to 12-13,000RPM, so while machining, the machine has parameters to accomodate for resonances. it monitors chatter on parts and can adjust accordingly.

this will reduce the rotating mass to VERY minimal weights, which is never a bad thing. It will also work with all existing belt wrap kits and have, hopefully, a beautiful look when complete. anything stylish may add extra weight, so we'll see.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds good ..your going to put a lot of engineering !

Currently I'm Ok with my oem S/C pulley and my modded crank one, also because I'm not racing the car therefore not putting too much stress on it and fear too much.

really, in the end it's all a matter of tastes. sure, Look&sound are key.

GL
Old 04-29-2016, 07:26 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
sounds good ..your going to put a lot of engineering !

Currently I'm Ok with my oem S/C pulley and my modded crank one, also because I'm not racing the car therefore not putting too much stress on it and fear too much.

really, in the end it's all a matter of tastes. sure, Look&sound are key.

GL
My car is going to be a demo car for my dads shop. I plan to put a lot of time and effort into the car to help generate business for him. The car is driven 1-2 times a week, only to cruise and have the occasional WOT blast. Other than that, the car is babied, not driven hard or anything of the sort. Stored in a heated garage all winter on its OEM wheels to avoid flat spotting these new tires. Once I start the mini project, I'll update my build thread, hopefully you guys will follow along and enjoy the view from afar :P

-Pete.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pete, I think its's every father's dream, especially a mechanic, having his son become engineer and helping him in the business !
so, your intention does you a lot of credit

it's a pity you're so far away or I 'd have happily come to your shop for making a few mods I still have in mind ....

Hope you didn't dislike all this discussing here. Sorry but I'm a gearing addicted (walking through different gear- companies for having a different final ratio was one of my first mods - LOL

at least hope you liked the 507 movemnts' link !

Old 04-29-2016, 09:09 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Pete, I think its's every father's dream, especially a mechanic, having his son become engineer and helping him in the business !
so, your intention does you a lot of credit

it's a pity you're so far away or I 'd have happily come to your shop for making a few mods I still have in mind ....

Hope you didn't dislike all this discussing here. Sorry but I'm a gearing addicted (walking through different gear- companies for having a different final ratio was one of my first mods - LOL

at least hope you liked the 507 movemnts' link !

Oh absoutely, i dont mind discussing anything regarding new ideas. I'm a 25 year old guy with nothing but ambition. I have a degree in Mechanical Enginereing Technology and I'm also getting my Millwright's licence, with the combination of those, i can not only design my own parts, but manufacture them, and in case i make a boo-boo, i can repair my own machines.

It's all about keeping business in-house and if the time comes, providing the best customer service possible. A lot of company owners tend to forget where they came from. Everyone is a customer in their lives, they may be a business owner, but they still make purchases as a customer to another business. Customers are the reason businesses are alive, treat them right, and they'll always come back.

-Pete.