C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

W219 Car audio low end

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 07:50 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 CLS 550
Question W219 Car audio low end

Ok guys, at this point, I'm sure everybody knows the low end on the factory harmon kardon system sucks. Almost no bass at all. Question is, I know some of you guys have big, or custom built boxes in the trunk. I wasn't really trying to go that way. I was hoping for a factory sub replacement or other good ideas regarding powered subs, etc.... Not that I'm against having a box in the trunk, but I didn't want the extra weight, I don't want super thunderous bass, just some nice punch to add to the low end... What do some of you guys think? Free air sub with a amp, etc....? I still have the Factory radio and speakers... (Harmon Kardon )
Old 04-16-2020, 05:24 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Sorry mate, can't comment on an upgraded stock location sub sound. I caved in with an extra amp and sub box in the trunk, made a substantial difference to the sound, much fuller. However eventually took it out as you say just extra weight...
Old 04-16-2020, 10:16 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
CLS55
i’d post this in the 211 section, pretty sure we all have the same harmon kardon system
Old 04-21-2020, 09:07 AM

2011 CLS 550
Originally Posted by C32owner
Sorry mate, can't comment on an upgraded stock location sub sound. I caved in with an extra amp and sub box in the trunk, made a substantial difference to the sound, much fuller. However eventually took it out as you say just extra weight...

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid the extra weight, and the thunder vibration. I just want some low end on my sound. Audi has a nice integrated sub woofer in their Q5. I rented one on a road trip and the sound was excellent... I just don't understand how a $89,000 car, has such a ****ty sound system. This is my first benz, I've had it almost 5 years. I never would have though the sound system is so ****ty in a luxury car such as a Benz... I'm looking a powered subwoofers. As long as it sounds good in the car. I'm not worried about the outside....
Old 04-21-2020, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by kbanks45
Yeah, I'm trying to avoid the extra weight, and the thunder vibration. I just want some low end on my sound. Audi has a nice integrated sub woofer in their Q5. I rented one on a road trip and the sound was excellent... I just don't understand how a $89,000 car, has such a ****ty sound system. This is my first benz, I've had it almost 5 years. I never would have though the sound system is so ****ty in a luxury car such as a Benz... I'm looking a powered subwoofers. As long as it sounds good in the car. I'm not worried about the outside....
Couldn't agree more. This has been the worst sounding system (karman kardon) should be embarrassed to have their badge slapped on this.
The following users liked this post:
kbanks45 (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 07:22 AM

2011 CLS 550
Couldn't agree more. This has been the worst sounding system (karman kardon) should be embarrassed to have their badge slapped on this.
Absolutely, I really didn't want a box/amp, because for some reason, it seems like your devaluing the car. I know some guys are into the customized sound systems, and that's cool. But I did all that years ago when I was younger. I picked Mercedes over BMW because I held Benz to a higher standard. I was very close to buy the BMW 650 coupe... But the sound system should be the last thing you have to worry about in a car that cost $79,000 to $95,000... This is the only disappointment I have for this car. Most places want to throw a box and amp in your trunk and send you on your way.... I wonder how many other Benzs have this problem? I never heard anything bad about Mercedes besides the high maintenance. I never heard anything bad about the car audio. That might have swayed my decision if I would've known back then...
Old 04-29-2020, 12:39 PM

Absolutely, I really didn't want a box/amp, because for some reason, it seems like your devaluing the car. I know some guys are into the customized sound systems, and that's cool. But I did all that years ago when I was younger. I picked Mercedes over BMW because I held Benz to a higher standard. I was very close to buy the BMW 650 coupe... But the sound system should be the last thing you have to worry about in a car that cost $79,000 to $95,000... This is the only disappointment I have for this car. Most places want to throw a box and amp in your trunk and send you on your way.... I wonder how many other Benzs have this problem? I never heard anything bad about Mercedes besides the high maintenance. I never heard anything bad about the car audio. That might have swayed my decision if I would've known back then...
Alot of people over the years have been unsatisfied with the stock sound, well more so the ones that really like music. I managed to get better (boosted) or higher sound levels out of mine by installing a headphone amplifier in line with the aux 3.5mm plug in that boosts the level output from my phones jack so the sound is Alot better and much more acceptable to me. I don't listen to the radio as we have crappy stations out here. For some reason the aux 3.5mm input jack the volume levels are really low in the w219 so the headphone amp sorted that out.

