CLS Steering very hard - stiff

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS 350 CDI W219
CLS Steering very hard - stiff

Hi,

On reverse parking turning steering wheel close to maximum I heard squealing high pitch noise. Next day, going slowly in town around a corner and suddenly the steering wheel became stiff and hard to turn. finally found someone to install the steering pump.

So far I have changed;
  1. Hydraulic pump ( MEYLE )
  2. Steering Proportioning Valve (BOSCH) - Solenoid that seat between steering rack and column. (thinking it may be the second part failure).
And still on stationary / idle or very low speed the steering wheel turns are way too stiff - really hard to turn left or right. At speed or engine raves it feels almost alright but still somehow firm steering. ( Not as it used to be before the pump failure)

Would someone have an idea as to how it can fixed ? or what to check may be a FUSE some hidden place, I have checked high & low and cannot find as to what may cause it. I have scanned with MP iCarsoft (V2.10) scanner -still no success. Could it be power steering tank filter clogged ( if there is one ) that doesn't allow fluid circulation !?

Mercedes CLS 350 CDI ( 2010 model diesel)
VIN: WDD2193222A169248

Thanks a LOT !
Mykhailo

Last edited by MykhailoM; 08-16-2023 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-16-2023, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 470 Likes on 408 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
The filter is in the reservoir and is not serviceable. In other words, to service the filter you need to replace the reservoir. I would start there and do the bleeding with turning the steering wheel side to side (with wheels from the ground and engine off obviously).

Pictures: https://mbworld.org/forums/c219/8443...ml#post8597467

I used the Febi Bilstein 06161 which is the correct CHF11S fluid

I am curious if the steering is also hard with wheels from the ground (without engine running)