Trending Topics

Old 04-29-2020, 01:22 PM

2011 CLS 550
I was hoping to find a powered subwoofer (high end) to install or have installed. But I keep hearing mixed reviews on them. It could be someone that expects huge bass that gives it a bad review and somebody like me who looking for a nice low end that sounds good but not heavy enough to vibrate your car, and gives it a good review... Just need to do my research I guess...lol
Old 05-01-2020, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG
Had the same problem. Radio and CD are loud but aux is low.... I bought a cheap amplifier I think off eBay and ran power to it and it hooks up to aux to boost it. Also might want to mess around with setting under the platform for music you are using.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG
Had the same problem. Radio and CD are loud but aux is low.... I bought a cheap amplifier I think off eBay and ran power to it and it hooks up to aux to boost it. Also might want to mess around with setting under the platform for music you are using.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:14 PM

2011 CLS 550
Originally Posted by Nick Carter
I wasn’t aware we had a platform choice. I think we have different radios. My car is a 2011 with the Harmon Kardon system...

Old 05-06-2020, 06:30 AM

I was hoping to find a powered subwoofer (high end) to install or have installed. But I keep hearing mixed reviews on them. It could be someone that expects huge bass that gives it a bad review and somebody like me who looking for a nice low end that sounds good but not heavy enough to vibrate your car, and gives it a good review... Just need to do my research I guess...lol
I retro fitted an extra amp in the boot/trunk and took out the stock subwoofer. Installed a box with 12 inch subwoofer and it was a much better sound in the cabin, really made a big difference, much fuller sound. So left the stock speakers cabin with stock head unit, and just added an amp to only power the subwoofer in the trunk.
The following users liked this post:
pvitoria (01-18-2024)
Old 05-06-2020, 07:05 AM

2011 CLS 550
I retro fitted an extra amp in the boot/trunk and took out the stock subwoofer. Installed a box with 12 inch subwoofer and it was a much better sound in the cabin, really made a big difference, much fuller sound. So left the stock speakers cabin with stock head unit, and just added an amp to only power the subwoofer in the trunk.
Yeah, it's starting to look like getting a box in the trunk is unavoidable... Why did you remove the factory sub if your using a box? The sound travels better without the sub being in there?
Old 05-12-2020, 07:06 PM

Yeah, it's starting to look like getting a box in the trunk is unavoidable... Why did you remove the factory sub if your using a box? The sound travels better without the sub being in there?
Sorry for the delay here. Yea that was my thinking, the CLS is so well put together so thought having that "hole" through would help as well with the sub in the trunk.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:17 AM

2011 CLS 550
Sorry for the delay here. Yea that was my thinking, the CLS is so well put together so thought having that "hole" through would help as well with the sub in the trunk.
Yeah, see that was my original thought. Just replace the factory sub with a free air sub and put a amp on it... But I guess that sounds easier then it really is... And I haven't seen anybody try it yet....
Old 05-14-2020, 08:44 AM

Yeah, see that was my original thought. Just replace the factory sub with a free air sub and put a amp on it... But I guess that sounds easier then it really is... And I haven't seen anybody try it yet....
I wonder how that would sound? A free air upgraded sub in stock location. At the time though I really wanted to "feel" the bass and the air moving and did not think same sized upgraded sub would be much of a difference. But that was some years ago and I guess things have moved along since then ..
Old 05-14-2020, 09:10 AM

2011 CLS 550
I wonder how that would sound? A free air upgraded sub in stock location. At the time though I really wanted to "feel" the bass and the air moving and did not think same sized upgraded sub would be much of a difference. But that was some years ago and I guess things have moved along since then ..
I've heard free air subs in different vehicles, and with the right amp - woofer combination, it bangs but it don't travel out the car like the standard setup. Your trunk is your box. But never seen anybody try it on a CLS yet...
Old 05-17-2020, 07:03 AM

I've heard free air subs in different vehicles, and with the right amp - woofer combination, it bangs but it don't travel out the car like the standard setup. Your trunk is your box. But never seen anybody try it on a CLS yet...
Cool, let us know what route you decide to take with your results.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:31 AM

2011 CLS 550
Cool, let us know what route you decide to take with your results.
I'm still trying to find a shop that's willing to try it. They all want to stick a box in my trunk, and send me on my way...lol
Old 05-18-2020, 02:39 PM

I'm still trying to find a shop that's willing to try it. They all want to stick a box in my trunk, and send me on my way...lol
Guess they wanting the easy way out, or they know the box will mean a better sounding result which means happier customer.. I remember that shelf sub was quite the bugger to get to.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:43 AM

2011 CLS 550
Guess they wanting the easy way out, or they know the box will mean a better sounding result which means happier customer.. I remember that shelf sub was quite the bugger to get to.
Yeah, but I tell every installer I talk to, I'm not looking for the thunderous bass. I want a nice low end bass that stays in the car. I'm not sure if you ever heard the factory sub in a audi, but it sounds great in the car. It don't travel out, vibrating everything in it's path... I've had all that at a younger age, I'm getting old now.... lol I just want it to sound good in the car, which free air woofers give you. Many don't like free air woofers because they're looking for sound that only a standard woofer will give. I don't know, we'll see. Maybe I'll do a small solo baric box with a single woofer and small amp...
Old 05-20-2020, 09:11 AM

Yeah, but I tell every installer I talk to, I'm not looking for the thunderous bass. I want a nice low end bass that stays in the car. I'm not sure if you ever heard the factory sub in a audi, but it sounds great in the car. It don't travel out, vibrating everything in it's path... I've had all that at a younger age, I'm getting old now.... lol I just want it to sound good in the car, which free air woofers give you. Many don't like free air woofers because they're looking for sound that only a standard woofer will give. I don't know, we'll see. Maybe I'll do a small solo baric box with a single woofer and small amp...
Yea can understand what you mean. I also past my thunderous bass days of 12 inch woofers vibrating every bone in your body lol.. Hence why I took mine out. I'm more for performance now and any unwanted weight is out hence the box is gone. You could always tackle the job yourself. Once the stock free air sub is out match up the sizing and fit in the replacement and wire in your own amplifier below the trunk level.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:34 AM

2011 CLS 550
Yea can understand what you mean. I also past my thunderous bass days of 12 inch woofers vibrating every bone in your body lol.. Hence why I took mine out. I'm more for performance now and any unwanted weight is out hence the box is gone. You could always tackle the job yourself. Once the stock free air sub is out match up the sizing and fit in the replacement and wire in your own amplifier below the trunk level.
lol Yeah, that's why I wanted to pay. Not that I couldn't because I'm a electrician, a Industrial Electrician. I'm to big and lazy to do it myself.... I don't know. We'll see...
Old 05-23-2020, 05:21 AM

lol Yeah, that's why I wanted to pay. Not that I couldn't because I'm a electrician, a Industrial Electrician. I'm to big and lazy to do it myself.... I don't know. We'll see...
Fair enough. Always easier to pay someone else to do it.. Can't believe in these tough times the shops don't want the work...
Old 05-23-2020, 09:26 AM

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Isn't the stock subwoofer already a free air sub? Would a newer free air sub fit the opening?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W219 Car audio low end